Charity shops

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Charity shops

Post by Long slender neck »

I like a rummage to look for bargains, but lately most of them have jacked their prices up to ludicrous levels.

Best purchase probably years ago i got a microscope for 50p.

Still find them good for kids games and books.

Last purchase was a kids card game, still in wrapping £2
Hugo Ball Boy
Fresh Alias

Re: Charity shops

Post by Hugo Ball Boy »

Often staffed by antique and collectible dealers. Rarely do you see anything ‘antique’ on display as it does not get out of the sorting room.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long gone are the days when you could drop your used clothes off, and then buy them back for a couple of quid after the charity shop had gone to the trouble of washing them for you.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Dunners wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:59 pm Long gone are the days when you could drop your used clothes off, and then buy them back for a couple of quid after the charity shop had gone to the trouble of washing them for you.
Terrific scam.
Jack
Fresh Alias

Post by Jack »

Five or six years ago, you could buy stuff at reasonable prices, but those days have gone. Like many others, charity shops , i believe, are trying to make up for the shortfall they suffered, during lockdown(s), when they had to close, and obviously, took nothing at all.
I have seen T shirts for sale, for £4, which are available, brand new in Primark for £2-50p.
About three years ago, i bought a brand new, still in the wrapper saucepan, for £2, last week in the same shop, a tatty old worn saucepan was £2-50p
The days of bargains are well and truly over
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Well they're definitely good for charities.
Saying that you should have seen the prices of the hippie tat pre loved shops I rummaged through in Hebden Bridge last Saturday morning before I went to Rochdale.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

So true about “Charity” shops.However 2 years back I bought a deluxe wooden scrabble in great condition for £5.I’ve seen the same version on eBay for £65+.As I walked out the shop a couple saw and said they had just come to purchase it…Ha!
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Bet they were lost for words
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Saw Monopoly in one here that was 'made in Britain', must be old, i thought.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Constanza wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:57 pm Bet they were lost for words
👍🏾😁
Mr Wu
Fresh Alias

Post by Mr Wu »

Dunners wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:59 pm Long gone are the days when you could drop your used clothes off, and then buy them back for a couple of quid after the charity shop had gone to the trouble of washing them for you.
My wife used to work in a charity shop and they do not wash the clothes,they have a steamer to take out the creases and put them up in the shop.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

You seem to have misunderstood that the 'charity' element of charity shops isn't for the benefit of the customers.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I would think the well off prefer to shop elsewhere anyway
KC & sunshine band
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by KC & sunshine band »

have donated and purchased from charity shops for years

Lovely people volunteering their time for nothing, but i have to say have never ever ever seen them doing any research
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

What are these places really like? Lidl, Aldi, Primark. Been past them a few times and they have always struck me as pretty ghastly. Are there lots of poor people in them? Without sounding rude, do they smell? Do they ask for money? They don’t try and talk to you do they?
KC & sunshine band
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Beradogs wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:59 pm What are these places really like? Lidl, Aldi, Primark. Been past them a few times and they have always struck me as pretty awful. Are there lots of poor people in them? Without sounding rude, do they smell? Do they ask for money? They don’t try and talk to you do they?
They are the same lovely talented people who are skilled, hard working (probably 60 hours a week on minimum wage) conscientious and work hard.
Because of recent times their flexibility and talent means they have to work for not one but several organisations. Not only the ones that you mentioned as well as Harrods, marks, Liberty and Debenhams always with a smile !
Any chance of a mortgage, any chance of a loan, hopefully pay this weeks bill?
But remember they are the same people when you walk in with your attitude, will look behind their mask and say, here comes another f*cking ignorant, rude, Tosser !
Hugo Ball Boy
Fresh Alias

Post by Hugo Ball Boy »

KC & sunshine band wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:46 pm have donated and purchased from charity shops for years

Lovely people volunteering their time for nothing, but i have to say have never ever ever seen them doing any research
Not all work for nothing. Some are on Community Service and don’t want to be there. Managers are paid
KC & sunshine band
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Hugo Ball Boy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:26 pm
KC & sunshine band wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:46 pm have donated and purchased from charity shops for years

Not all work for nothing. Some are on Community Service and don’t want to be there. Managers are paid
what one are you ?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Beradogs wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:59 pm What are these places really like? Lidl, Aldi, Primark. Been past them a few times and they have always struck me as pretty ghastly. Are there lots of poor people in them? Without sounding rude, do they smell? Do they ask for money? They don’t try and talk to you do they?
Hey Bera, 1986 called, it wants your loadsamoney routine back.