Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Re: Coronavirus

Post by jamespevans »

The accountant masquerading as the Health Secretary had zero to say.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Over-50s can now book a Covid booster – even if they have not received an NHS invite – within a week of becoming eligible for the third jab, the Health Secretary confirmed on Wednesday.

The change follows complaints that many old and vulnerable people were being turned away from clinics because they had not been sent an official invitation, even though it had been six months since their second dose.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

tuffers#1 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:17 pm Morocco bans Flights form the uk due to rising covid numbers .
I think that quite a few other countries will follow Morocco's lead soon, the way it's going in the UK.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Surely needing to submit negative a PCR test prior to travelling would have been sufficient?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:48 pm
Dunners wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:00 pm Image
I take it this isnt us getting our winter wave out of the way early and more to do with joe public reluctance to wear a face nappy?
We don’t have to wear face nappies anymore. Personal responsibility. The government have made that totally clear.

Also, CON+5
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

Who on here hasn’t had any jabs yet?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Thor ?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

faldO wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:55 pm Over-50s can now book a Covid booster – even if they have not received an NHS invite – within a week of becoming eligible for the third jab, the Health Secretary confirmed on Wednesday.

The change follows complaints that many old and vulnerable people were being turned away from clinics because they had not been sent an official invitation, even though it had been six months since their second dose.
But back in the real World............. Javid may have said you can book a booster without an invite but in reality, you can't. I just tried both the online system and by calling 191. Both come against the same brick wall - "are you a frontline worker or social carer?" - answer no and you cannot proceed.

I fit all the criteria to be able to book (age and over 6 months since 2nd jab) given the changes announced yesterday, but it seems Javid forgot to tell his troops the news! Oops!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

50000+ infections today, what a country.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

PW said:- 50000+ infections today, what a country.
I say, put an oaf in charge and what do you expect? See news article about Tory MP's and face masks in house of Commons. Total lack of Leadership. Rees-Moggie thinks that his Laudanum will keep the virus at bay.
Jack
Fresh Alias

Post by Jack »

I think the 50,000 will become 60,000 by late November, unless some intervention by the government.

Earlier today, i was waiting in the pharmacy for a prescription, for about 12/15 mins. Around 20 people come in during my wait, and not a single one wore a mask.
Thats why we are at 50,000 new cases a day, and Italy are on about 2,000 a day. A friend who lives in Italy tells me vast majority wear masks in shops
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:57 pm 50000+ infections today, what a country.
It’s got nothing to do with infections. The only figures that make a difference are hospitalisations. Unless COVID disappears there will always be infections.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58996914
Article says in so any words: if you live in Cornwall, try not to be ill. The country led by an oaf, is going to the dogs.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

George wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:49 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:57 pm 50000+ infections today, what a country.
It’s got nothing to do with infections. The only figures that make a difference are hospitalisations. Unless COVID disappears there will always be infections.
Over a thousand more people in hospital with covid than last week
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Yes I saw that. But currently there are manageable numbers in hospital . It is an awful virus and no clear evidence that it will disappear. The vaccine is working and we must put our trust in that for now.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

If , as it appears , most people in hospital are unvaccinated then it is surely unlikely that hospitals will be overrun. Last winter nobody had been vaccinated and we needed lockdowns to slow it down. This time two thirds have been vaccinated. If we have another lockdown it will be thanks to the selfish who refuse the vaccine.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

George wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 pm Yes I saw that. But currently there are manageable numbers in hospital . It is an awful virus and no clear evidence that it will disappear. The vaccine is working and we must put our trust in that for now.
Do you have the statistics to back this up, say, bed occupancy numbers/percentages? Happy to take your word that numbers are "manageable" but probably need some reassurance that you're not talking out of your arse.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Presumably, if the numbers in hospital are indeed "manageable" - and that's questionable - it's because the NHS is deprioritising other treatment (e.g. cancer investigation and operations etc) with some potentially horrific implications for the future. Is that really "manageable"?
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

jamespevans wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:51 pm
George wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 pm Yes I saw that. But currently there are manageable numbers in hospital . It is an awful virus and no clear evidence that it will disappear. The vaccine is working and we must put our trust in that for now.
Do you have the statistics to back this up, say, bed occupancy numbers/percentages? Happy to take your word that numbers are "manageable" but probably need some reassurance that you're not talking out of your arse.
No , sorry. Just repeating what ministers were quoting today. They would say that I suppose
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Covid patients occupy around 5% of all hospital beds, data for the end of September from the NHS website.

The DT reported today that 25% of those in hospital with covid didn't have it when they went in.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

faldO wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:07 pm Covid patients occupy around 5% of all hospital beds, data for the end of September from the NHS website.

The DT reported today that 25% of those in hospital with covid didn't have it when they went in.
I read somewhere that bed occupancy is in excess of 90% at the moment. Covid hospitalisations are rising at 10%+ a week, something will have to give very soon.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

jamespevans wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:16 pm
faldO wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:07 pm Covid patients occupy around 5% of all hospital beds, data for the end of September from the NHS website.

I read somewhere that bed occupancy is in excess of 90% at the moment. Covid hospitalisations are rising at 10%+ a week, something will have to give very soon.
Yes, I believe they try to keep it at around the 90-95% level at all times. Not much point in having a load of empty beds in hospitals.

The bit that "gives" is that non-urgent occupancy makes way for more urgent cases. When that strategy is not possible that's when the crisis occurs and hospitals are overwhelmed.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Not really been following this thread , all I can say is I'm fully jabbed and can't wait to get my booster in a couple of weeks time , I couldn't believe the amount of people not wearing masks when i travelled hope on the tube on Tuesday after the game , only a matter of time before we lockdown again in my opinion....and rightly so 🤔
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Surprisingly it is following the same pattern as last year with an increase in cases as the weather gets colder.
Who’d have thought it with a virus? It’s like why flu cases rise during the colder months and we have flu jabs in the autumn. Funnily enough there has also been an increase in the number of people having colds recently as well as people are more in contact with each other.

It’s time for personal responsibility. Wear a mask if you want to. Have the booster if you want to. Have the flu jab if you want to. Keep your public journeys to a minimum if you want to. Just stop moaning about what other people are doing as it will do nothing to change their behaviour.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

We know the vaccine works. You only need to look to Russia for evidence. Low vaccine uptake , 1000 deaths a day again.
We don’t need a lockdown. We need 100% vaccine uptake and boosters.