Ross Embleton

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Ross Embleton

Post by Thor »

I was so confident that we would have won the league this coming season that I said so on the forum, having belief in Justin and his players to continue the journey we were on. I think it’s the wrong appointment, I don’t think he’s a manager, maybe a coach yes, but they are two different roles. His day to day would have been coaching now he has to put a managers hat on and the relationship with the players is totally different.

I will back him and support him, but now I’ll be happy with 12th place. Whilst I feel flat about the upcoming season cos we’ve lost and his family have lost an inspirational man. I feel a little flatter now.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

Eat The Rich wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:33 pm What the hell did Ling mean when he said

"... The caveat to that is that I don't want anyone being judged during this period that then can be surplus to requirements.”

For the life of me I can't work it out.
I'm taking that to mean "if they don't get the results we want, we won't be kicking them out of the club (due to the particular circumstances)".
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Not convinced with this appointment at all.
I hope I’m wrong, but, I can see Steve Davis mk2.
I feel we are going to have a very challenging season!
Mr. Peanutbutter
Fresh Alias

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter »

Eat The Rich wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:33 pm What the hell did Ling mean when he said

"... The caveat to that is that I don't want anyone being judged during this period that then can be surplus to requirements.”

If it doesn't work out, then we will move them back into their old roles - they're not leaving the club based on performances.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Jeez a ball hasn’t been kicked yet give them a freckling chance
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

If they mess up and get the bullet they can all go back to doing their previous jobs at the club......
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by faith1234 »

Not kicking them out they all just go back to the jobs they were doing before and we will have to get some one else in as manager but only if it does not work
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

This is the decision, so let's all just get behind all of them. It's gonna be difficult we all know that after what's happened. They deserve the chance so get behind them!
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Yeah, I kind of dislike the meaning behind that. Whose requirements are these?

Clearly, Embleton is quite handy for Ling to have around. By having him as assistant with both Edinburgh and Davis it gave Ling at least some representation.

Expectations for the season for me should be revised downwards to mere survival owing to the mitigating circumstances, but Ross should still be assessed on performance like any manager would be.

In a bad scenario where we bomb and have to get a firefighter in I am not so sure how helpful it would be that he stays around the club. Imagine if we had gotten Justin in and insisted Davis was assistant coach, would not have worked.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

If kept in house ( as it has been ) I thought either Danny or Jobi, with Ross a long way behind, be surprised if he is the manager by the end of the coming season.
Lastly, has Ross ever actually played football himself, cannot see anything on his past record of jobs that shows any mention of football clubs that he has played for in the past ?
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

We've moaned about Ebou,
Bonne to Charlton,
Gorman, Alabi & Lee.
Lack of midfielder, this news is worse & I confess I'm a happy clappy.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

As much as I will support this I’m also a realist I would be a tad pissed off if we went on a really bad run then everyone reverts back to there original role as nothing has happened and then a new manager comes in and has to start all over again
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 pm If kept in house ( as it has been ) I thought either Danny or Jobi, with Ross a long way behind, be surprised if he is the manager by the end of the coming season.
Lastly, has Ross ever actually played football himself, cannot see anything on his past record of jobs that shows any mention of football clubs that he has played for in the past ?
We released him as a14 year old. He hasn't played anywhere since.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

'come on' above, summed it up what the implications for us are when using the word interim - should Embleton revert to his old position towards the end of the year, then we could be looking at the possibility of diving headlong back into the National league.
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

I must make a point in saying in his previous role he fulfilled it excellently.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Big mistake and the first mis-step by the board imo. Either put Ross in with full backing and title or don't do it at all. This just smacks of either having an external lined up to take over and it's just PR for the fans or an easy way out to sack that coaching team if they don't perform.

I have concerns about player recruitment with this situation, as a potential signing would you join a club with an unstable managerial situation?
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Given the untimely passing of Justin and the massive impact it had on the playing staff, there is no other possible decision that T+T could have made in my opinion. I do not see how any outsider could have come in and led the squad. It would have be like saying 'Edinburgh is gone, lets move on, I am in charge now'.

As for the interim title, this makes perfect sense to me. If it looks like it isn't working say by October/November, the Board can make a change at the top whilst still retaining some continuity below by them reverting them to their previous positions.

Sensible business-like decisions that are coming to be the hallmark of our Board.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Personally I’m not convinced.

In his short spell on charge we were awful and he’s a massive hot head.

Saying that, when he was in charge, the players were at an ultimate low and had no fight from Davis’ reign. He’s also young and has already said that he learnt so much from Justin in 18 months that I wouldn’t be surprised if he is a very different manager from then.

Interim is obviously to limit pressure and it’s no lose for Ross. If he excels he will get it permanently, and if he doesn’t he moves back to number two.

I think we’ll have a permanent, external manager before the end of November and after all that’s happened, our aim is mid table.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

The news gets worse every day. first the tragedy of the untimely death of JE, then Bonne going, now this seemingly ''Non Decision'' of appointing Ross as interim manager, now news of Koromas supposedly imminent departure. Looks like next season is going to be flat beer in comparison to the Champagne season we have just had.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

gshaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm Big mistake and the first mis-step by the board imo. Either put Ross in with full backing and title or don't do it at all. This just smacks of either having an external lined up to take over and it's just PR for the fans or an easy way out to sack that coaching team if they don't perform.

I have concerns about player recruitment with this situation, as a potential signing would you join a club with an unstable managerial situation?
Understand the concerns but Davis was a far bigger mistake
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

IMO, it's a mistake. At the moment, I felt we really did need a manager with experience but I hope Ross proves me wrong. Good luck Ross.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Link take on it

slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Unsurprising after Travis’ recent video, but pretty risky I’d say. Let’s hope it works out and everyone can handle the step up.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Good luck to all three. I don’t agree with the decision but they’ll have my 110% support
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Ross wearing the New Balance shirt (personally preferred the badge on the Nike shirts).

Perhaps a trivial issue but slightly dismayed that the Orient logo on Twitter has gone back to red from the greyed-out version, I feel it's still a bit too early and would have kept it on for another couple weeks. Still can't watch the Justin tribute video without tearing up. Having everyone there before games next season but not him will seem surreal to start with.