Dan Happe

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Dan Happe

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:09 pm
Kitch’s Magic Toes wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:26 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:16 pm

How do you know he's no longer one of our top two centre backs?
Because Beckles and Thompson are both better than him.

KMT
No!!! This is your personal opinion, not a fact.

For a start nobody knows how and even if Thompson is going to recover from very serious injuries, so how can you say he's better than Happe?

Thompson may not be fit for the start of the season, and Happe will play. If he does well, he'll keep the shirt.
Don't give your opinion and tell me it's fact. It isn't.
Thompson is obviously better than him.
Fisch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fisch »

How many opinions does it take before it becomes factual enough?

Happe suffers an attention deficit. He loses concentration too often, gets on the wrong side of his man, gives away fouls as he attempts to recover, loses sight of his man due to ball watching who then sneaks off into unmarked space. Until he can correct this, he is not of EFL standard. Thompson and Beckles almost certainly are.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

LittleMate wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:57 pm
LittleMate wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:34 pm

Stupid statement.

Happe has played below the standard expected of him last season. He's not a kid anymore - there are 8 players in the England squad younger than him - and he needs to be a bit more responsible for his actions. Judging by the new signings, his best hopes of playing consistently are to start playing up to the level expected of him; injury or 3 centre backs.
He isn’t an experienced player in his prime either. He’s still progressing and learning. Those 8 players have been playing at a high level and brought through slowly by their clubs. Some have gone on loan. He was forced into being the main man and leading a defence consisting of Sam Ling, Akinola and James Brophy.

Everyone played below the standard required because the club didn’t have a good coaching setup.
Of course he's still learning - but last year he went backwards and has now clocked up over pro 100 games. Some players never make it to that number. He could do with premier league coaching but he's not premier league standard. Its easy to blame the setup but given the number of games played and the mistakes made, he needs to look at himself more.
He went backwards because he had sh*t coaches coaching him and was forced to be the main man at the back. Doesn’t matter how many games he’s played.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

He can stroke the ball with aplomb…
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:28 pm
He isn’t an experienced player in his prime either. He’s still progressing and learning. Those 8 players have been playing at a high level and brought through slowly by their clubs. Some have gone on loan. He was forced into being the main man and leading a defence consisting of Sam Ling, Akinola and James Brophy.

Everyone played below the standard required because the club didn’t have a good coaching setup.
Of course he's still learning - but last year he went backwards and has now clocked up over pro 100 games. Some players never make it to that number. He could do with premier league coaching but he's not premier league standard. Its easy to blame the setup but given the number of games played and the mistakes made, he needs to look at himself more.
He went backwards because he had sh*t coaches coaching him and was forced to be the main man at the back. Doesn’t matter how many games he’s played.
George Best won the prison cup when he was in Jail

Bad coaching doesnt regress a great player .
KVN
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by KVN »

Let him go, let him go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let him go, let him go
Turn away and slam the door.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Load of crap. tell me how many games he played last season when he was "the main man at the back".
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

LittleMate wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:09 am

Load of crap. tell me how many games he played last season when he was "the main man at the back".
He played more than double what Turley and Coulson did. He was the number 1 CB.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

He was even made captain at one point.

I don't think that's so much the issue. His lack of development over these last few years, the treading water when he should be pushing forward, is a reflection of everything that's gone on at the club. It's just it's more evident in a young player at such a critical stage.

I can't think of a single player these past 2/3 years who has actually been developed by the club and improved significantly, if at all. And that falls at the lap of our DoF and coaching staff.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Even Hector, another outstanding prospect, isn't pushing on as he should be.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:11 am He was even made captain at one point.

I don't think that's so much the issue. His lack of development over these last few years, the treading water when he should be pushing forward, is a reflection of everything that's gone on at the club. It's just it's more evident in a young player at such a critical stage.

I can't think of a single player these past 2/3 years who has actually been developed by the club and improved significantly, if at all. And that falls at the lap of our DoF and coaching staff.
This and the post about Hector is spot on. Even Ruel was stuck on the left wing when he played.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:12 am Even Hector, another outstanding prospect, isn't pushing on as he should be.
2019-20 6 Appearances
2020-21 22 Appearances

Just been promoted to the full Cyprus squad.

