Azeem Rafiq

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Azeem Rafiq

Post by tuffers#1 »

Some Members of the Yorkshire cricket board
are to resign on Friday at some point .

" The cruel world of Cricket " !
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Beradogs wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:39 pm If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?.
Yes
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Clive Evans wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:55 pm I worked years in BT & there were a lot Asians who worked there. Banter was rife. The younger Whites, quickly caught on to the fact that if you asked an Indian if they were Pakistani, they got offended as Indians and Pakistanis have History. So quickly all Asians were dubbed Pakis- As a maximum impact banter insult. It didn't just end there. I knew someone who was Mr McHardy. So they said: "Oh! you're a Jock" He denied Scot's heritage vehemently. Within in a couple of years his missus would ring up asking for Jock. Despite the fact I was born in Tufnell Park, I was Taff or called a sheep shagger etc etc. The Brits bore these psuedo insults stoically.
But I believe more recent migrants to UK are sensitive Souls and the banter has been dropped.
As for the Azeem Rafiq affair I listened to a lady on Radio 4 Today. Gary Ballance's apology seemed to be more sorry that he got nailed rather than sorry for any offence. Then she said:" he got called a " Zimbi or a Zimbo " but that's alright as it the same as calling someone a Limey or Taff etc "Oh!
Haha, i bet they just loved that banter. Its 2021 Clive, i would think BT don't have the same sort of banter in the workplace today.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Meanwhile in India.................Click the link to read the article in full.

T20 World Cup: When Indian fans are jailed for celebrating Pakistan's win

By Rajini Vaidyanathan
BBC South Asia Correspondent
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-59130556

Pakistan hammered India by 10 wickets to claim a famous win over their great rivals
Like millions of others around the world, Nafeesa Attari was glued to her screen as India played Pakistan in their opening match of the T20 World Cup.
The schoolteacher from the northern Indian city of Udaipur watched as Pakistan won the match by 10 wickets in what was a clinical and emphatic win.
Days later she was arrested and held in a police cell. Her apparent crime: her WhatsApp status celebrating Pakistan's victory.
She is among several Muslims in India who have been arrested or detained for supporting Pakistan in the recent match - raising fresh concerns about freedom of speech in the world's largest democracy. Observers argue that these arrests are the latest weapon in the governing Hindu nationalist
"Jeeeet gayeeee… We wonnn," Ms Attari wrote, over an image of some of the team's players in her WhatsApp status.
Her post was spotted by one of her students' parents, who sent it to others before it went viral on the messaging service.
Ms Attari was fired from her teaching job, and arrested under a section of the Indian Penal Code, which criminalises "assertions prejudicial to national integration". In an interview with a local TV channel, she appeared visibly distressed as she apologised for causing offence.

"When in the law is it a crime to support an opposition cricket team?" asks Sharda Ugra, a cricket journalist and social commentator.
"Should people of Indian origin in the UK or Australia be arrested for supporting India? It's obviously a deliberate religious divide that's being provoked on both sides."
There are also examples of similar incidents on the other side of the border.
In 2016, a Pakistani fan of India's cricket captain, Virat Kohli, was arrested after hoisting the Indian flag as a tribute to him.
When it comes to cricket, passions run high in both nations, but these latest arrests in India have come as a shock to many who feel that the space for freedom of expression is shrinking fast.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am Meanwhile in India.................Click the link to read the article in full.

By Rajini Vaidyanathan

Pakistan hammered India by 10 wickets to claim a famous win over their great rivals
Like millions of others around the world, Nafeesa Attari was glued to her screen as India played Pakistan in their opening match of the T20 World Cup.
The schoolteacher from the northern Indian city of Udaipur watched as Pakistan won the match by 10 wickets in what was a clinical and emphatic win.
Days later she was arrested and held in a police cell. Her apparent crime: her WhatsApp status celebrating Pakistan's victory.
She is among several Muslims in India who have been arrested or detained for supporting Pakistan in the recent match - raising fresh concerns about freedom of speech in the world's largest democracy. Observers argue that these arrests are the latest weapon in the governing Hindu nationalist
"Jeeeet gayeeee… We wonnn," Ms Attari wrote, over an image of some of the team's players in her WhatsApp status.
Her post was spotted by one of her students' parents, who sent it to others before it went viral on the messaging service.
Ms Attari was fired from her teaching job, and arrested under a section of the Indian Penal Code, which criminalises "assertions prejudicial to national integration". In an interview with a local TV channel, she appeared visibly distressed as she apologised for causing offence.

"When in the law is it a crime to support an opposition cricket team?" asks Sharda Ugra, a cricket journalist and social commentator.
"Should people of Indian origin in the UK or Australia be arrested for supporting India? It's obviously a deliberate religious divide that's being provoked on both sides."
In 2016, a Pakistani fan of India's cricket captain, Virat Kohli, was arrested after hoisting the Indian flag as a tribute to him.
When it comes to cricket, passions run high in both nations, but these latest arrests in India have come as a shock to many who feel that the space for freedom of expression is shrinking fast.
India/Pakistan
Another example of failure on behalf of
" The Empire " .
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

tuffers#1 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:03 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am Meanwhile in India.................Click the link to read the article in full.

By Rajini Vaidyanathan

India/Pakistan
" The Empire " .
Yes blame the many centuries of religious intolerance as all down to the UK. It happened for centuries before England went there and seems like it will carry on for centuries after we left.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:12 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:03 pm

By Rajini Vaidyanathan

India/Pakistan
" The Empire " .
Yes blame the many centuries of religious intolerance as all down to the UK. It happened for centuries before England went there and seems like it will carry on for centuries after we left.
It happened in 1 country before the Empire
It happened in 2 countries after .

