Marvin Ekpiteta assault

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Re: Marvin Ekpiteta assault

Post by eagwgw »

Don't really equate that just because he was cleared, it was as if the incident didn't happen at all. If I went to court on a charge like this and the name of my employers was in the papers I'd say there would be a fair amount of embarrassment regardless of the verdict, which would only ensure that further formal disciplinary measures could not happen.

It is fact that he got into a scuffle with some dude at the cinema over something very trivial, and the evidence was not conclusive enough for a jury to clear him (two jurys unable to reach a verdict).

He wasn't found guilty of a offence under the eyes of the law, to me the threshold for acceptable club conduct is much higher than this. I don't care whose started it unless there was some very bad provocation, which it appears as if there was not (Darius Henderson was unanimously cleared in his trial).

On a scale of importance this is rather small, about as much as when JWS tried to offer a fan out. That was no offence either so the punishment should be the same. Club community service is just going around to old peoples homes and visiting schools and the like. It is no punishment at all really for a footballer, and should improve Marv's image.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

eagwgw wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 am Don't really equate that just because he was cleared, it was as if the incident didn't happen at all. If I went to court on a charge like this and the name of my employers was in the papers I'd say there would be a fair amount of embarrassment regardless of the verdict, which would only ensure that further formal disciplinary measures could not happen.

It is fact that he got into a scuffle with some dude at the cinema over something very trivial, and the evidence was not conclusive enough for a jury to clear him (two jurys unable to reach a verdict).

He wasn't found guilty of a offence under the eyes of the law, to me the threshold for acceptable club conduct is much higher than this. I don't care whose started it unless there was some very bad provocation, which it appears as if there was not (Darius Henderson was unanimously cleared in his trial).

On a scale of importance this is rather small, about as much as when JWS tried to offer a fan out. That was no offence either so the punishment should be the same. Club community service is just going around to old peoples homes and visiting schools and the like. It is no punishment at all really for a footballer, and should improve Marv's image.
Well reasoned points

That two juries failed to clear him is telling, suggests some doubt about his innocence. Under the circumstances he had to walk free as the juries failed to convict. I have no doubt the club will take some private action then let the matter fade away so the club can get on with the business of league football.
TheTyrant
Fresh Alias

Post by TheTyrant »

What relevance is it that they didn't find him not guilty unanimously? By some of the jurors not being convinced enough of the evidence presented they have cleared him. There isn't an innocence score based on how many jurors went each way.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

The club has made a statement, I’ve reproduced it below.

The Club is delighted to learn defender Marvin Ekpiteta has been acquitted of all charges at Blackfriars Crown Court this afternoon. Following a re-trial, the jury was unable to reach a verdict and was therefore discharged. The prosecution subsequently offered no evidence and Marvin was acquitted on all charges.

Marvin has proven to be nothing but a model professional with an exemplary attitude in his time at the Club and we are pleased this has been recognised by the court's decision.

Marvin and the Club are now looking forward to moving on, and focusing on the O’s preparations for League Two.

No further comment will be made.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 am
eagwgw wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 am Don't really equate that just because he was cleared, it was as if the incident didn't happen at all. If I went to court on a charge like this and the name of my employers was in the papers I'd say there would be a fair amount of embarrassment regardless of the verdict, which would only ensure that further formal disciplinary measures could not happen.

Well reasoned points

That two juries failed to clear him is telling, suggests some doubt about his innocence. Under the circumstances he had to walk free as the juries failed to convict. I have no doubt the club will take some private action then let the matter fade away so the club can get on with the business of league football.
This is laughable. You're either found guilty or not. They don't announce a guilt score out of 10. And Marvin wasn't found guilty. Twice.

Bet Spen is absolutely furious he can't comment on this.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Thor wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:29 pm The club has made a statement, I’ve reproduced it below.

The Club is delighted to learn defender Marvin Ekpiteta has been acquitted of all charges at Blackfriars Crown Court this afternoon. Following a re-trial, the jury was unable to reach a verdict and was therefore discharged. The prosecution subsequently offered no evidence and Marvin was acquitted on all charges.

Marvin has proven to be nothing but a model professional with an exemplary attitude in his time at the Club and we are pleased this has been recognised by the court's decision.

Marvin and the Club are now looking forward to moving on, and focusing on the O’s preparations for League Two.

No further comment will be made.
Properly backed him, just as us fans should be doing. Nice one.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Agreed, too many were too quick to pass judgement on here, it’s why we have law and judges and juries to determine right from wrong.

I’m pleased for Marv.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

It's about the best news we've had all summer.

I hear Marv is going out to celebrate tonight for a bite to eat and a movie.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

He seems about a 5 on dohs guilty scale.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

I suspect that doh already has him down as a 3, whatever the offence without any evidence.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:59 am Why embarasing? He wasn’t found guilty. Twice.

Why does he need to do community service FFS? He’s not been found guilty of anything.

Agreed he’ll be getting ribbed constantly over this.
This. F***ing bizarre postings from eagwgw
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Let's hope he treats the geezer to a proper dry slap for putting him to all this bother with the Courts and everything.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:13 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:59 am Why embarasing? He wasn’t found guilty. Twice.

Why does he need to do community service FFS? He’s not been found guilty of anything.

Not really sure what is wrong with my view.

Courts cleared him, no further action required.

Fact is, lad has gone on a night out and for whatever reason got into a fight and someone has pressed charges against him. A needless situation to get into.

What should happen now? Club should back their player in public, while in private have a word with player to ensure no repeats are tolerated.

Hardly controversial.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Well said fella.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Buddy Manucci wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:39 pm He seems about a 5 on dohs guilty scale.
If you read my posts you will realise that comment is a 10 on the stupidity scale. At no time have I said he was guilty, rather repeated let’s wait for the verdict. It’s just a shame the jury were not all convinced of his innocence but nor were they convinced of his guilt. Therefore he rightly walks away an innocent person. That’s the law, I. Happy with that, I’m pleased for him and delighted for the club.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

People who talk in cinemas incessantly should automatically receive the Marvin treatment.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

I am pleased for him. Must be a great relief and I wonder if the possibility of imprisonment hanging over his head affected his form as it seemed to drop off towards the end of season.
RBMarshall
Fresh Alias

Post by RBMarshall »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 pm It's about the best news we've had all summer.

I hear Marv is going out to celebrate tonight for a bite to eat and a movie.
I heard he wasn't going to watch a movie but he was doing the voice over.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Well reasoned points

This is laughable. You're either found guilty or not. They don't announce a guilt score out of 10. And Marvin wasn't found guilty. Twice.

He can if he wants to on the other board, there is life other than here.
The Prosecution offered no further Evidence, so therefore he is innocent.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

point nine one eight wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:37 am
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Well reasoned points

He can if he wants to on the other board, there is life other than here.
The Prosecution offered no further Evidence, so therefore he is innocent.
As is everybody who walks free from a prosecution.
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

He came up to lounge end of season & he looked in another world,
I thought something up at the time.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

eagwgw wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:30 pm
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Not really sure what is wrong with my view.

Courts cleared him, no further action required.

Fact is, lad has gone on a night out and for whatever reason got into a fight and someone has pressed charges against him. A needless situation to get into.

What should happen now? Club should back their player in public, while in private have a word with player to ensure no repeats are tolerated.

Hardly controversial.
You weren't there and don't know exactly how the situation arose, but are still trying to speculate about how bad his behaviour may have been. Agree with the last bit, but don't see how it's embarrassing for the club.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Andersonitis wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 pm He came up to lounge end of season & he looked in another world,
WTF?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Andersonitis wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 pm He came up to lounge end of season & he looked in another world,
Bizarre post of the week.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Disoriented wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:43 am
Bizarre post of the week.
Some people ah?