Climate change.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Climate change.

Post by Beradogs »

Seems like we are pretty fcked. The chances of humans accepting they will have to consume less pretty much zero. The chances of any government telling their people to consume less also zero. The correlation between the climate heating up and the population of the planet clear but those people are not going anywhere and the ultimate goal is to became middle class as humans and social standing inextricably tied into the amount of “stuff” one has means we are likely to destroy ourselves aren’t we? Anyone with a glimmer of hope?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Climate change.

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

No. You’re pretty much spot on .
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Technology and science will find a way. There are ways of removing CO2 from the atmosphere i believe. I know that is only one part of the problem.
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

No hope I'm afraid. Covid was the chance to hit the reset button and try and move the economy into a more sustainable one. Too much self interest in keeping the status quo with one rule for the fat cats, and another for every one else.
We wont change until large parts of the populated areas become unable to support human life.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Beradogs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 pm Seems like we are pretty fcked. The chances of humans accepting they will have to consume less pretty much zero. The chances of any government telling their people to consume less also zero. The correlation between the climate heating up and the population of the planet clear but those people are not going anywhere and the ultimate goal is to became middle class as humans and social standing inextricably tied into the amount of “stuff” one has means we are likely to destroy ourselves aren’t we? Anyone with a glimmer of hope?
The only hope is to join the billionaire class and get off this planet. The rest of us are f*cked.
saltaire69
Fresh Alias

Post by saltaire69 »

A pretty poor presentation on BBC/Sky News, hard to hear, with the usual catastrophic language. GW IS man-made, what do you expect when PE has added an extra 6.5 billion since 1850 and we're all breathing out C02?
I breathe out 2 tonnes of CO2 each year apparently.
I had to laugh when one of the contributors was asked about China and he said we don't pick out individual countries, its up to the politicians to sort that.
I'm no fan of Greta but she pretty much nailed it by saying there was nothing new with no solutions on offer save the ones that are so unpalatable that the IPCC (UN) and politicians won't dare articulate them to the voters because it will mean massive changes to lifestyles.

I look forward to even more wind turbines up north in the UK, more often than not made with energy produced from coal. The problem is they often don't move when it's freezing up here in December and when it does blow there's no way of storing the excess but the producer still gets paid.

I just hope that those making these predictions will be held to account themselves. I had a look at the biography of one presenter and she's obviously loaded - you don't get paid a minimum wage if you've worked for the World Bank.

The truth is that the forecasting of weather beyond 7 days in the UK is still not great even when you have a huge blocking High close by. Over a month it is not worth even considering and over a year it is pure guesswork. Forecasting climate is infinitely more difficult and if you are only considering the role of CO2 in your models then it is nigh impossible. If you see the removal of CO2 as your main tool then you are going in to the unknown in a very dangerous fashion.

Back to more important matters.
Will Kane go to Man City? Will the word curry really be banned? What will be final Strictly Come Dancing line up and when will the first "KJ out" post appear?
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

I used to enjoy PE at school, but I wouldn't have been so keen if I'd known how much I was contributing to global warming
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

We should just be less wasteful, cleaner and hope for the best.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:51 pm Technology and science will find a way. There are ways of removing CO2 from the atmosphere i believe. I know that is only one part of the problem.
If only nature had some way of doing that.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:28 pm We should just be less wasteful, cleaner and hope for the best.
Targets for 2050:

- Cut CO2 emissions by 15%
- Increase hoping by 250%
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Mick McQuaid wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:34 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:51 pm Technology and science will find a way. There are ways of removing CO2 from the atmosphere i believe. I know that is only one part of the problem.
If only nature had some way of doing that.
The likes of Bezos is probably working on such a device at this very moment. Before the end of the decade, we’ll all have an Amazon CO2 Filtration Cube in our homes.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:08 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:28 pm We should just be less wasteful, cleaner and hope for the best.
Targets for 2050:

- mine Bitofacon, wasting huge amounts of electricity.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Still plenty of drongo's out there who deny "climate change" is real. Just how stupid can you be?
Exiled O
Fresh Alias

Post by Exiled O »

You can't have environmental justice without social justice. Until we dismantle the idea that property is a commodity we've had it. If the world is going to survive then we need to reduce the amount of money people need to earn to survive. The link is pretty clear. The more economic activity you have the greater the damage to the planet. Most people wotk their arses off just to keep a roof over their heads. This has to change if we are to survive. The only solution is an end to the buy to let landord and rentier class. It could be done through legislation. You're only allowed to own one property and rent could be capped at a very low level. A small class of people would take a lot of pain ( bearing in mind they've been trying to get through life by sitting on their arses and expoloiting others) but that's how it goes. I see no prospect of this actually happening,as it's clear that the powers that be can't wait to get back to turbo charged wild west capitalism. The change that is required is very radical and we don't have the political class who have that kind of vision.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:27 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:08 pm
Targets for 2050:

