Michael Duff

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

MungOgogo
Fresh Alias

Michael Duff

Post by MungOgogo »

A Manager who had no experience .
Who was given the Job of Manager at the Mighty
Cheltenham Town on 10th September 2018

A Club that has allowed its Manager to build steadily
Not caving to Fan pressure .

He has a Tremendous record of 67 wins 38 draws 42 defeats
A win Percentage of 45.6

He led His club to its 1st ever automatic promotion from L2

Time for our Owners to see the Mistakes they have made
With regards to who they have listened to .
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Re: Michael Duff

Post by EastDerehamO »

Duff has done superbly.

There are never any guarantees with appointing a manager whether experienced or not, and everyone has to start sometime after all so at some point everyone is inexperienced. It’s never an exact science re appointing a manager though.

But I’d suggest that appointing one with experience and some success on their CV at the level the club is at gives a greater chance of success than one without experience, for that manager has proven he has the ability to get a club promoted; with an inexperienced manager it is an unknown factor. Just probability theory really.

Since our owners took over one of the two experienced managers appointed delivered promotion, all the inexperienced ones brought no success -
ok so the sample is too small to to be significant I admit but I'll mention it anyway.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

NONE of the three managers promoted from our division this season had experience or some success on their CV at League level. The sample is too small to to be significant I admit but I'll mention it anyway.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

You either got it or you ain’t
LittleRon
Fresh Alias

Post by LittleRon »

MrB wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:15 am You either got it or you ain’t
Well you have to be allowed to find out if you have it .
tap it in ron
Fresh Alias

Post by tap it in ron »

What did for Ross and Jobi was not the odd win or two, it was the turgid style of play. You can say that was the squad he inherited but I fully expect the likes of Vigeroux, DJ, Wilko, Brophy to do well next year - still hoping that will be in an O's shirt.

Last 8 games:
Walsall - 0 shots on target (1), 4 shots (7)
Cheltenham - 1 shot on target (2), 2 shots (10)
Harrogate - 4 shots on target (10), 11 shots (23)
Barrow - 3 shots on target (1), 10 shots (12)
Cambridge - 3 shots on target (7), 8 shots (18)
Southend - 4 shots on target (7), 14 shots (13)
Carlisle - 5 shots on target (7), 9 shots (23)
Salford - 3 shots on target (7), 7 shots (20)

opponents shots in ().

Totals: 65 shots v (126), 23 shots on target v (42). Nearly double the shots against us on both metrics. The only game that we had more shots than opposition was Southend - and the less we say about that game the better!

I think I was like many O's fans, hoping Jobi would be a success. I do believe even a few less points but a more progressive style of football would have seen Jobi get the full time gig, but alas it wasn't to be. Let's move on now and give the new manager (whoever it may be) our support. After the rollercoaster of the last few years I would happily take another season in the middle of the L2 pack, but they couldn't keep playing the way they were. Time will tell how good the squad was last year, I suspect a better group than the results Ross and Jobi achieved.

Up the O's!
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

EFL promotions

Warnock -8
Grayson,Evans -4
Cook, Adkins, Jacket-3 (not complete list)

Not a definitive list, but shows just how hard to even get up to 3.

There was a list on the other board that did the last 10 years promotions from league 2, not including this season. Staggering number with 1st job.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

LittleRon wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:36 am
Exactly
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

MrB wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:04 am
LittleRon wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:36 am
Exactly
Can't disagree, the only observation I'd make is the manager who has delivered promotion before you know has got it, one who hasn't remains an unknown quantity. But as said earlier it's not an exact science (and thank goodness)!
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

It helps when you have someone with a long throw who can lob it under the crossbar from virtually anywhere in the opposition half.
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

Congratulations to Cheltenham in winning League 2 this season. But, having said that, there are a couple of statistics that make interesting reading. Their points total of 82 was the joint lowest ever for a team winning the division in a 46 game season since 3 points for a win was introduced and only one team has managed to win the league by scoring less goals that the 61 they managed. I think that the standard of football in League 2 last year was pretty awful overall but, having said that, you can only beat what's in front of you.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ornchurch wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 am It helps when you have someone with a long throw who can lob it under the crossbar from virtually anywhere in the opposition half.
Damn them, playing to their strengths. How dare they!
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:57 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 am It helps when you have someone with a long throw who can lob it under the crossbar from virtually anywhere in the opposition half.
Damn them, playing to their strengths. How dare they!
Exactly. Have I said anything different?
LittleRon
Fresh Alias

Post by LittleRon »

Highwood Man wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:55 pm Congratulations to Cheltenham in winning League 2 this season. But, having said that, there are a couple of statistics that make interesting reading. Their points total of 82 was the joint lowest ever for a team winning the division in a 46 game season since 3 points for a win was introduced and only one team has managed to win the league by scoring less goals that the 61 they managed. I think that the standard of football in League 2 last year was pretty awful overall but, having said that, you can only beat what's in front of you.
During a Season with No fans at the grounds .
Man city will only get a maximum of 86 .Thats the lowest total in years
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:11 am NONE of the three managers promoted from our division this season had experience or some success on their CV at League level. The sample is too small to to be significant I admit but I'll mention it anyway.
If you look over the last 30 years and more,Almost every club promoted out of L2 has had a manager under 45 and in his first league job.
It all depends how the club is run.
Must admit, I find it hard to believe Jackett will have the enthusiasm to go to Barrow and Carlisle on a Tuesday night in November.
A bit of a gamble if you ask me.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Still wrong wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:29 pm
Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:11 am NONE of the three managers promoted from our division this season had experience or some success on their CV at League level. The sample is too small to to be significant I admit but I'll mention it anyway.
If you look over the last 30 years and more,Almost every club promoted out of L2 has had a manager under 45 and in his first league job.
It all depends how the club is run.
Must admit, I find it hard to believe Jackett will have the enthusiasm to go to Barrow and Carlisle on a Tuesday night in November.
A bit of a gamble if you ask me.
No ones asking you. You haven’t got a clue.