Cancel season and start again in March

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

kokomO
Fresh Alias

Cancel season and start again in March

Post by kokomO »

Only sensible plan would now be to void the season 21-22 and start again in March.

Start again in March and run through to the beginning of November in time to finish for the World Cup in December.

More games for families because of summer holidays, later nights so less electricity costs and most importantly covid/viruses lessen a lot during the summer months.

To all traditionalists I say you have to live with the times and the cards you’re dealt. Tradition goes out the window.

As I say, it’s the only sensible plan left, but when has the efl ever used any common sense.......
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Cancel season and start again in March

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

"Only sensible plan" :lol:
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:29 am "Only sensible plan" :lol:
:lol: :lol:
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Certainly is, all the other decision don’t add up. Extend the season to complete the games means a knock on effect/delay for next season or play 2 times a week for the rest of this season (players welfare/well being issues/competition integrity issues)

As I say, the only SENSIBLE decision left to make in my opinion
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

8 out of the 11 games in L2 are on today.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Yep. Keep the season as is and bring in further restrictions on players who are not vaccinated around the training ground/club etc. It's too late for full impact of vaccines 1, 2 and 3 to kick in for those who are unvaccinated, but at least will limit transmission to others.

And where games are called off, any players suspended or with injuries at the time of the original games are not available for the rearranged game.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:00 am
And where games are called off, any players suspended or with injuries at the time of the original games are not available for the rearranged game.
Not workable.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Good thing Orient have a large squad that isn't injury prone
Jack
Fresh Alias

Post by Jack »

So if the season started in March, and finished in November, what would happen to 'football', between January and August, next year?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

I'd go for a variation on that theme, suspend the season until March / April and finish it in time for the World Cup then rearrange the calendar to avoid the winter months going forward.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Why cancel 8 games unnecessarily?
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Jack wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:05 am So if the season started in March, and finished in November, what would happen to 'football', between January and August, next year?
As I say maybe it’s time to chuck tradition out of the window and turn association football into a summer game ,(for the reasons I mention in my first message)

February to November

Another side bonus of this is we would no longer have to put up with premier league managers bleating on about the Christmas schedule being so unfair EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN year

Win win
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Or just play the vast majority of games that are still able to go ahead, and reschedule the couple of games that can’t.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:13 am Or just play the vast majority of games that are still able to go ahead, and reschedule the couple of games that can’t.
So you think it’s right and ok on supporters and fair for the integrity of the tournament that some teams will be playing 2 a week for the rest of the season.

That’s before we have any possible further cancellations for adverse weather...
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

kokomO wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:20 am Only sensible plan would now be to void the season 21-22 and start again in March.

Start again in March and run through to the beginning of November in time to finish for the World Cup in December.

More games for families because of summer holidays, later nights so less electricity costs and most importantly covid/viruses lessen a lot during the summer months.

To all traditionalists I say you have to live with the times and the cards you’re dealt. Tradition goes out the window.

As I say, it’s the only sensible plan left, but when has the efl ever used any common sense.......
Not a bad plan.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:13 am Or just play the vast majority of games that are still able to go ahead, and reschedule the couple of games that can’t.
Yep. And allow the team who did not call off the game to choose the most convenient date for them as long as reasonable notice is provided.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

We might as well not bother next week as that will be another midweek game if we win.......
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Regret buying my season ticket, can't really be bothered with it all any more
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

EH16 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:17 am
kokomO wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:20 am Only sensible plan would now be to void the season 21-22 and start again in March.

Not a bad plan.
And how do clubs survive without any revenue for the next 8 weeks - and no furlough scheme? Even the hospitality sector is trying to keep going, but you want football to give up??
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:00 am Yep. Keep the season as is and bring in further restrictions on players who are not vaccinated around the training ground/club etc. It's too late for full impact of vaccines 1, 2 and 3 to kick in for those who are unvaccinated, but at least will limit transmission to others.

Your last paragraph would never work especially with injuries. How many times in the past have we seen a player who was supposed to be injured get onto the pitch. Who determines if a player is too injured. I like the rest of your idea but that last part would be too complicated
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

LittleMate wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:33 am
EH16 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:17 am

Not a bad plan.
And how do clubs survive without any revenue for the next 8 weeks - and no furlough scheme? Even the hospitality sector is trying to keep going, but you want football to give up??
A simple loan system from the football league would not work then?