But obviously he's not progressing. He's a young 20 year old still learning his trade, he will make mistakes. I suppose you are expecting man of the match performances every week ?
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 am
Even more crap than your last post. Turley played 18 league games last season; Coulson 20. The pair hardly played together. Happe played 40 league games - so by default he must have played 75% of his games with one of these two. He'd be the #2 to both of these.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

LittleMate wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 am
BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 am

Even more crap than your last post. Turley played 18 league games last season; Coulson 20. The pair hardly played together. Happe played 40 league games - so by default he must have played 75% of his games with one of these two. He'd be the #2 to both of these.
No, Akinola played in the middle towards the end of the season too. Thompson played for a couple of games.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Centre back stats

Happe - 40
Coulson - 20 (didn’t play again after the end of Jan)
Turley - 20 (4 substitute appearances before March then started)
Akinola - 15
Thompson - 6

Are you seriously suggesting that a man who was clearly the number one starter at the back when fit/not suspended was not the main man at the back?
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:12 am Even Hector, another outstanding prospect, isn't pushing on as he should be.
Really! Is that a serious comment. The young man is pushing on quite well in my opinion. Still some way to go before he can start challenging for the first choice spot in the team. But he is definitely making people take notice.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Milano wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:16 pm How many opinions does it take before it becomes factual enough?

Happe suffers an attention deficit. He loses concentration too often, gets on the wrong side of his man, gives away fouls as he attempts to recover, loses sight of his man due to ball watching who then sneaks off into unmarked space. Until he can correct this, he is not of EFL standard. Thompson and Beckles almost certainly are.
Fair assessment. He does seem to mentally drift out of the game. And his positioning is sometimes way off. But I feel there is a good player in there and with the right coaching and maybe to odd kick up the backside, he will come good. EFL standard. Probably in my opinion. But definitely work in progress.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:32 pm
Milano wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:16 pm How many opinions does it take before it becomes factual enough?

Fair assessment. He does seem to mentally drift out of the game. And his positioning is sometimes way off. But I feel there is a good player in there and with the right coaching and maybe to odd kick up the backside, he will come good. EFL standard. Probably in my opinion. But definitely work in progress.
Yes agree with that and also very good header of the ball. If he does stay at the Os, I think he will benefit from the better coaching he will get under the new manager and his team.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:28 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:11 am He was even made captain at one point.

This and the post about Hector is spot on. Even Ruel was stuck on the left wing when he played.
''Even Ruel was stuck on the left wing when he played''
Agree, that was a ridiculous tactic.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 am
2019-20 6 Appearances
2020-21 22 Appearances

Just been promoted to the full Cyprus squad.

But obviously he's not progressing. He's a young 20 year old still learning his trade, he will make mistakes. I suppose you are expecting man of the match performances every week ?
Half of those appearances last season were as sub.

This isn't a criticism of Hector. I really, really rate him.

I'm just saying he - and every other player in the squad - appears to have suffered from a lack of adequate coaching these past couple of years. Like I said, please tell me someone we've developed if you think I'm wrong?

Hopefully that will all change now with Jackett and his man in charge.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Tbf. This board creams over Thompson over about 6 performances. Time will tell but you’d think he was Ramos by the comments on here
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:35 pm Tbf. This board creams over Thompson over about 6 performances. Time will tell but you’d think he was Ramos by the comments on here
Agree fully and many seem to think that he will be 100% up and running and fully ready for the start of next season when in fact as far as we know, he is still going through his fitness recovery programme in order to recover from his bad ankle injury !
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:35 pm Tbf. This board creams over Thompson over about 6 performances. Time will tell but you’d think he was Ramos by the comments on here
Some of us have Shrimper friends and ask their opinion. Pretty good as it happens. So not based on 6 games, more like 100.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:06 pm
Some of us have Shrimper friends and ask their opinion. Pretty good as it happens. So not based on 6 games,
I’m not saying he is sh*t but the way he is talked up is strange. He’s also had a bad injury. I think he’ll be good for us but also think a kid who has lots of potential, working with some decent coaches would be pushing for a starting place.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

In those appearances, if you saw them, it was clear he was an average L1 standard centre half, so easily good enough for L2.