Oh dear Scotland

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Oh dear Scotland

Post by Real Al »

3 up and heading for the knockout stages... then they did an Orient :mrgreen:
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oh dear Scotland

Post by Admin »

Regardless of Scotland’s collapse, VAR is going kill football at this rate.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

admin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:05 pm Regardless of Scotland’s collapse, VAR is going kill football at this rate.
What has it done tonight? I really don't like how we've gone from "clear and obvious" that yields quick decisions to nitpicking dubious offsides and fouls that seem subjective at best and downright wrong at worst.
Constantine
Fresh Alias

Post by Constantine »

Can't wait for every premier league penalty to get retaken next season.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

gshaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:07 pm
admin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:05 pm Regardless of Scotland’s collapse, VAR is going kill football at this rate.
What has it done tonight? I really don't like how we've gone from "clear and obvious" that yields quick decisions to nitpicking dubious offsides and fouls that seem subjective at best and downright wrong at worst.
Look forward to as many as three VAR penalties per match in the premier division from next season. Adding to the ways of getting penalties, diving, running into defenders and now dinking the ball at defenders arms !
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Oh and don't forget the ludicrous rule about the goalkeeper having one foot on the line. Basically makes every penalty save a re-take from here on.

Amazing how the football authorities manage to get it so wrong, so regularly.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

VAR will get the blame (I hate it so let it be) but tonight it was the ridiculous new penalty rule about the keeper being on the line that ruined the game. That and the added time debacle.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

At least the Scottish women scored three, something that eludes the men's team.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Seeing as the scots support every side that plays England I was overjoyed not only that they threw away a three goal lead but that having thought they were through after the penalty save they then lost on the retake. Along with England winning made my night.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Eventually var will replace lino's and 4th officials. The AI tech will improve to the extent that all offside decisions are instantly relayed to the ref. Ultimately the ref will just be there to communicate decisions to players, rather than make decisions themselves.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

It is not VAR, but the incompetents using it who are doing the killing.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Real Al wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 pm 3 up and heading for the knockout stages... then they did an Orient :mrgreen:
😁yup!
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

gshaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:20 pm Oh and don't forget the ludicrous rule about the goalkeeper having one foot on the line. Basically makes every penalty save a re-take from here on.

If this rule is strictly adhered to, I would imagine near to 100% of penalties would have to be retaken again nearly every time the penalty taker fails to score. The VAR judging is not that good anyway, I watched the game on Monday 17th June Nigeria v France where France were given the chance to retake the penalty after the young Nigerian goalkeeper moved off the line as the kick was taken. On both occasions, watching on my frame by frame slow motion, French players stepped into the penalty area fractions of seconds before before the penalty kick was actually taken, but the VAR judges failed to see or ignored that !! So the goalie was penalised for her mistake but NOT the French players who stepped into the penalty area, wonder why the VAR judges failed to pick that up ?
eppinggas
Fresh Alias

Post by eppinggas »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:56 am
gshaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:20 pm Oh and don't forget the ludicrous rule about the goalkeeper having one foot on the line. Basically makes every penalty save a re-take from here on.

If this rule is strictly adhered to, I would imagine near to 100% of penalties would have to be retaken again nearly every time the penalty taker fails to score. The VAR judging is not that good anyway, I watched the game on Monday 17th June Nigeria v France where France were given the chance to retake the penalty after the young Nigerian goalkeeper moved off the line as the kick was taken. On both occasions, watching on my frame by frame slow motion, French players stepped into the penalty area fractions of seconds before before the penalty kick was actually taken, but the VAR judges failed to see or ignored that !! So the goalie was penalised for her mistake but NOT the French players who stepped into the penalty area, wonder why the VAR judges failed to pick that up ?
Country hosting world cup win game on debatable decisions. At least the men's and women's tournaments are treated equally by officials.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:56 am

I agree that encroaching should also be picked up on VAR but can you imagine how long it could take to complete 1 penalty kick due to the stupidity of players? Every pen scored will have to be retaken for encroachment and every 1 saved due to the keepers foot being half inch off the line. :lol:
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

VAR was very unkind to Scotland as was the change in the handball rule which is a nonsense.

That said the manager screwed up the tactics in the 1dt 2 games and did not introduce fresh legs soon enough in the last game. There is no excuse for the players v Argentina. Shocking.

The Manager (whatever her name is) AHT!! Big Eck IN.

Also, cannot wait to get right behind England's next opponents and cheer them all the way to victory by PUMPING.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:02 pm VAR was very unkind to Scotland as was the change in the handball rule which is a nonsense.

That said the manager screwed up the tactics in the 1dt 2 games and did not introduce fresh legs soon enough in the last game. There is no excuse for the players v Argentina. Shocking.

Also, cannot wait to get right behind England's next opponents and cheer them all the way to victory by PUMPING.
Scotland have been SO unlucky in this tournament, but did not help themselves last night. I do not think Shelley Kerr is up to much when it comes to football tactics and game management.
The penalty awarded against Scotland in the England match was a shocking decision, I wished at the time that the English penalty taker had deliberately missed it !! I like any team I support to win fair and square, not like that !
Perhaps with VAR in use, out and out deliberate handball to be given as penalty kick. Non deliberate handball as in Scotlands case against England, indirect free kick to be taken from the edge of the box in line where the incident happened.
Perhaps goalkeeper to be allowed up to a foot off the line when the penalty is taken would make more sense.
Lastly, what a player Erin Cuthbert is, really gutsy and what a fighter, never gives up, so quick and skillful. Erin is a World class forward in ladies football in my opinion !!
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:26 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:02 pm VAR was very unkind to Scotland as was the change in the handball rule which is a nonsense.

Scotland have been SO unlucky in this tournament, but did not help themselves last night. I do not think Shelley Kerr is up to much when it comes to football tactics and game management.
The penalty awarded against Scotland in the England match was a shocking decision, I wished at the time that the English penalty taker had deliberately missed it !! I like any team I support to win fair and square, not like that !
Perhaps with VAR in use, out and out deliberate handball to be given as penalty kick. Non deliberate handball as in Scotlands case against England, indirect free kick to be taken from the edge of the box in line where the incident happened.
Perhaps goalkeeper to be allowed up to a foot off the line when the penalty is taken would make more sense.
Lastly, what a player Erin Cuthbert is, really gutsy and what a fighter, never gives up, so quick and skillful. Erin is a World class forward in ladies football in my opinion !!
For me Erin is the Dougie Arnott of wimmins football. Cracking player. Shame she plays for Chelsea.
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

Now I hate Scotland even more. I have never wanted Scotland to win anything, but as I drew them in the sweepstake at work, I thought I'd root for them. Typical, I think I must be a Jonah, or maybe it was just them being Scotland.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:04 pm

For me Erin is the Dougie Arnott of wimmins football. Cracking player. Shame she plays for Chelsea.
Question, wonder why this foul is called a ''HANDBALL'' offence rather than it was in this case, an ''ARMBALL'' ?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Question, wonder why this foul is called a ''HANDBALL'' offence rather than it was in this case, an ''ARMBALL'' ?
I'm not going to even bother checking this but those sneaky, oily legal types who run the game have probably defined "handball" to mean any part of the arm.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Never heard of ''Dougie Arnott'' before, looks a cracking player in this video. A 'Worldy'' goal scored here at 4.53 mins.
Judging by this video, the 1991 Motherwell team looked excellent.
Motherwell 4 Celtic 2 1991 Scottish Cup Semi Final Replay
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Same old same old.
Oldgit
Fresh Alias

Post by Oldgit »

Goalkeepers have always had to stand on the line. What the referees don't enforce is encroachment
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Adz wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 pm Eventually var will replace lino's and 4th officials. The AI tech will improve to the extent that all offside decisions are instantly relayed to the ref. Ultimately the ref will just be there to communicate decisions to players, rather than make decisions themselves.
Good idea.They should privatise football.