Replacements

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Replacements

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

dOh Nut wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:14 pm

News of two forwards coming in a week or so in according to Travis. That suggests to me one of decent quality a first 11 starter and a bench player. Alabi, despite me thinking he would figure, may not. Assume job done as far as strikers are concerned. Good news

What concerns me is what he didn't say, such as a CM coming in. Going with what we have is a major concern. I felt all too often last season we got bossed in midfield. I sincerely hope we are also looking for a strong CM player.
Why do you need reassurance over what he didn't say? Do you honestly feel with two midfielders leaving, one likely not going to play every week and one joining that there will not be at least one more coming in? Why do Orient fans need their hand held through things like this?
We don't. At the end of the day what us fans want or think counts for zero. Its not our club, we have no influence and our opinions count for naff all . We just buy tickets and turn up for matches in the hope of good results and get the odd accolade of a valuable 12th man. Anyone who thinks we matter any more than that is delusional. We just contribute to the finances.

But a bit of fun speculating and posting on this forum is not too much to expect. We all know it matters not.
When you say something concerns you that doesn't sound like fun to me.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

You cry and whine along with a couple of others constantly about signings. SF is spot on, you need your hand held through every close season period.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

There’s a bit of an over reaction going on in this thread. Where we are today in terms of squad will bare no relation to the one that’s ready to begin the league campaign. Let the club do it’s business and then see where we are.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Thor wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:34 am There’s a bit of an over reaction going on in this thread. Where we are today in terms of squad will bare no relation to the one that’s ready to begin the league campaign. Let the club do it’s business and then see where we are.
No. I want signings and I want them NOW!

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Wright is a replacement for Lee, not Lawless.

We may need another defender if we sell Happe and the thug.
PotatOhead
Fresh Alias

Post by PotatOhead »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 am Wright is a replacement for Lee, not Lawless.

:lol:
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 am Wright is a replacement for Lee, not Lawless.

That doesn't bode well as Wright was hardly known for being the type of player to take CM by scruff of the neck. Lee was the more physical of the two who were released so I don't see Wright in the same mould.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

gshaw wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:35 pm

That doesn't bode well as Wright was hardly known for being the type of player to take CM by scruff of the neck. Lee was the more physical of the two who were released so I don't see Wright in the same mould.
You're saying it doesn't bode well based on the opinion of a fan on a messageboard though. You won't know what the reality is until we've completed our signings for the summer.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Correct SF
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:53 pm

You're saying it doesn't bode well based on the opinion of a fan on a messageboard though. You won't know what the reality is until we've completed our signings for the summer.
And? Is this the old argument that if you're not the (interim) manager opinions aren't allowed? All I know is we seem to have had no issues making deals to sell our assets quickly but aren't moving so fast at getting people in when others seem to have large chunks of their squad sorted already.

Will be more than happy for this to be quoted back at me in a few weeks if 4 more quality players come in to bring the squad up to a stronger state overall than it ended last season. Until then jury is firmly out, especially after last summer's poor recruitment.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

gshaw wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:54 pm

And? Is this the old argument that if you're not the (interim) manager opinions aren't allowed? All I know is we seem to have had no issues making deals to sell our assets quickly but aren't moving so fast at getting people in when others seem to have large chunks of their squad sorted already.

Will be more than happy for this to be quoted back at me in a few weeks if 4 more quality players come in to bring the squad up to a stronger state overall than it ended last season. Until then jury is firmly out, especially after last summer's poor recruitment.
It's nothing to do with not being the manager, interim or otherwise, and all to do with the fact that you're judging our situation in five weeks time on what we have now when we know more players will be incoming in the meantime. If we had a league game next weekend then fair enough. But you can't mix the present and the future in an argument when it's the close season and there is a five week gap to the next game.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

We all know that. But it’s more fun to speculate, hypothesise, guess, imagine, predict. So 99.9% of the time were wrong, so what. It makes the world go round. There are times to wait and see for sure, but let’s have some fun.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Always thought of Lee as a more attack minded midfielder, although he could head a ball well.

Of course we need someone who can tackle.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

The club knew after Wembley that Bonne and a Koroma were gone and their agents would have virtually done all the work by then so the club only had to agree a fee with the buying club or in Bonnes case that was already in his contract.

Much more complex buying players as you might be dealing with agent/player/club or possibly all three. We lined up Wilkinson from the end of last season and got it done quickly but I think it was an unusual situation as we probably did a lot of work on the deal in January when we first tried to get him and both player and agent were clearly onside. As Ling has said we have lists of targets, that doesn't mean that deals can be done in a day or two because other clubs may have the same targets and the players holding out for better deals. Also the whole world knows we have £700k in our kitty and some players and clubs will be after silly money. There's more than five weeks to go before the season starts, we all want to see some decent signings if we have to wait a week or two to get the right ones that's fine by me.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Top of the West. wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:46 pm

The club knew after Wembley that Bonne and a Koroma were gone and their agents would have virtually done all the work by then so the club only had to agree a fee with the buying club or in Bonnes case that was already in his contract.

Much more complex buying players as you might be dealing with agent/player/club or possibly all three. We lined up Wilkinson from the end of last season and got it done quickly but I think it was an unusual situation as we probably did a lot of work on the deal in January when we first tried to get him and both player and agent were clearly onside. As Ling has said we have lists of targets, that doesn't mean that deals can be done in a day or two because other clubs may have the same targets and the players holding out for better deals. Also the whole world knows we have £700k in our kitty and some players and clubs will be after silly money. There's more than five weeks to go before the season starts, we all want to see some decent signings if we have to wait a week or two to get the right ones that's fine by me.
Surely buying and selling players are of equal complexity as one club is buying and the other selling.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

In the case of Bonne and Koroma they knew they were going a few weeks ago only real issue in both deals was Koroma's fee, we knocked back HTFC's first offer for Josh but they soon came back and agreed to what we wanted because other clubs were interested and so we were in a strong position. so while they were seemingly fairly straightforward and quick deals they had been in the making for a few weeks. The only thing for LOFC to do was agree the fees with the clubs.

gshaw wrote:-"All I know is we seem to have had no issues making deals to sell our assets quickly but aren't moving so fast at getting people in"

In all probability we have been talking to players and clubs for a few weeks also, but when it comes to good forwards in particular it's a sellers market because everyone wants a goalscorer. In buying a player we may have to deal with player/agent and possibly their club agree a fee before we even get that far only then can we discuss terms with player and agent, It's more involved.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

It will happen in good time however, I’d like them in for pre season early, saying that they’ll be undertaking pre season with their club so it’s not too bad from a fitness perspective.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Thor wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:36 am It will happen in good time however, I’d like them in for pre season early, saying that they’ll be undertaking pre season with their club so it’s not too bad from a fitness perspective.
The club have said previously how important a good preseason is. Not just fitness but team building and playing to get match fit. Not too sure just how much attention they will get with their ex club once the contract has expired and they are on their way.

I have little doubt newcomers will be here in time to get involved in a couple of games but bye and large our squad is nearly in place so not too concerned. We can field a decent side and with 7 subs newcomers can blend in early on.

I’m assuming we don’t bring in players like Gorman who wasn’t ready and when he did appear, to me, never really looked sharp at all. Expecting more from him after a rest and full preseason.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Top of the West. wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 pm In the case of Bonne and Koroma they knew they were going a few weeks ago only real issue in both deals was Koroma's fee, we knocked back HTFC's first offer for Josh but they soon came back and agreed to what we wanted because other clubs were interested and so we were in a strong position. so while they were seemingly fairly straightforward and quick deals they had been in the making for a few weeks. The only thing for LOFC to do was agree the fees with the clubs.

gshaw wrote:-"All I know is we seem to have had no issues making deals to sell our assets quickly but aren't moving so fast at getting people in"

In all probability we have been talking to players and clubs for a few weeks also, but when it comes to good forwards in particular it's a sellers market because everyone wants a goalscorer. In buying a player we may have to deal with player/agent and possibly their club agree a fee before we even get that far only then can we discuss terms with player and agent, It's more involved.
It's incredibly simplistic for people to say "We sell players quickly so why can't we sign players quickly? Typical Orient". There is a different process for each whereas we only see the end of the buying/selling/signing on a free transaction and not the process to get there beforehand. And while there may be a consistent process flow in each of these individually, different buying, selling or signing transactions will take varying amounts of time for different reasons.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

[/quote]
So 99.9% of the time were wrong, so what.[/quote]

No- that's just you.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Red_Army wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:16 pm
So 99.9% of the time were wrong, so what.[/quote]

No- that's just you.
[/quote]

Me, make that 100%. When it really mattered my hit rate was incredibly high. But this forum, our opinions count for 0% in reality so I can live with getting it wrong. Right/wrong. Don’t make a jot of difference except for personal egotistical reasons. I dont need this forum to boost my ego. Happy to be a crap forecaster.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:12 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:00 pm This is very similar to last year this time. Other clubs get their players in before pre season training, and we dont.

Last year I was told by many on here to have patience, and all will be fine......then we signed Alabi & Gorman!!! two of the worst signings ever.

Last year we hadnt let about 6 players go, at the end of the previous season, which we have now.

Weve signed two, and we need four more IMO. Pre season training starts tomorrow i think, so the clubs got less than 24 hours......I'll leave it there
You are aware that teams don't just go back to pre-season with the squad they have available, right?
Frothing again I see.