Ross Embleton

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Ross Embleton

Post by gshaw »

Is it "unbelievable" to query the interim title? That's what seems off to me far more than the staff being assigned the role.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

gshaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:31 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 pm Was there this sort of backlash when Davis was sacked and Ross stepped in then, with Brill also stepping up?

It’s an interim appointment only.
Different when you're in pre-season rebuilding a squad. Why have an interim, sign 5-6 players then decide to get a manager in 2-3 months later who might not want them?

For me either have confidence in Embleton & co, big them up and build belief or take the tough decision early and bring in someone to shape the squad as they want it from the start.
Justin died 10 f*cking days ago. What do you want Travis and Teague to do, miraculously pull a new manager out of one of their arseholes?

It’s an interim appointment to tide us over.
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

Yes.

As I said, the circumstances are almost certainly totally unique in football so it makes perfect sense to me.
Reading between the lines, Ling has pretty much said that it’s there to protect Ross as much as anything.

If it does go horribly wrong, nobody from the current set up deserves to lose a job......or are you saying that if we are bottom in November, they should all be sacked 6 months after winning our second championship in 50 years?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:45 pm
gshaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:31 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 pm Was there this sort of backlash when Davis was sacked and Ross stepped in then, with Brill also stepping up?

It’s an interim appointment only.
Different when you're in pre-season rebuilding a squad. Why have an interim, sign 5-6 players then decide to get a manager in 2-3 months later who might not want them?

For me either have confidence in Embleton & co, big them up and build belief or take the tough decision early and bring in someone to shape the squad as they want it from the start.
Justin died 10 f*** days ago. What do you want Travis and Teague to do, miraculously pull a new manager out of one of their arseholes?

It’s an interim appointment to tide us over.
Give them the job for the season or just don't say the word "interim" at all.

If they were to step back into previous jobs just keep that arrangement between them and the board. Can't see what's gained by going so public with it.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Let’s say circumstances weren’t so tragic and Justin had been sacked. The exact same thing would happen, Ross would step in as interim/caretaker/acting manager. The club would then look for a replacement and if results were good, Embleton would be considered for the post along with other suitable candidates.

What’s the issue here?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 pm Let’s say circumstances weren’t so tragic and Justin had been sacked. The exact same thing would happen, Ross would step in as interim/caretaker/acting manager. The club would then look for a replacement and if results were good, Embleton would be considered for the post along with other suitable candidates.

What’s the issue here?
No, you'd have a permanent appointment in before start of the season. You don't sign half a squad (which we have to do given the players released and now sold) with a manager who might not be in post by end of the calendar year.

Announce the team today as new Head coach etc, put the management appointment talk to bed and focus on recruitment and the new season. Now Ross is always looking over his shoulder for how long "interim" lasts if results don't go as planned.

Just adds more uncertainty in a week where the squad is now subject to a lot more change than hoped (although not entirely unexpected).

As a player would you sign for a temporary manager?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Ok then 👍
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

gshaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:06 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 pm Let’s say circumstances weren’t so tragic and Justin had been sacked. The exact same thing would happen, Ross would step in as interim/caretaker/acting manager. The club would then look for a replacement and if results were good, Embleton would be considered for the post along with other suitable candidates.

What’s the issue here?
No, you'd have a permanent appointment in before start of the season. You don't sign half a squad (which we have to do given the players released and now sold) with a manager who might not be in post by end of the calendar year.

Announce the team today as new Head coach etc, put the management appointment talk to bed and focus on recruitment and the new season. Now Ross is always looking over his shoulder for how long "interim" lasts if results don't go as planned.

Just adds more uncertainty in a week where the squad is now subject to a lot more change than hoped (although not entirely unexpected).

If I was good enough at football, yes :D
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

O Superman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:13 pm

What’s the issue here?

Joking aside, if a League 1 / 2 player with a mortgage to pay is out of contract and is offered a 2 year deal, do you seriously think he cares if the manager is ‘interim’? If the manager does get fired at Christmas, he still has 18 months on his contract!

Again, I’d rather concentrate on maintaining the camaraderie.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

All of Wilkinson, Wright and Turley seemed happy to sign even though the position is up in the air.

The problem here is that we’ve lost Justin. He would have been a massive draw at this level, cos of his reputation and charisma when meeting in person.

I’d argue that knowing Ross is only the interim manager is more of a draw than if he had been promoted permanently. No disrespect to Ross or the others, obviously.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

O Superman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:38 pm
O Superman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Joking aside, if a League 1 / 2 player with a mortgage to pay is out of contract and is offered a 2 year deal, do you seriously think he cares if the manager is ‘interim’? If the manager does get fired at Christmas, he still has 18 months on his contract!

Again, I’d rather concentrate on maintaining the camaraderie.
Some players, the better ones, may well have more than one offer. May also be interested in a club that is likely to develop his career. The managerial setup is a consideration. But tbh I think our set up will have its attractions.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Just don’t know how he’s going to pick up a team
that have not won (or even managed to score) in their past three games.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Just wish Justin was still here tbh :(
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:50 pm Just wish Justin was still here tbh :(
Don't we all, but the club has to move on which is what Justin would have wanted.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

O Superman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 pm Some unbelievable comments on here but I guess as they are largely from the usual suspects, they are actually totally predicable 😔

The circumstances are almost certainly unique here.
Sure, there have been plenty of times when a manager has won promotion/ the championship and left for whatever reason....but surely not like this!

I don’t know what the players are thinking but then again, neither do any of you.
However, if I were in the same position, I’d like to think that I would want to stick with my mates and carry on the great work that has clearly been done up to now.

Bringing someone else in at this stage would be a massive challenge both to the manager in question and the players and in my opinion is not an option.
Promoting someone from within over Ross would be both unfair on him (Ross) and make it virtually impossible to unwind the situation if it does go tits up.

The decision that has been made is therefore totally logical and the only one that could be made in the circumstances.

Incidentally, i can’t help noticing that the people who are saying that Ross is not the right person are pretty much the same ones who were still insisting in early April that we were bound to blow it last season!

I’ll draw my own conclusions on their collective football knowledge. Personally, I’d rather get behind the new management team and the players from the first kick of the season.

If it works out, it works out but in the grand scheme of things, a good man has died here so I don’t give a toss where we finish next season as long as it’s above the bottom 2.

We can take it from there.
Criticising the appointment does not imply not getting behind him.

You take a very simplistic view don’t you.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

O Superman has it right.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Ross will cut it - I hope I’m wrong - but this buys us time to get the right man in.
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

Disoriented wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:01 am
O Superman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 pm Some unbelievable comments on here but I guess as they are largely from the usual suspects, they are actually totally predicable 😔

The circumstances are almost certainly unique here.
Sure, there have been plenty of times when a manager has won promotion/ the championship and left for whatever reason....but surely not like this!

I don’t know what the players are thinking but then again, neither do any of you.
However, if I were in the same position, I’d like to think that I would want to stick with my mates and carry on the great work that has clearly been done up to now.

Bringing someone else in at this stage would be a massive challenge both to the manager in question and the players and in my opinion is not an option.
Promoting someone from within over Ross would be both unfair on him (Ross) and make it virtually impossible to unwind the situation if it does go tits up.

The decision that has been made is therefore totally logical and the only one that could be made in the circumstances.

Incidentally, i can’t help noticing that the people who are saying that Ross is not the right person are pretty much the same ones who were still insisting in early April that we were bound to blow it last season!

I’ll draw my own conclusions on their collective football knowledge. Personally, I’d rather get behind the new management team and the players from the first kick of the season.

If it works out, it works out but in the grand scheme of things, a good man has died here so I don’t give a toss where we finish next season as long as it’s above the bottom 2.

We can take it from there.
Criticising the appointment does not imply not getting behind him.

You take a very simplistic view don’t you.
Possibly.
I see football as a reasonably simple game.
Not as simplistic as trying to find something wrong with everything the club does, though.
I’m sure you don’t fit into that category, of course, but there are some who seem to take great delight in implying they could do everything better than people who have actually worked in football for many years.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

.. But nothing wrong with criticism. It is possible you know, that they, (the club) could have made the wrong choice..
RBMarshall
Fresh Alias

Post by RBMarshall »

Football is a game of small margins. What Ross has learnt from Justin since his last go as interim head coach and coupled with the fact he is now assisted by Jobi and Danny should make the difference between success and failure.
Don't let negativity spread from the terraces to the pitch. Let's all get behind this team, they can continue Justin's work.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

I'm sure those that didn't quite agree with this appointment are not going to boo the team when they run out in August.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:26 pm I'm sure those that didn't quite agree with this appointment are not going to boo the team when they run out in August.
If only I could be as sure as you seem to be. My thinking is they will probably be able to hold off until at least half time but if it's not going well the booing will commence.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

If any numpties start booing I hope the people around them take them to task.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:30 pm If any numpties start booing I hope the people around them take them to task.
Don't you think there's been enough Orient in the courts this week already. Think about that before you go all Charles Bronson on us please.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

He just got divorced today funny enough.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

I only boo when SUFTO is demanded