Smart Meters

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Smart Meters

Post by Thor »

That’s what the world needs Sid more people helping others and not be selfish thinking only of themselves. Well done sir keep up the good work.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Thor wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:13 am That’s what the world needs Sid more people helping others and not be selfish thinking only of themselves. Well done sir keep up the good work.
I suppose much of the way I am is down to the sort of way I was brought up living in the countryside. My mum was a very good cook, she made all her own pies, OMG, Apple pies and steak and kidney pies to die for, used the fruit from from the garden to make her own jams, chutney etc also made lovely marmalade !! Funny enough, I have been making green tomato chutney the last few weeks based on her old recipes. Mum also worked in a hotel, cooking the breakfasts. I was the youngest of 3 children and we all had to help mum with the cooking, doing housework, washing up and all the general duties involved in running a house. Like that, from an early age, we all learnt to be self sufficient and how to cook and run a house. My father worked in a bank and taught us basic maths and involved us in how to run the financial side of our lives, household budgets etc. That was not the end of our duties though ! My parents lived on a 10 acre small holding, old cottage around 300 years plus old ! It needed a lot of work doing to it when purchased in 1954 for £2500 !! So anyway, all us kids had to help with doing the gardening, feeding the animals including the chickens etc. Hardly the sort of life that kids get nowadays, also helped dad when he did his carpentry and building work, repairs etc. He built a massive double garage with combined workshop and many stables in the field for cows, horses and pigs. He also grew vegetables in a massive vegetable garden he created. All this after cycling about 10 miles to work in a bank and 10 miles back after work ! As a kid I never really appreciated all the hard work mum and dad did, but I do now ! Lastly one time after we had ate our midweek dinner at around 6.30 pm, well we always listened to the radio as we ate, anyway I said to my mum
''Whats for afters'' to which she replied ''the washing up'' yes that just about says it all ! Lastly my mother came from a large family, her father was a self made man, a builder who as a kid went to America with his brother. Anyway, my mother and father always impressed on us to treat all people fairly and equally, regardless of status or wealth and I have tried to keep to that.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Anyone got one in the last year?
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:10 pm Anyone got one in the last year?
Not as yet, but the provider (SSE) are pushing hard still.
Phone calls, and even texts saying "did you see our important email". When I refer to the email - take a guess what it's about

They're pushing so hard I've determined there must be a lot more in it for them, than there is for me, so as yet have declined to acquiesce.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Also being nudged. My main worry is one day they start charging for them, that and them using it to control my new microchip of course.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

The smart meter rollout has been a long and drawn out process; to say its gone a bit Pete Tong would be an under-statement. So trying to roll out yet another smart meter will be fun! Public apathy will see this all on its arse IMO.

In a generation's time, a great many properties will be "harvesting" solar power and storing it in batteries for use. Its one of the only ways to fill the energy gap between consumption and production.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

If people can exercise their personal freedom by remaining unvaccinated then I will express my libertarian values by refusing to have a smart meter installed. Two can play this game you know.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Smart meter? Idiot meter, more like.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

I moved in to my current house July 2020. Smart meter already installed but is now not compatible with my new energy suppliers systems. I won’t get any kind of new Smart meter until the energy suppliers agree on a Standard of meter which is compatible with all suppliers. Ridiculous that this is not already the case.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

BoniO wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm I moved in to my current house July 2020. Smart meter already installed but is now not compatible with my new energy suppliers systems. I won’t get any kind of new Smart meter until the energy suppliers agree on a Standard of meter which is compatible with all suppliers. Ridiculous that this is not already the case.
I didn't realise that they were closed-protocol to separate suppliers. That's insane. What does that mean if you're one of those affected by the energy companies going bust?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Then, probably, the meter won’t work. I believe that some meters will work with some other suppliers but it seems very hit and miss. My new supplier said they’d try and see if they could communicate with the existing smart meter - they didn’t know if it would or not. Given that comms standards have been in place for decades in the Computer industry it beggars belief just how badly the energy industry has implemented smart meters. Unless they own the manufacture of Smart meters of course….
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Dunners wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:29 pm
BoniO wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm I moved in to my current house July 2020. Smart meter already installed but is now not compatible with my new energy suppliers systems. I won’t get any kind of new Smart meter until the energy suppliers agree on a Standard of meter which is compatible with all suppliers. Ridiculous that this is not already the case.
I didn't realise that they were closed-protocol to separate suppliers. That's insane. What does that mean if you're one of those affected by the energy companies going bust?
Free energy!😂
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

BoniO wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:44 pm Then, probably, the meter won’t work. I believe that some meters will work with some other suppliers but it seems very hit and miss. My new supplier said they’d try and see if they could communicate with the existing smart meter - they didn’t know if it would or not. Given that comms standards have been in place for decades in the Computer industry it beggars belief just how badly the energy industry has implemented smart meters. Unless they own the manufacture of Smart meters of course….
Thanks. Not that I needed much encouragement to try and avoid one, but your example perfectly illustrates how dysfunctional and ridiculous the whole set up has been.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:20 pm
BoniO wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:44 pm Then, probably, the meter won’t work. I believe that some meters will work with some other suppliers but it seems very hit and miss. My new supplier said they’d try and see if they could communicate with the existing smart meter - they didn’t know if it would or not. Given that comms standards have been in place for decades in the Computer industry it beggars belief just how badly the energy industry has implemented smart meters. Unless they own the manufacture of Smart meters of course….
Thanks. Not that I needed much encouragement to try and avoid one, but your example perfectly illustrates how dysfunctional and ridiculous the whole set up has been.
E.On tried to make getting a smart meter a condition of getting their cheaper rates. I held out until the end of the deal and then blind sided them by jumping to Pepoles Energy.

Unfortunately they out flanked me by going boobies North. I was passed as a hostage to Scotch Gas who are now bleating on about getting a smart meter. It's going to be a long slog this winter fighting off the surveillance capitalist scum.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Still resisting endless calls as fitters always seem to be in my area and the offers of slots to fit available.

I remain confident in my belief that I don’t need a meter to tell me how to reduce my energy costs. Meter readers jobs already gone, Internet readings provided.

Next will be a meter that informs me that I need to breath in order to stay alive.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Its all so they can implement surge pricing.
KVN
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by KVN »

I dont believe in them, unless they bill me slower I can't see the point in getting a new meter that can spy on you and posible charge you more.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pm Its all so they can implement surge pricing.
My current deal doesn't allow surge pricing.
KVN
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by KVN »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:24 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pm Its all so they can implement surge pricing.
Unless you got a new more easily manipulated meter.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

KVN wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:27 pm
That would be a volte face from my present arrangements.
KVN
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by KVN »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:26 pm
KVN wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:27 pm

That would be a volte face from my present arrangements.
Not if u altered how units were measured, my shoe size went up because they made the sizes smaller, I can deny it but im still not fitting into a 9.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

The reason the electricity companies want everyone to have a smart meter is because from next year they will all have binding targets to meet, so it won't be too long before any tempting new tariff comes with the requirement to have a smart meter.

The latest meters, unlike the first generation, should work with all suppliers so once you have one, you're good. Obviously the meter has no knowledge of what applicances you have, so the whole Mail article is nonsense. Quelle suprise.

I don't have one, but I guess it's inevitable at some point. There's pro's and con's. It may help some people budget by giving them a clear real-time view of usage costs, and it may lead to more innovative pricing with multiple rates. Or they might charge you more - who knows.

Can't be too much more though, it costs a fortune now!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63554879

Remotely changing people to prepay.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:58 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63554879

That is way out of order.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:58 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63554879

another reason not to agree to a smart meter in the first place.

Energy companies can do this remotely with a smart meter, whereas with a proper meter they need a court order, and therefore a degree of judicial oversight of power companies is removed when you agree to a smart meter being fitted