Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Coronavirus

Post by tuffers#1 »

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

BoniO wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:23 am
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:13 am Prof Ferg reckons we'll be getting 100k cases and 1k hospital admissions per day

Chance of up to 200k cases a day 👀
We are top of the World ratings for new daily cases already. The huge gamble on vaccination protection accelerates rapidly even before we relax the rules tomorrow.

Clearly, vaccinations do work but how will this exposure to the virus affect the population as a whole? How many will die as a result of this approach? How many people will suffer for prolonged periods with long covid. Oh well, time will tell.
I can remember reading somewhere that the UK test's more people than France , Germany and Spain combined . Maybe that's one of the reasons why we're top for Dailey cases. Also cases are on the raise in Europe as well .
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Jman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:51 am think the government’s approach is correct.

It’s time for personal responsibility now. We need to make choices about our lives and get on with them. In my opinion, it’ll get hairy but we’ll most likely be ok as we won’t nearly get back to pre pandemic levels of mixing for some time. The case numbers are scary and that’ll keep a lot of people a lot more cautious which may actually help our cause.

Finally, I can’t for the world of me understand why we aren’t doing more to encourage vaccination take up and make the availability of vaccines far easier to access. Put them in every pharmacy up and down the country. We should be going door to door in low take up communities and offering jabs. This is our only way out of it, and I’m not a fan of domestic vaccine passports but the government must literally not leave a stone unturned with this rollout.
I agree . We've done as much as we can for as long as we can . Most adults have had at least one jab and we can't stay in lockdown forever . This virus is never going away and will always mutate into different variants . I think what will happen is we'll all need a booster jab once a year that's been tweaked to deal with the latest variants .
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:00 pm
BoniO wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:23 am
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:13 am Prof Ferg reckons we'll be getting 100k cases and 1k hospital admissions per day

Chance of up to 200k cases a day 👀
We are top of the World ratings for new daily cases already. The huge gamble on vaccination protection accelerates rapidly even before we relax the rules tomorrow.

Clearly, vaccinations do work but how will this exposure to the virus affect the population as a whole? How many will die as a result of this approach? How many people will suffer for prolonged periods with long covid. Oh well, time will tell.
I can remember reading somewhere that the UK test's more people than France , Germany and Spain combined . Maybe that's one of the reasons why we're top for Dailey cases. Also cases are on the raise in Europe as well .
It's not an exact science I'd agree, but if you assume that the testing rates for any Country haven't wildly changed then you can still see that the UK's current rise is unprecedented. We really are shooting upwards compared to any other Country in the World.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:09 pm
Jman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:51 am think the government’s approach is correct.

It’s time for personal responsibility now. We need to make choices about our lives and get on with them. In my opinion, it’ll get hairy but we’ll most likely be ok as we won’t nearly get back to pre pandemic levels of mixing for some time. The case numbers are scary and that’ll keep a lot of people a lot more cautious which may actually help our cause.

Finally, I can’t for the world of me understand why we aren’t doing more to encourage vaccination take up and make the availability of vaccines far easier to access. Put them in every pharmacy up and down the country. We should be going door to door in low take up communities and offering jabs. This is our only way out of it, and I’m not a fan of domestic vaccine passports but the government must literally not leave a stone unturned with this rollout.
I agree . We've done as much as we can for as long as we can . Most adults have had at least one jab and we can't stay in lockdown forever . This virus is never going away and will always mutate into different variants . I think what will happen is we'll all need a booster jab once a year that's been tweaked to deal with the latest variants .
I sincerely hope you're right. I doubt you are, in fact I'd be amazed if you are correct, but here's hoping.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:09 pm

But that’s not an argument for ditching literally every precaution tomorrow.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Good luck everyone, I think we’ll all need some luck
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

As soon as the NHS looks near to collapse, there will be another lockdown
No idea when, but it will happen
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

I think this is no longer just about the corona virus and lockdown!

The new government health secretary has reported this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57793122

We know that Javid is a committed advocate for privatised health care.
The fox has now been put in charge of the chicken pen ......

How many days or weeks until we see a mega drive in the media that all those millions of treatments on the waiting list can't possibly be provided on the NHS now in light of that exorbitant waiting list because Covid dominates? How many people will be told "Sorry, you are not a priority and unlikely to get treatment for your condition on the nhs now or probaby never".

And here it is (from the BBC article linked above):

Among the solutions, Mr Javid said, would be to pay private healthcare providers to continue to treat NHS patients, and keeping virtual doctors' appointments.

The Tories have never supported the NHS. Handcock was just the nominated tool to fool folks. He dutifully served their purpose until stupidly his mind, passion and hands were elsewhere.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Happy freedom day everybody.

