Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Long slender neck »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 pm Can someone please confirm:

The risks of blood clots are the same in everyone regardless of their age. It's just that the benefit from the vaccination are greater in those over 30, so it's worth taking the risk.

Is that correct?
Wrong.

From what I've read, higher risk of clot in the young due to stronger immune response. This is why there were more cases in Europe than here as we have been jabbing olds first and Europe hasn't.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

It could just be all the other vaccine companies not wanting AZ to have
all the glory & Future profits from Future covids .
Pfizer while more expensive seemed to got to the oldest in the sorld .
AZ will be more the.masses in the 30-65s .
The others will scrap for the under 30s & everyone else .

Maybe it just is all political after all.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:37 pm

The risks of blood clots are the same in everyone regardless of their age. It's just that the benefit from the vaccination are greater in those over 30, so it's worth taking the risk.

Is that correct?
Wrong.

From what I've read, higher risk of clot in the young due to stronger immune response. This is why there were more cases in Europe than here as we have been jabbing olds first and Europe hasn't.
Europe has been vaccinating olds as well as youngs . The youngs being key workers
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:37 pm

Is that correct?
Wrong.

So it’s the Young’s with the strong immune systems that have been getting the clots?

Not sure that makes me any more comfortable but thanks for clarifying.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I’m not under 30 but as it stands there’s no way I’ll be getting AZ. Doesn’t sound like I’ll be offered anything else though
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

What are the odds of dying from AZ side effects vs odds of dying of Covid?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I’m just over 30 too but don’t think of myself as anymore at risk as an under 30.

See what happens if/when I get called.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dunners wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 am What are the odds of dying from AZ side effects vs odds of dying of Covid?
For someone young and in perfect health like my good self, the odds of dying from Covid are practically nil.

There is a risk of dying from the AZ jab, they’re now telling us.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

:D
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dunners wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 am What are the odds of dying from AZ side effects vs odds of dying of Covid?
Van Tam did a presentation yesterday saying the mortality risk ratio is only marginally not worth it for people in their 20s if covid is next to non existent in society. Will admit as someone who's just left that age category, not exactly full of confidence about that vaccine being the one I get. But the more people avoid getting vaccinated, the higher the risk that covid sticks around and there's a much higher chance of dying/long covid than getting this extremely rare side effect.

Have read that the risk for women getting blood clots from birth control is apparently higher than from this vaccine.

People are terrible at assessing risk, will always err towards the negative choice even if the actual risk of that is statistically much higher.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

The arse coveringification of Western governments
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Mistadobalina wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:38 pm
Van Tam did a presentation yesterday saying the mortality risk ratio is only marginally not worth it for people in their 20s if covid is next to non existent in society. Will admit as someone who's just left that age category, not exactly full of confidence about that vaccine being the one I get. But the more people avoid getting vaccinated, the higher the risk that covid sticks around and there's a much higher chance of dying/long covid than getting this extremely rare side effect.

Have read that the risk for women getting blood clots from birth control is apparently higher than from this vaccine.

People are terrible at assessing risk, will always err towards the negative choice even if the actual risk of that is statistically much higher.
A very good point.

If Covid 19 gets to stick around for ages because not enough of the world population get vaccinated - and that can be for any reason, btw, concerns over side effects, Vaccine nationalism, European governments scaremongering to cover their terrible procurement, poorer countries being unable to afford to get in on it, etc etc - then the greater the chance that it can evolve and mutate - perhaps into a strain that's more dangerous to groups currently less affected, or to a strain that's resistant to vaccine etc.

As you say, we're very bad as assessing risk where it relates to ourselves even in isolation, let alone where it relates to ourselves as part of the whole population - so we're unlikely to make wise decisions.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:38 am
For someone young and in perfect health like my good self, the odds of dying from Covid are practically nil.

There is a risk of dying from the AZ jab, they’re now telling us.
Blimey, you're sounding more like Thor every day!
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Situation in Latin America is incredibly sad. There simply isn't the money there to lockdown when needed and obviously in the example of Brazil, they are led by an actual psychopath. Have friends in Mexico (also has a nutter in charge) who've described scenes of people dropping dead on the street from it as the hospitals are all full.

Those stats underline just how badly this government has handled the pandemic. The only countries doing worse, save for a couple of southern European countries, are developing economies.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Worse but only slightly worse than our peers.

The vaccine gamble looks like it paid off.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Noticed infection rates up for a few days in a row. Probably doesn’t mean much and to be expected as lockdown eases.

Do worry though, mate of mine works in the city went back to the office today. Was outside the pub with workmates from 1pm, dinner somewhere at 5pm and drinks after, in between spending time with them in the office. Seems like a recipe for disaster in the age groups not vaccinated but hopefully the impact is low...
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 pm Noticed infection rates up for a few days in a row. Probably doesn’t mean much and to be expected as lockdown eases.

Do worry though, mate of mine works in the city went back to the office today. Was outside the pub with workmates from 1pm, dinner somewhere at 5pm and drinks after, in between spending time with them in the office. Seems like a recipe for disaster in the age groups not vaccinated but hopefully the impact is low...
You sound jealous
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:56 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 pm Noticed infection rates up for a few days in a row. Probably doesn’t mean much and to be expected as lockdown eases.

You sound jealous
Damn, could you tell?

Was sending me pics of a gorgeous looking Guinness, oysters, all sorts
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

The restrictions were only lifted Monday any increase in cases due to lockdown being relaxed would not happen for a few days.

Percentage of tests proving negative last seven days 2up to 13/4

2763 cases 0.29%
3039 Cases 0.34%
3150 cases 0.38%
2589 cases 0.36%
1730 cases 0.29%
3568 cases 0.28%
2472 cases 0.37%

Absolutely no indication of a rise at all and overall in the 7 day period to 14/4 infections down another 11.5% on the previous seven days.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Can see why there's talk of a 3rd wave now

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

96% of white British people over 60 years old have been vaccinated?

I find that figure staggering.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:20 am Can see why there's talk of a 3rd wave now

🎣

I’ll bite a bit though. Might as well have the heading ‘percentage of people, based on ethnicity, who feel like they can’t trust the government through lived experience’
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 am
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:20 am Can see why there's talk of a 3rd wave now

🎣

I’ll bite a bit though. Might as well have the heading ‘percentage of people, based on ethnicity, who feel like they can’t trust the government through lived experience’
Well, that suggestion for a heading would imply 69% of black over 60's trust the Tory government then

Interesting take.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

GOD DAMN IT