Ross Embleton

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Ross Embleton

Post by OyinbO »

"interim" is key here - we needed someone, something in place at this delicate stage - with everyone still in shock about JE, we've got key recruitment and transfer business to negotiate, and preparations for next season. If we are serious about progression next season, we can't really linger in limbo. This is the sensible decision in the circumstances, keeps the show on the road while keeping wriggle room open for RE to exceed expectations or for another appointment to fall into our lap.
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

OyinbO wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:18 pm "interim" is key here - we needed someone, something in place at this delicate stage - with everyone still in shock about JE, we've got key recruitment and transfer business to negotiate, and preparations for next season. If we are serious about progression next season, we can't really linger in limbo. This is the sensible decision in the circumstances, keeps the show on the road while keeping wriggle room open for RE to exceed expectations or for another appointment to fall into our lap.
This!
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

Don't agree with this at all, both the decision and the wording around it.

Good luck RE you will have 5000 people supporting you and the team and we understand what a tough job this is.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

We have signed two players that were not liked by fans at previous clubs (Dagenham accepted). Lost Bonne. Hired a interim manager with no playing experience or experience of being the boss. If we lose Koroma and Happe I will not be a happy cabbage!
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Link take on it

Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Beradogs wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 pm We have signed two players that were not liked by fans at previous clubs (Dagenham accepted). Lost Bonne. Hired a interim manager with no playing experience or experience of being the boss. If we lose Koroma and Happe I will not be a happy cabbage!
When was the last time you were happy about anything?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Real Al wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:47 pm
Beradogs wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 pm We have signed two players that were not liked by fans at previous clubs (Dagenham accepted). Lost Bonne. Hired a interim manager with no playing experience or experience of being the boss. If we lose Koroma and Happe I will not be a happy cabbage!
When was the last time you were happy about anything?
Yes, cruelly losing JE the way we did and probably both our top goal scorers, at the moment it's hard to see us not struggling next season. So much now hangs on who our next signings will be. IMO, that's why we needed an experienced manager right now.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

How long does Ling give him if it isn’t going well? He’s known him a long time
DSB
Fresh Alias

Post by DSB »

aylesburyos wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:29 pm Doesn't imply confidence in him. Anon decision. Poor on Ling's part
Roll up, roll up - here come the Ling Haters. Must have been difficult for you to hold your breath during the period of mourning.

Do you really think Martin made this decision on his own ? That T & T were not part of the process ??? Come on, I expected better of you Aylesbury.
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

you did?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

‘Interim’ is a cop-out - either they have faith in the fella or not. Seems like he has a sword of Damocles hanging over his head.

Puzzling decision.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

I don't think it is a that bad a decision, I like the idea of Jobi joining in with the coaching. They will all have learned an awful lot from JE and I hope they put it good use.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

So I've just seen on twitter the picture of Embleton in the Leggett Freight kit from I think 87/88.

Pulled on my heartstrings.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

If we play with the same winning mentality as we did last season under JE I will be happy.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

not my cup of tea.
most of us feel the same, lets hope it all goes well. if we finish in the top 10 we will have had a good season coyos.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Good luck to all 3.

I’ve not watched any interviews as yet but given Justin only passed 10 days ago, and we need someone in place pretty much immediately as key decisions are being made and players will be reporting back next week, this makes sense. We aren’t rushed into a decision, we can begin a proper recruitment process at our leisure.

Expectations for the season are obviously much reduced now, and I don’t expect Ross to get the gig permanently but I wish him all the best.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Buddy Manucci wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 pm Don't agree with this at all, both the decision and the wording around it.

Good luck RE you will have 5000 people supporting you and the team and we understand what a tough job this is.
Agree 100% on both counts.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 pm
gshaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm Big mistake and the first mis-step by the board imo. Either put Ross in with full backing and title or don't do it at all. This just smacks of either having an external lined up to take over and it's just PR for the fans or an easy way out to sack that coaching team if they don't perform.

I have concerns about player recruitment with this situation, as a potential signing would you join a club with an unstable managerial situation?
Understand the concerns but Davis was a far bigger mistake
I think we'll look back on this as Davis Mk2. Hope to be proved wrong. Signings need to come in quickly now in quantity and quality to give him a fighting chance.
Disoriented wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 pm ‘Interim’ is a cop-out - either they have faith in the fella or not. Seems like he has a sword of Damocles hanging over his head.

Puzzling decision.
Absolutely this, even if privately they had a feeling that Embleton might not be a long-term appointment it's very odd to say it publicly. Looks set up to fail imo.
claptonCasual
Fresh Alias

Post by claptonCasual »

Glad its been kept in house, it was the right thing to do!
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Listened to RE and ML about the decision. Personally, whilst it’s a difficult situation for sure, this solution seems a bit wishy washy to me. But given the toughness of the situation and the timing at least it means we have a stable interim (oxymoron), setup going into the new season. But for how many weeks?

Not what I would have preferred but it’s the clubs choice, I pray it works, and will continue to support the club 100%.

Good luck to the new team.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

claptonCasual wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:27 pm Glad its been kept in house, it was the right thing to do!
On an emotional level perhaps but is it the right choice in cold, hard footballing terms? Not so sure, especially if it doesn't work out as half a squad of new players will have been signed by an interim management team (and if they're not we have bigger problems)
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Was there this sort of backlash when Davis was sacked and Ross stepped in then, with Brill also stepping up?

It’s an interim appointment only.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 pm Was there this sort of backlash when Davis was sacked and Ross stepped in then, with Brill also stepping up?

Maybe, maybe not. If it goes well he can expect the role permanently, if not he drops back to assistant It’s buying time for sure but it may work out.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 pm Was there this sort of backlash when Davis was sacked and Ross stepped in then, with Brill also stepping up?

Different when you're in pre-season rebuilding a squad. Why have an interim, sign 5-6 players then decide to get a manager in 2-3 months later who might not want them?

For me either have confidence in Embleton & co, big them up and build belief or take the tough decision early and bring in someone to shape the squad as they want it from the start.
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

Some unbelievable comments on here but I guess as they are largely from the usual suspects, they are actually totally predicable 😔

The circumstances are almost certainly unique here.
Sure, there have been plenty of times when a manager has won promotion/ the championship and left for whatever reason....but surely not like this!

I don’t know what the players are thinking but then again, neither do any of you.
However, if I were in the same position, I’d like to think that I would want to stick with my mates and carry on the great work that has clearly been done up to now.

Bringing someone else in at this stage would be a massive challenge both to the manager in question and the players and in my opinion is not an option.
Promoting someone from within over Ross would be both unfair on him (Ross) and make it virtually impossible to unwind the situation if it does go tits up.

The decision that has been made is therefore totally logical and the only one that could be made in the circumstances.

Incidentally, i can’t help noticing that the people who are saying that Ross is not the right person are pretty much the same ones who were still insisting in early April that we were bound to blow it last season!

I’ll draw my own conclusions on their collective football knowledge. Personally, I’d rather get behind the new management team and the players from the first kick of the season.

If it works out, it works out but in the grand scheme of things, a good man has died here so I don’t give a toss where we finish next season as long as it’s above the bottom 2.

We can take it from there.