Theo Archibald signs up for a years loan

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Theo Archibald signs up for a years loan

Post by Max B Gold »

BigDaddyO wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:03 pm Still amazed at the constant negativity on this board even after all these years.
Looks a good signing to me, never got a sniff at Lincoln due to Covid and them being genuinely good at a L1 level.
6 in 33 for an average Maccs side from the wing in L2 a couple of years ago is promising, he's a good age and the wing was the position I was most concerned about, seems like excellent business to me.
Feels a little like a Bonne signing this (obviously different position), an out-of-favour player dropping a division to get first team football. After a dodgy year or two I think he'll feel like he has a lot to prove, and can clearly do it the business in L2.
Why on earth are people saying their worried when they've never seen the lad play and he has a decent CV is beyond me. But some people are just pessimistic to the core.
Up the Os.
League 1 next year.
CV is not decent.

FACT. You have picked out the one bit that gives a little bit of hope. It's a high risk signing and a bit desperate looking if I'm being honest.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Was at the macc game where he scored, got a memory that it was a cracker from 25 yards that dipped over brill (that isn’t an endorsement of his ability tbf).
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

People in here reckon every signing is a good un and anyone who criticizes a signing is attacked as disloyal.
I remember lots bigging up Alabi when he signed too.
Archibald is a dead risky signing. Hardly played for a year, and hasn't trained for ages.
He may work out ok, I hope so, but I'm mystified by some of these signings.
I expected marquee signings to take our breath away, after the new investors and Nigel's" big " talk, and we haven't had that.
waigO
Fresh Alias

Post by waigO »

BigDaddyO wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:03 pm Still amazed at the constant negativity on this board even after all these years.
Looks a good signing to me, never got a sniff at Lincoln due to Covid and them being genuinely good at a L1 level.
6 in 33 for an average Maccs side from the wing in L2 a couple of years ago is promising, he's a good age and the wing was the position I was most concerned about, seems like excellent business to me.
Feels a little like a Bonne signing this (obviously different position), an out-of-favour player dropping a division to get first team football. After a dodgy year or two I think he'll feel like he has a lot to prove, and can clearly do it the business in L2.
Why on earth are people saying their worried when they've never seen the lad play and he has a decent CV is beyond me. But some people are just pessimistic to the core.
Up the Os.
League 1 next year.
Agreed. Looks a shrewd signing. So many bell ends on this board that find a negative out of literally anything.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Dean Smith thought he was good.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Is he only on loan because he'd command a fee being U24, or is it because of his injury past. Either way it seems a bit strange that Lincoln retained him for another year only to then sub him out to us. Effectively he's playing for a contract (somewhere) and that can only be good for us.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

LittleMate wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 pm Is he only on loan because he'd command a fee being U24, or is it because of his injury past. Either way it seems a bit strange that Lincoln retained him for another year only to then sub him out to us. Effectively he's playing for a contract (somewhere) and that can only be good for us.
I'm mystified- with an injury past why can he only be good for us?

A loan from Lincoln City FC. Really?
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Like all the new signings, we need to give them 10-15 games before forming an opinion.
At a club like ours they’re all in the ‘shop window’ and if they do well and perform then bigger clubs will come looking.
If anybody can improve a mediocre player then I reckon Kenny can.
I think it will take time for the new players gel but let’s give them a chance.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 pm
LittleMate wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 pm Is he only on loan because he'd command a fee being U24, or is it because of his injury past. Either way it seems a bit strange that Lincoln retained him for another year only to then sub him out to us. Effectively he's playing for a contract (somewhere) and that can only be good for us.

