UK as seen from the Space Station

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

UK as seen from the Space Station

Post by Thor »

Morning all, today I awoke and took a look at the paper and apparently NASA has just released a picture taken of the UK from the space station back in February this year. The picture was taken by a Nikon D5 camera.

Now call my a cynic, but where is any of our major cities? Our country apparently is a tree covered jungle! The seas are Caribbean blue! I look at the Isle of White which has two forests yet the photo shows it also looking like one big forest. Taking it further we as a country seem to be virtually at the top of the globe yet any globe I’ve seen we are not, there’s plenty of space between us and the North Pole. Also in February there’s not much green around as it’s still winter.

My question is, is this picture fake or what? Are we being led a merry dance by NASA and the powers that be?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... nauts.html

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/18 ... 069374.jpg
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: UK as seen from the Space Station

Post by Real Al »

If you awoke to the Daily Mail, no wonder you're talking rubbish.

Just 10% of the UK is considered as 'urban'. This includes rural development and roads. However, over half of that is natural (e,g, parks, sports fields, allotments) and of the rest, gardens take up 18% and rivers, ponds, reservoirs etc. make up another 6.6%. In total just 2.27% of the UK is 'concreted over'.

It's green because it's February - in August it would be a lot more brown.

As for your comment about the globe...
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

There is a lot more greenery in this country than some people (especially the Greens/environmentalist) would have us believe, especially in London. As someone who flies at least monthly over parts of the UK, I've seen it. It is not the concrete covered place some maintain it is.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Real Al wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:36 am If you awoke to the Daily Mail, no wonder you're talking rubbish.
:D
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Thor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:53 am Morning all, today I awoke and took a look at the paper and apparently NASA has just released a picture taken of the UK from the space station back in February this year. The picture was taken by a Nikon D5 camera.

Now call my a cynic, but where is any of our major cities? Our country apparently is a tree covered jungle! The seas are Caribbean blue! I look at the Isle of White which has two forests yet the photo shows it also looking like one big forest. Taking it further we as a country seem to be virtually at the top of the globe yet any globe I’ve seen we are not, there’s plenty of space between us and the North Pole. Also in February there’s not much green around as it’s still winter.

My question is, is this picture fake or what? Are we being led a merry dance by NASA and the powers that be?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... nauts.html

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/18 ... 069374.jpg
I don’t think we should be calling you a cynic.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

When you look at a photograph of the Earth, taken "from the moon" - it's all just blue and white. You can't see any cars at all.

Now, call me a cynic, but I have a red car, and you can't see any red cars on such photographs, so I wonder whether they've even been to the moon. And another thing, there's these shadows.......zzzzzz
Baddo
Fresh Alias

Post by Baddo »

Thor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:53 am Taking it further we as a country seem to be virtually at the top of the globe yet any globe I’ve seen we are not, there’s plenty of space between us and the North Pole.

:lol:
Brilliant.