How to make a bad situation worse .
Get "Conquered" by
"The Empire".
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I note that the head of the Yorkies Cricketbatz team has resigned and acknowledges that the racial epithets were not in fact bantz as was first thought. Inconceivable.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:24 pm I note that the head of the Yorkies Cricketbatz team has resigned and acknowledges that the racial epithets were not in fact bantz as was first thought. Inconceivable.
The Transistor stations are all saying
He is the fall guy , he wasnt even there when it all occured.
They go onto say the Rabid Racist types are.still in the background
Snickering .

Dirty Scum .
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

I’m loving the support from Rana Naved ul-Hasan over the alleged claims against Vaughan.

The former Pakistan star was asked why he did not complain immediately and added: ‘I did nothing at the time because I was a professional player then. As Muslims, we just try and play cricket and be fair.

'I’m reacting now because it’s a true story and he’s denied it.

‘He was a senior player at the time, captain or vice-captain as well and we respect the senior people. That’s why I ignored it. Those words are not good for us, especially Asian people.’

Why does he have to bring his religion in to it as though it makes him more believable?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Why have your focused on him referencing his religion and ignored the racism he has suffered?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:00 am Why have your focused on him referencing his religion and ignored the racism he has suffered?
Has he suffered racism? He’s only just alleged it in the last couple of days.
The point is though you don’t get others coming out and saying “as a Christian/Catholic/Jehovahs Witness etc I deny all allegations against me. It’s not what we do”.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Ornchurch wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:18 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:00 am Why have your focused on him referencing his religion and ignored the racism he has suffered?
The point is though you don’t get others coming out and saying “as a Christian/Catholic/Jehovahs Witness etc I deny all allegations against me. It’s not what we do”.
Christians do it. My mum did it when she got stopped for drunk driving once.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Max B Gold wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:29 am
:lol:
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Ornchurch wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:38 am
Max B Gold wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:29 am

:lol:
This was after the cops said they could smell alcohol from the car cabin to which she said " yes its from my husband he's been drinking all day up at that bowling club"

She was well over the limit but was never convicted which she put down to the intervention of the baby Jesus on her behalf.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Azeem Rafiq says he is "incredibly hurt" that England captain Joe Root said he could not recall ever witnessing racism at Yorkshire.

England Test captain Root says the racism scandal at his county side has "fractured our game and torn lives apart".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59252631

Looks like its stil rumbling on .
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Another one gone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59220663

Yorkshire chief executive Mark Arthur has resigned
following the racism scandal at the club
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

And another

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

I wonder if Joe Root still didnt see or hear anything ?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:20 pm And another

Ridiculous. An unfounded allegation from a board meeting 4 years ago.

If John Stephenson wants to issue statements like:-

“Newly-appointed Essex Cricket Chief Executive, John Stephenson, said: “There is no place for discrimination of any kind at Essex County Cricket Club.

“This is a proud Club with a zero-tolerance policy towards racism and any form of discrimination and, as Essex Cricket’s new Chief Executive Officer, I will not hesitate to uphold those principles and drive out any form of discrimination that is uncovered.

“I was made aware of this single allegation on Thursday having joined the Club four weeks ago. The Board met last night [Thursday] during which John Faragher’s resignation was unanimously accepted by the Board.”

then surely everyone who was present at said board meeting, who is still at the club, must resign as they have not reported it previously and must be complicit by their silence.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Ornchurch wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:08 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:20 pm And another

Ridiculous. An unfounded allegation from a board meeting 4 years ago.

If John Stephenson wants to issue statements like:-

“Newly-appointed Essex Cricket Chief Executive, John Stephenson, said: “There is no place for discrimination of any kind at Essex County Cricket Club.

“This is a proud Club with a zero-tolerance policy towards racism and any form of discrimination and, as Essex Cricket’s new Chief Executive Officer, I will not hesitate to uphold those principles and drive out any form of discrimination that is uncovered.

“I was made aware of this single allegation on Thursday having joined the Club four weeks ago. The Board met last night [Thursday] during which John Faragher’s resignation was unanimously accepted by the Board.”

then surely everyone who was present at said board meeting, who is still at the club, must resign as they have not reported it previously and must be complicit by their silence.
That would seem a reasonable assumption.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Rafiqs appearance at committee today made for incredibly grim reading. It was always obvious that what was happening at Yorkshire was tip of the iceberg but the scale of complicity within the game is shameful. Have always wondered why cricket has remained such a white sport despite large expat communities from big cricketing countries, makes a lot more sense now. If not racist to the core, then way too many people willing to turn a blind eye to obvious cases of prejudice.

You'd assume Vaughn is finished as a commentator, he's always given off a strong racialist-curious vibe anyway. Aggers, Bumble et all trying to cast doubt on Rafiqs account of event looks pretty tawdry as well. And as for Ballance and Hales, what two absolute d*ckheads. They don't even have the excuse of being dinosaurs in suits.

Real basket case of a sport.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

He might be lying? He is getting compensation after all. Before you start, the women the other day that everyone on Twitter defended when she had killed her husband, turned out she was a psychopath. Should we only believe someone because they “look vulnerable” ?
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

........ and to add insult to injury, Martyn Moxon might even be a Zionist.