Do I detect irony Golden balls? Surely a man of your intelligence does not need it explaining to you.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

What is the ratio of really good loan signings over the last say 6 years, 10% to 20% ?
Anyway you talked of the joy of him turning out to be another Peter Marinello and i thought thats strange, Max only regards Scottish players as being any good if they have played for Motherwell. Well I remember Peter coming down to Arsenal for a £100,000 transfer record breaking transfer fee, billed as the new George Best never made it, some say he got dazzled by the night life !! Anyway remember him moving to Pompey but hey when I looked him up on Wikipedia, there it is, he left Pompey for ''MOTHERWELL''.........all explained !!!
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

I remember seeing Marinello play at Orient and couldn't see what the fuss was all about
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm People in here reckon every signing is a good un and anyone who criticizes a signing is attacked as disloyal.
Archibald is a dead risky signing. Hardly played for a year, and hasn't trained for ages.
I expected marquee signings to take our breath away, after the new investors and Nigel's" big " talk, and we haven't had that.
How can signing someone on loan be a risky signing?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:22 pm

What is the ratio of really good loan signings over the last say 6 years, 10% to 20% ?
Anyway you talked of the joy of him turning out to be another Peter Marinello and i thought thats strange, Max only regards Scottish players as being any good if they have played for Motherwell. Well I remember Peter coming down to Arsenal for a £100,000 transfer record breaking transfer fee, billed as the new George Best never made it, some say he got dazzled by the night life !! Anyway remember him moving to Pompey but hey when I looked him up on Wikipedia, there it is, he left Pompey for ''MOTHERWELL''.........all explained !!!
Great player. Remember him cutting in from the right, one night, and launching one into the top left corner. Can't remember who it was against but it was liquid football. Other than that he was mediocre. The Pompey and London Clubs did for his legs.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Adz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:46 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm People in here reckon every signing is a good un and anyone who criticizes a signing is attacked as disloyal.
If he has a record of injury and off field stuff then why can't it not be risky if Orient pay the wages for a full year?
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Agreed to a point, if you say anything out of turn on here you get slagged off,I said Embleton was rubbish before he was sacked and said Southgate wasn’t good enough to win a cup competition ( I’ve not changed my mind) and the team is still missing 3 quality signings (CB,attacking CM and a poacher)and they won’t finish in the top 3 unless they get them.🙈
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:56 pm
Agreed to a point, if you say anything out of turn on here you get slagged off,I said Embleton was rubbish before he was sacked and said Southgate wasn’t good enough to win a cup competition ( I’ve not changed my mind) and the team is still missing 3 quality signings (CB,attacking CM and a poacher)and they won’t finish in the top 3 unless they get them.🙈
I agree. it still feels like the squad is missing something . Hopefully within the next couple of weeks we can still bring in another couple of quality signings .
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pmI expected marquee signings to take our breath away, after the new investors and Nigel's" big " talk, and we haven't had that.
Who were you expecting us to sign?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Tent Keague wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:51 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pmI expected marquee signings to take our breath away, after the new investors and Nigel's" big " talk, and we haven't had that.
Players without a history of injury and inability to break into and command a place in the starting 11 for the last 3 years.

Is that helpful?
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Don’t even know how you survive in life. Constantly placing your happiness in others’ hands and expecting others to deliver the world to you. Must be tough putting up with constant disappointment
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:15 am
Don’t even know how you survive in life. Constantly placing your happiness in others’ hands and expecting others to deliver the world to you. Must be tough putting up with constant disappointment
There it is,didn’t take long. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit 🙈
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Max B Gold wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:26 am
Players without a history of injury and inability to break into and command a place in the starting 11 for the last 3 years.

Is that helpful?
Totally agree, in my opinion we are still very short of the players needed that are not sick notes to get us promoted this year.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:04 am
That wasn’t sarcasm
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:18 am
Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:04 am

That wasn’t sarcasm
He's right Monkey, you obviously do not or cannot understand sarcasm. :roll:
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 pm
Adz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:46 pm
If he has a record of injury and off field stuff then why can't it not be risky if Orient pay the wages for a full year?
You must have an extremely low risk tolerance if you think this is high risk. It's a years wages (if we are paying it all), not like we are tied in for 2 or 3 years, and he's out of contract at the end of the season so we can sign him for free if successful. Sounds low risk to me
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Max B Gold wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:26 am

Is that helpful?
Not particularly helpful at all.

Pratley played 40 odd games in a higher division last season.
So did Beckles.
Wood played more than 46 games for Bradford.
Smyth played 35 games in a higher division.

It's as easy for me to pick players that have played a lot of games as is easy enough for you to pick ones that haven't.

So the question remains, who were you expecting us to sign?