Change of Badge

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

WillAG
Fresh Alias

Change of Badge

Post by WillAG »

The badge on the new merchandise is different now it’s smaller with a white background. I’m personally not a fan of it. What are people’s opinions?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Change of Badge

Post by Long slender neck »

Don't see the need for a background, must be cheaper to make.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

What does it look like then? If the website is down, how do you know what it looks like? I thought it was all secret squirrel 🐿 on the new kit etc
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Looks rather naff to me being brutally honest. A bit Sunday market rather than official merchandise if you get what I mean.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I get what you mean.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Ok I’ve found it and I don’t think it looks as bad as some are saying. What I would suggest is that the background or whatever you want to call what the badge is enclosed within is changed to a circle or an O. I think the crest would look good in that shape, plus as we are the O’s it also pays respect to that name at the same time.

Thoughts?
Oooh!
Fresh Alias

Post by Oooh! »

I think it’s fine - a red badge on a red shirt always really annoyed me so I’m glad they’ve put a background on it but I agree that a circle might have worked better. It’s just a bit unfamiliar at the moment, but we’ll get used to it.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

The worry is whether the badge is gonna be like that all the time across every piece of merchandise.

Red on red is genuinely a new thing for me. At the time of release of all the other kits which had this I don't believe I have heard anyone make that complaint. The special edition kit from last season had this, nobody complained at this. It isn't an issue in real life, and pictures make it worse than it seems (IMO).

And then what happens when the background colour isn't red? The 2011/2012 season kits showed that there does not need to be the same badge (one was white, one was red).

Poor old Macklin might be tearing his hair out at some of the comments, as it is only a minor change. So I guess I would like to offer some constructive reasons on why I dislike the badge.

I love the club badge, I think it is iconic and much better than many other clubs badges and those clubs who have modernised their badge to make it look like a cartoon (ie West Ham/Arsenal).

To me, it does not have a shape, it just is. Try putting a rectangle or a circle around the Nike logo and it would look strange. Out of all the elements on an Orient kit, the badge is the most important: more important than the makers logo, more important the sponsors logo. So therefore, the kit should change to fit the club logo, not the other way around. Putting a border around it feels like adulterating it somewhat (the same feeling I got last time with the other Poker Million kit). If colour really was an issue, we could have reverted to the white logo as seen on the retro kits.

We'll get used to it in time, and nothing is permanent, if enough people don't buy it, it'll change back. No biggie.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I don't really understand the outrage. It does look a bit tacky but who really cares?

Macklin certainly doesn't if it saves a few quid.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 am I don't really understand the outrage. It does look a bit tacky but who really cares?

Macklin certainly doesn't if it saves a few quid.
Do you buy wonky fruit and vegetables 😋
Mr. Peanutbutter
Fresh Alias

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter »

The background's outline is the same shape and colour as Carlisle's. Given the similarity between the badges (two red wyverns, both facing the centre of the badge) it's sort of a double take moment, what badge is this? That, and it looks like my mum just sowed on the badge, much like a badge you get at Scouts.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

It's a cost saving exercise, that's all. I can't believe anyone will be fooled into thinking otherwise.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

We've been down this route before. When Barry made those horrible, nasty cheap shirts in house, they had the stick on badge as well.

But it makes the club a bigger profit, so hey, that's all that matters right.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Classy.

Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

So cheap it was the wrong way round too.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:26 am It's a cost saving exercise, that's all. I can't believe anyone will be fooled into thinking otherwise.
What rubbish you’ve wrote here.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Really? Of all the posts you could reasonably label that accusation at, you've chosen this one?

The bulky iron on badge is clearly cheaper to manufacture than the more traditional sewn in version. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the only time we've had this before was when they were produced by those well known kit manufacturers Orient Leisure and Matchroom Sport....

Does anyone honestly think it's an improvement on this? The red on red is not an issue at all.

Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:11 am Really? Of all the posts you could reasonably label that accusation at, you've chosen this one?

The bulky iron on badge is clearly cheaper to manufacture than the more traditional sewn in version. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the only time we've had this before was when they were produced by those well known kit manufacturers Orient Leisure and Matchroom Sport....

Does anyone honestly think it's an improvement on this? The red on red is not an issue at all.

Must admit I really liked the 2013/14 kit
Loved the gold and black away kit as well
WillAG
Fresh Alias

Post by WillAG »

I don’t believe the red on red is a problem at all. And I must admit I feel like the badge is one thing that should not be changed or messed with.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Looks ok to me and Mrs Nes
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:11 am The bulky iron on badge is clearly cheaper to manufacture than the more traditional sewn in version.
The badges on my Nike and Avec shirts are just ironed on. Though the Nike and Avec logos are sewn in.
Probably badge is too intricate for sewing in. Should just have a simple Wyvern in Red or White as appropriate.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... e_Logo.png
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

eagwgw wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:55 am Poor old Macklin might be tearing his hair out at some of the comments
I see what you did there :D
Baddo
Fresh Alias

Post by Baddo »

Personally I much prefer an embroidered on shirt type badge.
This looks like a badge thats just sewn on much like my 10m swimming badges that my mum used to have to sew onto my trunks.
Obviously much cheaper for the club I'd imagine but it looks pretty cack to me.
Philip J. Fry
Fresh Alias

Post by Philip J. Fry »

Nothing beats the badge when it's actually a solid part of the kit, but this option with the white background is much nicer than having a sticker like in recent years.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I think it’s omly right that every player has the badge tattooed on their chest where the crest sits on the shirt, cut that bit of the shirt out thus showing the tattoo. The club saves money on all the holes of material not required, the players show they care by having the tattoo and you can colour it in any colour you want.

Everyone’s a winner baby!