Tory Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Tory Watch

Post by tuffers#1 »

E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

Seems to me that Cummings wanted to use Johnson as a tool to implement his own radical vision of destruction, knowing that Johnson is a fool.
He lost the contest with Princess Put Put (is that what he called her?) who wants to pull Johnson's strings. Don't know what her agenda is other than extremely expensive wallpaper ?
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Dom saved the Queen's life - we should at least thank him for that.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Meanwhile, RNLI volunteers and Coastguards could soon be facing prosecution for rescuing immigrants at sea. It gets worse and worse.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

faldO wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 am Dom saved the Queen's life - we should at least thank him for that.
We should make a song to commemorate that.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Government fails to announce NHS pay rise today, and guess what, MP's are now off on their Holi-Jollies. The lack of respect for the NHS is hardly a surprise but this last failure is breathtaking in it's arrogance.

I know we're all mostly battered and bruised by Covid and one Government scam/scandal/cock-up after another but doesn't treating NHS workers like crap stick in anyone else's throats? Especially as, due to Government Policy, they are once again going have to go the extra mile, and then some, as Hospital admissions rise and critical bed use leaps upwards yet again.

PS - govt has just awarded a 3% rise but nothing to Doctors under Consultant level. Risible and looking like there may be Industrial action - I wish them well.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

They’re lucky to get 3% when the rest of the public sector has a pay freeze and thousands are being laid off due to the pandemic
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

BoniO wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:04 pm Government fails to announce NHS pay rise today, and guess what, MP's are now off on their Holi-Jollies. The lack of respect for the NHS is hardly a surprise but this last failure is breathtaking in it's arrogance.

I know we're all mostly battered and bruised by Covid and one Government scam/scandal/cock-up after another but doesn't treating NHS workers like crap stick in anyone else's throats? Especially as, due to Government Policy, they are once again going have to go the extra mile, and then some, as Hospital admissions rise and critical bed use leaps upwards yet again.

PS - govt has just awarded a 3% rise but nothing to Doctors under Consultant level. Risible and looking like there may be Industrial action - I wish them well.
Yup Hatred is growing daily for this mob .
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 pm They’re lucky to get 3% when the rest of the public sector has a pay freeze and thousands are being laid off due to the pandemic
If only the government hadn’t wasted nearly £40 billion on a poxy track & trace program that doesn’t work. There might have been more to go round.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 pm They’re lucky to get 3% when the rest of the public sector has a pay freeze and thousands are being laid off due to the pandemic
Exactly, greedy bastards should be content with all that clapping on the doorsteps and the cheering on from Captain Tom
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

The police and other civil servants who park in my car park tell me they'd be chuffed with a 3% rise when inflation is 2.5%.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:04 am The police and other civil servants who park in my car park tell me they'd be chuffed with a 3% rise when inflation is 2.5%.
Cleared up those fag butts yet?
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:04 am The police and other civil servants who park in my car park tell me they'd be chuffed with a 3% rise when inflation is 2.5%.
My fellow (remote) University cleaners are loving their 1.5%
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

jamespevans wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:58 am
My fellow (remote) University cleaners are loving their 1.5%
You should be grateful to Rishi you've had the last year to work on your boarding.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

What do you think a reasonable salary for a cleaner is, Pevans?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I do find people’s attitudes to this issue curious every time it comes up. When one group of workers get a piddling pay increase, it seems that the default response is to criticise them because other groups of workers haven’t. Why not instead congratulate them and use it as motivation to gang up with your fellow workers to negotiate something similar? How have we let ourselves be convinced that the former reaction is the appropriate one, and not the latter?

As for what is an appropriate salary for any worker, I think we need to take a step back. Back in the 1980s my Dad was a bus driver and my Mum a housewife. Yet, on his basic salary, our family of four were able to afford a mortgage for a modest three-bedroom house in perfectly respectable neighbourhoods of London and Essex.