Is it odd that it's being announced while the Health Secretary, Prime Minister and Chancellor are self-isolating?
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

I for one will continue to wear my protective mask on public transport and when I'm in shops .
Orientnil
Fresh Alias

Post by Orientnil »

Here's a little ditty to celebrate Freedom Day. Care to sing along?
With thanks to Maurice Chevalier's "Louise"

Every little sneeze
Carries Johnson’s Disease.
You can spread it with ease
So just do what you please.
Bet your best socks
You’ll soon be in your box
With Johnson’s Disease.

Trust luck it won’t embrace you;
Throw that mask away.
We won’t test and trace you
So it’s back to work today.

Here’s good luck to you
In the A&E queue.
It’s no worse than ‘flu
Though we’ve lost one or two.
Just shoot off to Mustique
If respite you seek
From Johnson’s Disease.

If anyone comes near you
You will get a Ping
Won’t pay to isolate you
That’s really not our thing.

So here is Freedom Day
Pack your troubles away.
If you haven’t been vaxed
You might find yourself axed
Straight down the King’s Head
And be glad you’re not dead
With Johnson’s Disease!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Bit alarmed by the number of people who just dont seem to believe that wearing masks helps stop the spread.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I know that calculating the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) of this thing is a shifting work in progress, but from what I can gather:

- The CFR during the 'peak' may have been around 2%.
- The CFR with the vaccine effect may be reduced to 0.3%.
- That's really good stuff, however if we do hit 100K cases per day, that will still result in 300 deaths per day.
- And behind those 300 deaths per day will be thousands of hospital admissions per day, which will still interrupt 'normal' NHS functionality.
- This will still see delays, postponement and cancellation of procedures.
- I've also seen estimates that, of those who display mild to severe symptoms, 10% may go on to experience long-Covid.

I hope this experiment works out okay, I really do. I'm as sick of this as everyone else is. However, I think I'll still take precautions for now thank you very much.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I dont know why someone would object to wearing a mask in a crowded indoor area when cases are high. Its breathtakingly selfish and stupid.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

BIGRON wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:34 am I for one will continue to wear my protective mask on public transport and when I'm in shops .
Me too, Ron.

But the numpty standing directly behind you in the queue won’t be.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 am
BIGRON wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:34 am I for one will continue to wear my protective mask on public transport and when I'm in shops .
Me too, Ron.

But the numpty standing directly behind you in the queue won’t be.
The same people that didn’t wear a mask before , who didn’t take any notice of lockdown, and who probably didnt watch the news , will continue to not do the same. We are not preaching to them. The responsibility now lies with responsible people behaving responsibly. And they will continue to do so.
You need to trust in the majority and ignore the minority.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Anti-lockdown protests in London / Parliament Square today. Isn't that a bit pointless now seeing as they've got what they wanted?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Strictly speaking, lockdown ended back in April. As of today all remaining restrictions have been lifted. What exactly are these idiots protesting against?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Admin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 pm Anti-lockdown protests in London / Parliament Square today. Isn't that a bit pointless now seeing as they've got what they wanted?
Well, by definition, they’re not the brightest are they
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:02 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 pm Anti-lockdown protests in London / Parliament Square today. Isn't that a bit pointless now seeing as they've got what they wanted?
Well, by definition, they’re not the brightest are they
You might say that. In response I’d say one thing:

“Thor”
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Dunners wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:49 pm Strictly speaking, lockdown ended back in April. As of today all remaining restrictions have been lifted. What exactly are these idiots protesting against?
Ostensibly: Vaccine passports, compulsory vaccination for health workers and the fact the government refuse to rule out a return to lockdown

Reality: It's a nice day, pubs are open, they like a piss up and a chance to scream at the OB
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Dunners wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:49 pm Strictly speaking, lockdown ended back in April. As of today all remaining restrictions have been lifted. What exactly are these idiots protesting against?
You're assuming they know why they're there in the first place.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Eagley anticipated my first pint at 3pm today.

At the bar waiting to be served felt alien at first but great.

Guy next to me started talking to me about how great it was we didn't have to use apps anymore.

Live your life people, it's time to get on with things.

Everyone that doesn't agree, fine, nobody is forcing you to go out.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:06 pm Eagley anticipated my first pint at 3pm today.

At the bar waiting to be served felt alien at first but great.

Guy next to me started talking to me about how great it was we didn't have to use apps anymore.

Live your life people, it's time to get on with things.

Everyone that doesn't agree, fine, nobody is forcing you to go out.
That's such a bird-brained way of thinking.