- mine Bitofacon, wasting huge amounts of electricity.
It’s not a waste, it’s necessary to maintain the integrity of the blockchain.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Exiled O wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:57 pm You can't have environmental justice without social justice. Until we dismantle the idea that property is a commodity we've had it. If the world is going to survive then we need to reduce the amount of money people need to earn to survive. The link is pretty clear. The more economic activity you have the greater the damage to the planet. Most people wotk their arses off just to keep a roof over their heads. This has to change if we are to survive. The only solution is an end to the buy to let landord and rentier class. It could be done through legislation. You're only allowed to own one property and rent could be capped at a very low level. A small class of people would take a lot of pain ( bearing in mind they've been trying to get through life by sitting on their arses and expoloiting others) but that's how it goes. I see no prospect of this actually happening,as it's clear that the powers that be can't wait to get back to turbo charged wild west capitalism. The change that is required is very radical and we don't have the political class who have that kind of vision.
But if we have less economic activity, how will the billionaires survive?
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:15 pm
Exiled O wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:57 pm You can't have environmental justice without social justice. Until we dismantle the idea that property is a commodity we've had it. If the world is going to survive then we need to reduce the amount of money people need to earn to survive. The link is pretty clear. The more economic activity you have the greater the damage to the planet. Most people wotk their arses off just to keep a roof over their heads. This has to change if we are to survive. The only solution is an end to the buy to let landord and rentier class. It could be done through legislation. You're only allowed to own one property and rent could be capped at a very low level. A small class of people would take a lot of pain ( bearing in mind they've been trying to get through life by sitting on their arses and expoloiting others) but that's how it goes. I see no prospect of this actually happening,as it's clear that the powers that be can't wait to get back to turbo charged wild west capitalism. The change that is required is very radical and we don't have the political class who have that kind of vision.
But if we have less economic activity, how will the billionaires survive?
Sell their Bitofacon 😀
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

While capitalism is the major system, then the world will ultimately end..
Capitalism is all about exploiting everything for money and profit, including the planets natural resources.
We will reach the point of no return sometime in the future, and still the greedy capitalists will be taking the planet for everything they can get,
There is no hope whilst greed rules in afraid
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

BoniO wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:37 pm Still plenty of drongo's out there who deny "climate change" is real. Just how stupid can you be?
You need to be a bit for specific.

"Climate change is caused by humans".

A statement like that is a bit harder to prove and convince people of.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

God will sort it out.

Without people there will be no one to praise him. I think he likes being worshipped.

As long as you have a Bible you'll be fine.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:44 pm
BoniO wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:37 pm Still plenty of drongo's out there who deny "climate change" is real. Just how stupid can you be?
You need to be a bit for specific.

"Climate change is caused by humans".

A statement like that is a bit harder to prove and convince people of.
Yeah, what you need is some scientific evidence to convince these sorts. That always works.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Humans are one of the primary causes of global warming. Over time there have always been resets to the ecosystem. Famine, disease, war & natural disasters. The first three we have had under control like never before and that has been a major reason why there has been a 5 fold increase in the human population in the last 120 years. We are currently controlling (believe it or not) this Covid pandemic. The equivalent pandemic of 100 years ago, the Spanish flu, killed 20-100 million from a possible 1.8 billion. As a consequence the population grows - largely in areas that cannot afford it to grow - and so the planet suffers a burnout that will be very difficult to put right. I don't have the answer but everyone accepting a "lifestyle cut" isn't it.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Of course that’s it.
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

LittleMate wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:10 pm Humans are one of the primary causes of global warming. Over time there have always been resets to the ecosystem. Famine, disease, war & natural disasters. The first three we have had under control like never before and that has been a major reason why there has been a 5 fold increase in the human population in the last 120 years. We are currently controlling (believe it or not) this Covid pandemic. The equivalent pandemic of 100 years ago, the Spanish flu, killed 20-100 million from a possible 1.8 billion. As a consequence the population grows - largely in areas that cannot afford it to grow - and so the planet suffers a burnout that will be very difficult to put right. I don't have the answer but everyone accepting a "lifestyle cut" isn't it.
Absolutely nailed it. Uncontrolled population growth is the cause of this.
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

We're doomed