How?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

How?

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Of all the things we’ve mis-managed in recent years, I’d like to know how the f*** are Dean Brill, Matt Harold and Alex Lawless still on the payroll but we’ve said goodbye to Jobi McAnuff? Even Martins old mate Brian Saab has been found a role.

This should not be happening.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: How?

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Totally agree with this analysis.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

‘Family club’ aka jobs for your mates
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Giving jobs and work to your mates didn't do the tories any harm
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

If the owners can’t see what’s going on, then we will have no future.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

1) they are all excellent coaches who make us better
2) they are matey with Ling
3) they are cheap

I’ll let others decide what combination is true
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

I reckon wait until the new manager is announced - any first team coaches might not be feeling too secure in their roles after Teague said the next manager could pick their own staff.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

gshaw wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 pm I reckon wait until the new manager is announced - any first team coaches might not be feeling too secure in their roles after Teague said the next manager could pick their own staff.
Yeah, this exactly. The club talk about reviewing processes each season for continuous improvement purposes and no reason why they wouldn't do the same with the coaching staff. So as Teague the new guy may want to keep some on or clear decks. Better to do that all at the same time rather than a bit now and a bit later.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:20 pm 1) they are all excellent coaches who make us better
2) they are matey with Ling
3) they are cheap

I’ll let others decide what combination is true
As far as option 2 goes, I'm not so sure it was about them being matey with Ling but I think wanting to create an environment where there are opportunities for progression when your playing career ends and an indication that the club looks after former players well. The former being something commonly associated with the sort of businesses that Travis and Teague are used to working in that is not really that suited to football, and the latter no issue with this as long as the process includes assessing the capabilities of these guys against who else is available from elsewhere.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

It's worth bearing in mind the ownership are still relatively new and trusted Ling a lot initially whilst they got to grasps with things. They aren't getting the results they wanted and I imagine this will prompt them to re-evaluate how things are done. The last couple of seasons, with Edinburgh's death and covid, have been properly weird as well.

If we're still trying the same approach next season and it's not working, then I think it's fair to start questioning their approach. But given the financial commitment they've made, the level of engagement with what they are doing (as opposed to Hearn's 'the fans are idiots, I'm only interested in there's money to be made' approach') and the obvious passion they have, they warrant some patience.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

All else being equal, you absolutely should be promoting from within. But Ling has gone a step further and actually got rid of backroom staff to bring in his pals from outside.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

OyinbO wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:38 pm All else being equal, you absolutely should be promoting from within. But Ling has gone a step further and actually got rid of backroom staff to bring in his pals from outside.
Yeah, promote from within if they are the best or close to the best candidate for the job. I think we're too focused at present on rewarding past performance/loyalty when the key driver should be what they can offer moving forward, not what they have previously done.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:00 pm
OyinbO wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:38 pm All else being equal, you absolutely should be promoting from within. But Ling has gone a step further and actually got rid of backroom staff to bring in his pals from outside.
Yeah, promote from within if they are the best or close to the best candidate for the job. I think we're too focused at present on rewarding past performance/loyalty when the key driver should be what they can offer moving forward, not what they have previously done.
Your second sentence could easily be applied to Lingy himself.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

OyinbO wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:09 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:00 pm
Your second sentence could easily be applied to Lingy himself.
Yep, same goes for him too and suspect that's why we're looking for a manager now.
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

Hopefully, if we appoint a proper manager, he'll bring in a decent back-up team.

Ironically, if Jobi had given a poor interview for the manager's job, he'd still have a job.
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

Mistadobalina wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:49 am It's worth bearing in mind the ownership are still relatively new and trusted Ling a lot initially whilst they got to grasps with things. They aren't getting the results they wanted and I imagine this will prompt them to re-evaluate how things are done. The last couple of seasons, with Edinburgh's death and covid, have been properly weird as well.

If we're still trying the same approach next season and it's not working, then I think it's fair to start questioning their approach. But given the financial commitment they've made, the level of engagement with what they are doing (as opposed to Hearn's 'the fans are idiots, I'm only interested in there's money to be made' approach') and the obvious passion they have, they warrant some patience.
This. Don't really understand the criticism of the board/Ling. Sure some bad decisions have been made but overall we are heading in the right direction. This managerial appointment will be telling though.
Bottomley’s Ghost
Fresh Alias

Post by Bottomley’s Ghost »

Broadly agree, but worth remembering that Brill joined as a goalkeeping coach, not a player.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:05 pm Of all the things we’ve mis-managed in recent years, I’d like to know how the f*** are Dean Brill, Matt Harold and Alex Lawless still on the payroll but we’ve said goodbye to Jobi McAnuff? Even Martins old mate Brian Saab has been found a role.

This should not be happening.
Easily answered, as I’ve said before and actually know, jobs for the boys,it’s not what you know it’s who you know🙊
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Bottomley’s Ghost wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:54 am Broadly agree, but worth remembering that Brill joined as a goalkeeping coach, not a player.
Yes but was then assistant coach or something, before we sacked the new goalkeeping coach and gave brill that job back. Possibly.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Surely any new Manager will be bringing in his own assistant and maybe 1 coach, meaning that Senda, Brill, Harrold , Lawless could be moving on.
It’s vital we get the right man this time but don’t dither as the new Manager may even want to hang onto players that have been ‘released’ like Jamie Turley, who I would have kept.
One thing is also that I think Sotiriou is a bit fortunate to be kept on as a contracted player. I remember the club fought tooth and nail to get him to sign but when he’s played this season has been disappointing.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Cheshunto wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:49 am Surely any new Manager will be bringing in his own assistant and maybe 1 coach, meaning that Senda, Brill, Harrold , Lawless could be moving on.
It’s vital we get the right man this time but don’t dither as the new Manager may even want to hang onto players that have been ‘released’ like Jamie Turley, who I would have kept.
One thing is also that I think Sotiriou is a bit fortunate to be kept on as a contracted player. I remember the club fought tooth and nail to get him to sign but when he’s played this season has been disappointing.
When he’s played, he’s played on the left wing. He’s a striker.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater, the club needs some sort of stability. I’d keep Senda for the time being and if a new manager brings his assistant??? Senda could be moved sideways. Hasn’t Sotiriou been injured? Plus playing in a 433 may not suit him.🙊
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:48 am
Bottomley’s Ghost wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:54 am Broadly agree, but worth remembering that Brill joined as a goalkeeping coach, not a player.
Yes but was then assistant coach or something, before we sacked the new goalkeeping coach and gave brill that job back. Possibly.
Eh?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:02 am
Cheshunto wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:49 am Surely any new Manager will be bringing in his own assistant and maybe 1 coach, meaning that Senda, Brill, Harrold , Lawless could be moving on.
When he’s played, he’s played on the left wing. He’s a striker.
Correct.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Monkey Boy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:06 am Let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater, the club needs some sort of stability. I’d keep Senda for the time being and if a new manager brings his assistant??? Senda could be moved sideways. Hasn’t Sotiriou been injured? Plus playing in a 433 may not suit him.🙊
Agree about keeping Senda.
You are also you are correct about Sotiriou having been injured, but even when he did play, Embleton played him out of position on the left wing.