You don’t think the clubs are going to be massively out of pocket for hospitality etc. from having to play (for example) a game that was supposed to be played on New Year’s Day or Boxing Day is now played on a wet Tuesday night in March.... be lucky to get half the crowd for a start.

Bigger crowds in July/August than February or March
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

what a load of hogwash!! you run around more in winter to stay warm ! summer is for sports like golf where 1 can enjoy a stroll & perhaps a pimms !
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:41 am
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:00 am Yep. Keep the season as is and bring in further restrictions on players who are not vaccinated around the training ground/club etc. It's too late for full impact of vaccines 1, 2 and 3 to kick in for those who are unvaccinated, but at least will limit transmission to others.

Your last paragraph would never work especially with injuries. How many times in the past have we seen a player who was supposed to be injured get onto the pitch. Who determines if a player is too injured. I like the rest of your idea but that last part would be too complicated
When the team request postponement from the league because they cannot fulfill the fixture they should list the available players from their squads along with those who are not available for the game and the reasons why, along with evidence of failing a Covid test for those players. That should be happening anyway to determine whether they have the required 14 players. Any falsification of Covid test results should lead to a points deduction. Then for the rearranged game you just dont permit players who were unavailable for non-Covid reasons so you remove the advantage the postponing team take into the rearranged game. Injuries are part and parcel of football so no idea why these are counted towards these postponements.

Part of deliberately waiting until this morning to call off the game is Rovers could claim that last night they had a team ready to play but when a couple of new cases turned up earlier they tried to contact youth team players as replacements but they couldn't get hold of them/had other committments. Seems they have executed the perfect scam given how unlikely it is that they would still be getting so many cases when their team haven't been together for quite a while after earlier postponements.
Last edited by Smendrick Feaselberg on Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:06 pm

When the team request postponement from the league because they cannot fulfill the fixture they should list the available players from their squads along with those who are not available for the game and the reasons why, along with evidence of failing a Covid test for those players. That should be happening anyway to determine whether they have the required 14 players. Any falsification of Covid test results should lead to a points deduction. Then for the rearranged game you just dont permit players who were unavailable for non-Covid reasons.

Injuries are part and parcel of football so no idea why these are counted towards these postponements. I guess part of deliberately waiting until this morning is Rovers could claim that last night they had a team ready to play but when a couple of new cases turned up earlier they tried to contact youth team players as replacements but they couldn't get hold of them/had other committments. Seems they have executed the perfect scam given how unlikely it is that they would still be getting so many cases when their team haven't been together for quite a while after earlier postponements.
You can’t roll over suspensions and injuries to the rearranged days. You’d have to deal with the current injuries and suspensions as well.

I think the simplest thing is if you can’t fulfil the fixture, you forfeit the game, simple as that.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:11 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:06 pm

When the team request postponement from the league because they cannot fulfill the fixture they should list the available players from their squads along with those who are not available for the game and the reasons why, along with evidence of failing a Covid test for those players. That should be happening anyway to determine whether they have the required 14 players. Any falsification of Covid test results should lead to a points deduction. Then for the rearranged game you just dont permit players who were unavailable for non-Covid reasons.

Injuries are part and parcel of football so no idea why these are counted towards these postponements. I guess part of deliberately waiting until this morning is Rovers could claim that last night they had a team ready to play but when a couple of new cases turned up earlier they tried to contact youth team players as replacements but they couldn't get hold of them/had other committments. Seems they have executed the perfect scam given how unlikely it is that they would still be getting so many cases when their team haven't been together for quite a while after earlier postponements.
You can’t roll over suspensions and injuries to the rearranged days. You’d have to deal with the current injuries and suspensions as well.

I think the simplest thing is if you can’t fulfil the fixture, you forfeit the game, simple as that.
I'd happily let the rearranging team have to deal with new injuries too as a result of them needing to call the original game off.

But yeah, either forfeiting it or even a one point deduction plus rearranged game would be a deterrent.