O's going cashless

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: O's going cashless

Post by Beradogs »

I don’t have a cellular phone and mostly carry cash. Just had 4 days staying in central london at a v nice hotel getting increasingly angry at everything needing a card, phone or both.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Beradogs wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:18 am I don’t have a cellular phone and mostly carry cash. Just had 4 days staying in central london at a v nice hotel getting increasingly angry at everything needing a card, phone or both.
I think you can look forward to more anger in the future. This move to cashless society ain’t going away.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

KenleyO wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:48 am This has been in the offing for some time and has accelerated due to Covid.
By the way it is now very expensive for companies to get cash handled (picked up by G4S etc, taken to a cash depot and then processed) and paid into a bank account - especially coins
This is in effect a cost cutting move
Not too sure what the charges are for cashless processing. Will be some somewhere for sure, The banking industry won’t do this for free. And of course technology needs to be purchased and maintained. But I suspect you are right, it’s still probably cheaper than handling cash.

But for us punters, we’ll for me anyway, it is also far more convenient. Especially with purchases under £45. Present the card and you are done. Quick and simple. Checkouts move quicker, No sodding about with notes and loose change, statements itemising purchases if you want that. Gone are the days of finding a cash machine when you go shopping. What’s not to like.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:46 am
KenleyO wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:48 am This has been in the offing for some time and has accelerated due to Covid.
By the way it is now very expensive for companies to get cash handled (picked up by G4S etc, taken to a cash depot and then processed) and paid into a bank account - especially coins
Not too sure what the charges are for cashless processing. Will be some somewhere for sure, The banking industry won’t do this for free. And of course technology needs to be purchased and maintained. But I suspect you are right, it’s still probably cheaper than handling cash.

But for us punters, we’ll for me anyway, it is also far more convenient. Especially with purchases under £45. Present the card and you are done. Quick and simple. Checkouts move quicker, No sodding about with notes and loose change, statements itemising purchases if you want that. Gone are the days of finding a cash machine when you go shopping. What’s not to like.
If you've googlepay or applepay you don't even have to worry about the £45 limit. Just wave your phone at the machine and you can pay contactless for £100's . Charges for card payments exist, obviously, but they're generally lower than cash handling from my memory of paying for them. Why else would shops offer cashback at the till for no charge?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Beradogs wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:18 am I don’t have a cellular phone and mostly carry cash. Just had 4 days staying in central london at a v nice hotel getting increasingly angry at everything needing a card, phone or both.
Very surprised to see you’re struggling to adapt to modern life and getting angered by progress.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Just had my supporters Club membership application form in the post , thier bar will still take cash 👍
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

I've been cashless for ages. All donations gladly received.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

StillSpike wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:56 am

If you've googlepay or applepay you don't even have to worry about the £45 limit. Just wave your phone at the machine and you can pay contactless for £100's . Charges for card payments exist, obviously, but they're generally lower than cash handling from my memory of paying for them. Why else would shops offer cashback at the till for no charge?
Not yet bothered with Applepay. Very simple I know but for now I’m ok with inserting the card and tapping in my number. Didn’t know the limit was £100. Interesting. Use PayPal for online stuff. My local council does not accept PayPal or credit cards. Insist on a debit card. A rare use for my debit card. That and the lottery.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Evan the brass carry a card reader around with them nowadays.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Assume it's only olds, cabbies, dodgy takeaways and drug dealers dealing in cash these days
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:29 pm Assume it's only olds, cabbies, dodgy takeaways and drug dealers dealing in cash these days
I think you'll find that the drug dealers are way ahead of the curve when it comes to going cashless.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:29 pm Assume it's only olds, cabbies, dodgy takeaways and drug dealers dealing in cash these days
Some coppers still do ;)
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:56 am

Not yet bothered with Applepay. Very simple I know but for now I’m ok with inserting the card and tapping in my number. Didn’t know the limit was £100. Interesting. Use PayPal for online stuff. My local council does not accept PayPal or credit cards. Insist on a debit card. A rare use for my debit card. That and the lottery.
It's not a £100 limit - I meant £100's - I've just paid Morrisons £145 for the weekly shop contactless via googlepay on my phone. Not sure there even is a limit - I've never reached it if there is
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Agreed. Cash costs businesses c.3% to bank these days. Its why supermarkets are keen to give it back. By comparison, processing fees and %'s of the transactions value means that an electronic payment is so much cheaper for all concerned. Personal banking charges are much lower than 20-30 years ago because of it - and its not stopping there.

As of 15th October the contactless limit is going up to £100, from £45, so more and more transactions will happen instantly. A cashless society is not far off IMO - within a generation for sure.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

LittleMate wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:20 pm
As of 15th October the contactless limit is going up to £100, from £45, so more and more transactions will happen instantly. A cashless society is not far off IMO - within a generation for sure.
Can you imagine the amount of fraud claims that banks will have to reimburse when a lost, dropped or stolen card can be used to spend up to £100 with no PIN required?
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Sweden and Denmark are virtually cashless already. If you can find a bank (many branches have closed), it just has desks so you can chat about mortgages.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Ornchurch wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:28 pm
LittleMate wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:20 pm
Can you imagine the amount of fraud claims that banks will have to reimburse when a lost, dropped or stolen card can be used to spend up to £100 with no PIN required?
The cumulative spend (which was £145) reduces the potential liability. Besides the systems these days detect rapid/unusual spend patterns and quickly ask for more authentication.

"From 15 October 2021, the UK payments industry will begin enabling an increase in the limits for contactless card transactions to £100 for each individual payment and to £300 cumulative spend. "
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

PutneyO wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:36 am It's discriminating against people who haven't got a credit card.
You might even be able to pay with that chip on your shoulder
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:12 pm
PutneyO wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:36 am It's discriminating against people who haven't got a credit card.
You might even be able to pay with that chip on your shoulder
Pin that suggestion on your notice board.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I remember being in New Orleans in 1976 and seeing a shop saying "Credit Cards only, no cash held on premises". That memory sticks with me because of what a surprise it was. I don't think I had a cashcard, let alone a credit card then. That was 45 years ago. Cash has been around for a few thousand years, it'll take more than a pandemic to sound it's death knell.

But I like the increased use of cards, except I find I forget to take any petty cash with me to tip the server when we have a meal and I don't like putting it on the card as I'm sure not all of that gets to the server.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Tbf for Orient this is a huge jump into the present. You couldn’t pay with card inside the ground until very very recently. Remember many hungover Saturdays desperate for a dirty burger and a coke only to curse that I hadn’t remembered to get any cash out
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Banks will soon be a thing of the past 😳
waigO
Fresh Alias

Post by waigO »

Sorry to say it old folks but cash is a thing of the past for many sensible reasons. Get your children or grandchildren to show you how the world is working these days.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Can’t wait til they start taking BTC inside the ground.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Get a pre paid cash card that you use like a debit card. Load it up with a bit of cash every month problem solved.