I now know people earning fantastic salaries who have no chance of doing the same unless they are able to move to further flung and cheaper regions. Increasingly, younger people are looking at a lifetime of high living costs, low interest rates, inflation and without the dividend of being rent/mortgage free upon retirement. That’s if retirement is even an option for them.

Arguing over whether a 2.5% pay increase is appropriate or not is to spectacularly miss the point. Something has gone fundamentally wrong, as the money we are being paid simply isn’t worth what we’re being led to believe it is. We’ve all been had, and we’ve let it happen.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:19 pm What do you think a reasonable salary for a cleaner is, Pevans?
No idea, I'm just grateful for what the University of Manchester pays me (for my boarding)
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Dunners wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 pm I do find people’s attitudes to this issue curious every time it comes up. When one group of workers get a piddling pay increase, it seems that the default response is to criticise them because other groups of workers haven’t. Why not instead congratulate them and use it as motivation to gang up with your fellow workers to negotiate something similar? How have we let ourselves be convinced that the former reaction is the appropriate one, and not the latter?

As for what is an appropriate salary for any worker, I think we need to take a step back. Back in the 1980s my Dad was a bus driver and my Mum a housewife. Yet, on his basic salary, our family of four were able to afford a mortgage for a modest three-bedroom house in perfectly respectable neighbourhoods of London and Essex.

I now know people earning fantastic salaries who have no chance of doing the same unless they are able to move to further flung and cheaper regions. Increasingly, younger people are looking at a lifetime of high living costs, low interest rates, inflation and without the dividend of being rent/mortgage free upon retirement. That’s if retirement is even an option for them.

Arguing over whether a 2.5% pay increase is appropriate or not is to spectacularly miss the point. Something has gone fundamentally wrong, as the money we are being paid simply isn’t worth what we’re being led to believe it is. We’ve all been had, and we’ve let it happen.
Spot on

The Boomers bought up all the houses, rigged the system and ate all the cod
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 pm I do find people’s attitudes to this issue curious every time it comes up. When one group of workers get a piddling pay increase, it seems that the default response is to criticise them because other groups of workers haven’t. Why not instead congratulate them and use it as motivation to gang up with your fellow workers to negotiate something similar? How have we let ourselves be convinced that the former reaction is the appropriate one, and not the latter?

Never mind the 80's.

My dad was an engineer and in the 70's we had a mortgage on a four bed b*stard house AND, get this, a mobile home in Girvan where we spent the summers of 1971-74. I'm awfy fond o' Girvan, although the Foosties in the local Asda were up to £1.60 last week but in their Binwood store they are a whopping £1.70. Been hanging out on the Girvan beach during the unprecedented heatwave.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:16 pm

Never mind the 80's.

My dad was an engineer and in the 70's we had a mortgage on a four bed b*stard house AND, get this, a mobile home in Girvan where we spent the summers of 1971-74. I'm awfy fond o' Girvan, although the Foosties in the local Asda were up to £1.60 last week but in their Binwood store they are a whopping £1.70. Been hanging out on the Girvan beach during the unprecedented heatwave.
My father-in-law is from Girvan

Sadly, has never had a mortgage, must've been the holiday homes jacking up the prices
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Never mind the 80's.

Girvan - It's no Argelès Plage, however you can grab a pint of Best in Flynn's after chomping on a battered cod in Graziano's.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Never mind the 80's.

Girvan - It's no Argelès Plage, however you can grab a pint of Best in Flynn's after chomping on a battered cod in Graziano's.
Fish tea in Graziano's - 2 bits of haddock, chips, mushy peas, breid'n'buturr, pot of tea - £9.30. VFM.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:28 pm

Never mind the 80's.

My father-in-law is from Girvan

Sadly, has never had a mortgage, must've been the holiday homes jacking up the prices
When you meet a Girvanite they always ask "Are you Girvan?" FFS!! I know I've put on a few pun but I still don't look like a town.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

This made me chuckle
🤣

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend