Tory Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Tory Watch

Post by tuffers#1 »

This must be one of the fastest government U-turns ever: 157 minutes after saying the PM and chancellor wouldn't be isolating, Downing Street decided they would.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57879730

Even for Johnson this is a Fast U Turn .

With the Olympics nearly on us i ask
Is this a World Record ?
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

He said on twitter that he's isolating after getting notified so it's irrelevant that he originally said he wasn't and sent Honest Bob Jenrick out to defend that position.

When did he actually say that he's taking the piss and with the polling as it is there's no reason not to?
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Answer: He didn't.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Well the announcement that screwed up hundreds of thousands of peoples holidays in France was well thought through. The policy change, that even fully vaccinated travellers would need to quarantine for 10 days on their return, was made due to the "high incidence of the beta variant in France".

Fair enough, some might think, except all the cases are on the Island of Reunion, thousands of miles from the French Mainland. There have been no cases of the beta variant in Mainland France. It's hard to imagine how our government can better demonstrate how they are "dumb & dumber" but they keep on pulling it off.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:40 am Well the announcement that screwed up hundreds of thousands of peoples holidays in France was well thought through. The policy change, that even fully vaccinated travellers would need to quarantine for 10 days on their return, was made due to the "high incidence of the beta variant in France".

Fair enough, some might think, except all the cases are on the Island of Reunion, thousands of miles from the French Mainland. There have been no cases of the beta variant in Mainland France. It's hard to imagine how our government can better demonstrate how they are "dumb & dumber" but they keep on pulling it off.
Just go and ask to be put on the pilot scheme when you come home,.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:40 am Fair enough, some might think, except all the cases are on the Island of Reunion, thousands of miles from the French Mainland. There have been no cases of the beta variant in Mainland France. It's hard to imagine how our government can better demonstrate how they are "dumb & dumber" but they keep on pulling it off.
I'd be very surprised if you can find a link that says "there have been no cases of the beta variant in Mainland France" and "all the cases are on the Island of Reunion (though perhaps it was reported in the Guardian or the BBC that way).

It does make a good story though.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

And yet...

BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

faldO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:48 am
BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:40 am Fair enough, some might think, except all the cases are on the Island of Reunion, thousands of miles from the French Mainland. There have been no cases of the beta variant in Mainland France. It's hard to imagine how our government can better demonstrate how they are "dumb & dumber" but they keep on pulling it off.
I'd be very surprised if you can find a link that says "there have been no cases of the beta variant in Mainland France" and "all the cases are on the Island of Reunion (though perhaps it was reported in the Guardian or the BBC that way).

I'm in France at the moment and there's lots of government officials and scientists saying just that. Try harder next time.
Last edited by BoniO on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:08 am
BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:40 am Well the announcement that screwed up hundreds of thousands of peoples holidays in France was well thought through. The policy change, that even fully vaccinated travellers would need to quarantine for 10 days on their return, was made due to the "high incidence of the beta variant in France".

Just go and ask to be put on the pilot scheme when you come home,.
Hah. I think we'll be OK as we're ready to shoot back at a moments notice if it's announced we're going red. Alternatively, we'll sit it out over here until some kind of sanity returns (could be a while). I do feel for the shed loads of people who were told Friday that their holiday plans for the next day were screwed.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:08 pm

I'm in France at the moment and there's lots of government officials and scientists saying just that. Try harder next time.
Let's have a link then - to the lots of government officials and scientists saying there have been no recorded cases of the beta variant in France anywhere.

Presumably you read it somewhere, in which case you should have no troubled providing a reference to it, or did you overhear a gathering of officials and scientists in a bar somewhere?

It should be easy enough to clear up one way or the other, and if you are correct I will be happy to apologise for the misunderstanding.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

faldO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Let's have a link then - to the lots of government officials and scientists saying there have been no recorded cases of the beta variant in France anywhere.

Presumably you read it somewhere, in which case you should have no troubled providing a reference to it, or did you overhear a gathering of officials and scientists in a bar somewhere?

It should be easy enough to clear up one way or the other, and if you are correct I will be happy to apologise for the misunderstanding.
No misunderstanding on my part chum. Sat by the pool sipping a large Bacardi & coke. You’re way down my list of priorities
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:05 pm

No misunderstanding on my part chum. Sat by the pool sipping a large Bacardi & coke. You’re way down my list of priorities
Bacardi & Coke? Is it 1988 again?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Restricting people coming France will play well with the base
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:16 pm
Anything perceived as anti-French plays out with the base. You should of course be aware that we saved them in WW2?

I only need to listen to my father-in-law to be reliably informed as to what's pissing off the gammons. From my last overheard conversation he was having with 'er indoors, he's still watching the Kent coastline around Dungeness for illegals. He is however quite pleased that Nigel's got a slot on GB News.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Admin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:21 pm
Anything perceived as anti-French plays out with the base. You should of course be aware that we saved them in WW2?

I only need to listen to my father-in-law to be reliably informed as to what's pissing off the gammons. From my last overheard conversation he was having with 'er indoors, he's still watching the Kent coastline around Dungeness for illegals. He is however quite pleased that Nigel's got a slot on GB News.
The French are probably are the worst of the Europeans though. You've gotta admit....

The Dutch being best.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Admin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:16 pm

Haha - sometimes you find a winning combo and stick with it. Been my, and some mates, staple when wanting to get seriously addled in a short period of time. Mind you, Barley wine is pretty decent too 😏
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 pm

The French are probably are the worst of the Europeans though. You've gotta admit....

The Dutch being best.
If you’re talking Parisians most French would agree with you. Down in the South the froggies are pretty decent tbh. The Dutch are just English but with a bad throat.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The Dutch being best.
Think it depends on what part of France. I have friends who are from the Northern parts - they consider themselves to be almost British as their weather is generally quite sh*t and they like a moan. Thought most of the natives I met in Juan-les-Pins were ok but a bit smug.

In conversation with both northerners and southerners, both advised me that Parisians are arseholes.

I've never met anyone Dutch. I did see Steve McClaren do an interview once though.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:24 pm

Haha - sometimes you find a winning combo and stick with it. Been my, and some mates, staple when wanting to get seriously addled in a short period of time. Mind you, Barley wine is pretty decent too 😏
Drunk it for years. So much so that even the smell of it can turn my stomach immediately. It also brings back memories of some of my more unsavoury behaviour during the early / mid 1990s.

I thought Barley wine was just a step up from meths?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Admin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:31 pm
BoniO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:24 pm

Drunk it for years. So much so that even the smell of it can turn my stomach immediately. It also brings back memories of some of my more unsavoury behaviour during the early / mid 1990s.

I thought Barley wine was just a step up from meths?
Yeah - wasn’t serious about Barley wine - hideous stuff. B&C has, still does, lead to unsavoury behaviour on occasions - oh well - c’est la vie!
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Admin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:29 pm

The Dutch being best.
Think it depends on what part of France. I have friends who are from the Northern parts - they consider themselves to be almost British as their weather is generally quite sh*t and they like a moan. Thought most of the natives I met in Juan-les-Pins were ok but a bit smug.

In conversation with both northerners and southerners, both advised me that Parisians are arseholes.
The French are one of the oldest and well-defined ethnic groups in Europe. The geography of France (excellent navigable river networks, plenty of arable land) means the state has been able to project power and a culture for long enough to not have the separatist tendencies you find in other countries. Basque separatists never got as much traction in France as they did in Spain, and the same applies for the Catalans.

I've always found the French to be great. I've even had pleasant experiences in Paris. I just think that the Parisians get a bad rep due to their habit of spilling out across the regions every August much to the annoyance (but economic benefit) of the locals.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Dunners wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:26 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:29 pm

The Dutch being best.

The French are one of the oldest and well-defined ethnic groups in Europe. The geography of France (excellent navigable river networks, plenty of arable land) means the state has been able to project power and a culture for long enough to not have the separatist tendencies you find in other countries. Basque separatists never got as much traction in France as they did in Spain, and the same applies for the Catalans.

I've always found the French to be great. I've even had pleasant experiences in Paris. I just think that the Parisians get a bad rep due to their habit of spilling out across the regions every August much to the annoyance (but economic benefit) of the locals.
Having a US style assimilation and integration policy certainly helps as well in that respect.

The consequence however being that the main (and increasingly viable) opposition to the status quo is the National Front

I suppose it depends where your priorities lie
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I've had great times in Paris too but mainly because we've always expected waiters to be surly and rude, and they've delivered in spades! At popular tourist locations it became great sport to watch other Brits get annoyed by this whilst we just sat back and enjoyed the show.

I do know what you mean about the August evacuation of Paris, but everywhere I've been in France regards Parisians as complete tosseurs and overall it's probably well deserved.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »