Clueless Southgate

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Clueless Southgate

Post by Adz »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:36 am
Adz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:16 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:09 am

Kane (and Grealish) excepted, they're all bit part players in their clubs successes rather than the driving force. And Kane (and Grealish) isn't at one of the big clubs.

We're weak at centre half and weak at cdm. Southgate therefore has no choice but to play 2 holding defensive midfielders.
What a crock of sh!t they have not been bit parts, at all.

Bellingham will be the answer to our problems in the middle, just a bit too young at the moment
Not one of them is the main man at their club, Kane and Grealish excluded.
That's not what you said, but rice for sure and you could make an argument for Mount also. How many of Italy or France or Germany or anyone else are the main man, seeing as there can only be one per team and the best players are within about 20 or so European teams?
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:29 am
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:54 am
Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:54 am

This is the inevitable over correction against the absurd expectations we tend to have. Likes of Foden, Mount, Sterling, Stones, Walker, James, Chillwell, Maguire, Henderson and Kane have all been key players in teams that have reached European finals in the last few years. There should be a way you can fashion a team that manages to compensate for the obvious shortcomings in central midfield (though granted I've been saying that all my life).

I get that we are a level below your France or Germany's. But that makes the stodginess of the football even worse in a way. If we aren't going to do anything at these tournaments, we might as well have some fun in the process. 1/3rd of goals scored by an Englishman at a major tournament this summer have been by a Chilean ffs.
Yeah but CM is the hardest area on the pitch to hide weaknesses in. You can get away with it against the lesser sides but deep into tournaments you’re bound to come up against a quality side who can exploit it

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we have no chance of winning the thing - we have the attacking talent to cause any teams problems, but they can’t do anything if we can’t get the ball

Except the obvious anomaly of Greece in 2004, I can’t think of any tournament winners - or top sides that have knocked us out - that haven’t had a top class CM. Modric helped Croatia pass us off the park in 2018, Pirlo and Italy passed us to death in 2012, Germany in 2010, even Belgium comfortably had the better of us twice in 2018 too
I agree, but to a certain extent you can counter lacking a top class central midfielder through a slick pressing set up. Liverpool won the champions League with Henderson and Milner as their key CMs. But cause Kane can't really move anymore, we can't press as a team. The gaps when Saka or Sterling pressure the opposition defender on the ball and the next receiver are enormous.

I think there's an argument to be made that going with DCL or Sterling as false 9 would give us a lot more energy and cohesion in pressing the opposition, which would make the lack of a deep lying playmaker less of an issue because you'd smother the opposition.

But all easier said and done. Would take massive cajones for Southgate to drop his top scorer and captain.
All very good points, and don’t disagree with any of them. The only thing about that approach that concerns me is it means playing a high line which a partnership of Maguire and Stones wouldn’t be comfortable with. If France or Germany beat our press it has the potential to get extremely ugly against Mbappe or Gnabry/Werner.

I guess you can fix that by moving to a back three with Mings / bringing Walker inside for some extra pace, but that also means in reality that only one of Mount, Grealish and Foden plays
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I think that's where Italy will get torn to shreds. They are playing a high line with Chellini and Bonucci. But it's certainly more fun to watch and feels like an identifiable style that could be built on. Once Tomori, White etc get more experience, then you have some pace to play a high line. If Italy can play that way, I don't see why we couldn't - I am confident we have better players for it than them.

The current set up doesn't know what style it wants to play, who should play in it and what this means for our next tournament, which is next year lest we forget. All feels a bit of a waste of time.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:38 am The only two whose absence has a direct impact on their teams results and performances
Yep, this is what I'm trying to get at.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:52 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:38 am The only two whose absence has a direct impact on their teams results and performances
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... ague-title

Do go on...
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Adz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Do go on...
But the expert pundits say that Liverpool’s woes were all down to Van Dijk being injured 😂
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:47 pm Sometimes less talented teams who work their bollocks off and play well get good results in derby matches.

A 3-0 win on Tuesday and you’ll all be noshing Southgate off again. It’s a pragmatic England and has been for years. Quite happy with it when it gets you to the semis.
There is no chance us getting a 3-0 win against any of the teams in Group F. As other people have said on this forum Southgate is not the manager for England at this time with lots of talented and skilful players in the squad. Very negative
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Adz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Do go on...
Can't believe you made me click on an express link.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:54 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:15 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:12 pm Another disappointing team by Southgate
Mings dropped, even though he was England's best player against Scotland in a defence that kept a clean sheet.
Foden dropped, but clown Stirling left in.????
Stirling must have something on Southgate, because however useless he is, he never gets dropped
The sooner Southgate goes the better
:clown
Moron...I knew they'd be a comment from you.
Shame there was no comment when Stirling missed a sitter, I would have scored.
From someone who's doesn't actually go and watch football..........
:clown :clown :clown
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

dies ist eine völlige Katastrophe
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Southgate...genius 😂😂😂😂
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Sterling has 15 in his last 20 for England 😂

One of coyos worst ever calls and that takes some doing
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

State. Of. This. f*cking. Thread.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Not seen us play before. The football was dire but apparently we are usually worse. Two good goals mind and it’s how Italy used to win things. Bore the other team to sleep.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Beradogs wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:10 pm Not seen us play before. The football was dire but apparently we are usually worse. Two good goals mind and it’s how Italy used to win things. Bore the other team to sleep.
Christ. I'm agreeing with Bera.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Wasn’t pretty but as stated, Southgate did what was needed
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

If only we still played the scintillating football we used to play in tournaments.
Jack
Fresh Alias

Post by Jack »

Delighted England won, but for an hour or so it was defensive cautious boring football. Keeping clean sheets is one thing, but there must be entertainment as well, and England, under Southgate provide little entertainment
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Real Al wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:58 pm If only we still played the scintillating football we used to play in tournaments.
Ha - there's some truth in this of course. We've never been a flair team but I can't recall us ever being so consistently dull to watch. We got a win but I didn't enjoy the game at all. If you want to win at any cost then this is acceptable I guess. I like to watch an exciting game of football and last nights games demonstrated that this is still possible if you set up to play with flair and aggression.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

BoniO wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:05 pm
Real Al wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:58 pm If only we still played the scintillating football we used to play in tournaments.
Ha - there's some truth in this of course. We've never been a flair team but I can't recall us ever being so consistently dull to watch. We got a win but I didn't enjoy the game at all. If you want to win at any cost then this is acceptable I guess. I like to watch an exciting game of football and last nights games demonstrated that this is still possible if you set up to play with flair and aggression.
Mug
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:12 pm
BoniO wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:05 pm
Mug
Plagiarist
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

I get the feeling there are a lot of Max B Gold alias' on this thread. Can't stand England winning.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

WickfordO wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:45 pm I get the feeling there are a lot of Max B Gold alias' on this thread. Can't stand England winning.
Balderdash. Ihr Name wird auch auf der ze Liste stehen
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Are the same people that moan continuously about Orient the same ones moaning about England?
Mike pinner
Fresh Alias

Post by Mike pinner »

:lol: