Jobi McAnuff appointed interim Head coach

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Jobi McAnuff appointed interim Head coach

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Cheshunto wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:33 pm Are we to assume that we’ll lose Jobi as a player as from Tuesday v Grimsby ?!
It will be a shame if so as Jobi has been one of our best players this season.
If we can reach the play offs then I guess Jobi will get the gig beyond this season, let’s hope that the players are behind him and we see something different on Tuesday at Grimsby.
He has been below standard for some while now. I expect him to stand down at least initially, Freeman is the obvious replacement.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:29 pm Mixed emotion from me.

Love Jobi and everything he’s done on the pitch. I also love the journey. Who’d have thought he’d get here after the awful abuse he got in his first spell at the club? Think that shows what he’s about, would have been easy to never come back but had a point to prove. Would absolutely love him succeed.

On the other hand, if I’m against Ross, then in principle I should probably be against Jobi. The truth is that I don’t really GET it. Someone even more inexperienced than Ross. He definitely has more about him but is he what we need, right now?

Let’s face it, he can’t do much worse than the last ten games so will no doubt finish the season in a positive way. At least he has the respect of all Orient fans and I’d imagine all of the players, something I’m not sure Ross could boast.

Time will tell. I would have liked a proper experienced manager who makes us all excited and who could guide us to promotion but I’m interested to see how Jobi approaches this and what changes.
This management lark really ain’t complicated. The best managers we’ve had in the last few years - Russell and Justin - weren’t geniuses. Of course they know the game but neither went overboard on the tactical side. They were just big, likeable characters that could communicate. The players understood what they had to do and wanted to do it for their boss.

Jobi has all of that.
Yeah that’s a fair shout. Agree as well. Jobi is also probably the most intelligent fella to manage us since I started going in 1993 as well.
When did he take an IQ test to convince you all of his genius?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

OyinbO wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:43 pm

Love Jobi and everything he’s done on the pitch. I also love the journey. Who’d have thought he’d get here after the awful abuse he got in his first spell at the club? Think that shows what he’s about, would have been easy to never come back but had a point to prove. Would absolutely love him succeed.

On the other hand, if I’m against Ross, then in principle I should probably be against Jobi. The truth is that I don’t really GET it. Someone even more inexperienced than Ross. He definitely has more about him but is he what we need, right now?

Let’s face it, he can’t do much worse than the last ten games so will no doubt finish the season in a positive way. At least he has the respect of all Orient fans and I’d imagine all of the players, something I’m not sure Ross could boast.

Time will tell. I would have liked a proper experienced manager who makes us all excited and who could guide us to promotion but I’m interested to see how Jobi approaches this and what changes.
His journey is just beginning dude. Those that are whining we haven’t gone for someone with more experience may one day come to reflect that we wouldn’t have been able to get Jobi as a successful 45yo manager with promotions etc already under his belt.
How did we get JE in the division below then?
Exiled O
Fresh Alias

Post by Exiled O »

I'm looking forward to seeing what Jobi will do. He's clearly a bright guy and I think he's got the gravitas to impose his authority. Godd luck Jobi.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:07 pm

His journey is just beginning dude. Those that are whining we haven’t gone for someone with more experience may one day come to reflect that we wouldn’t have been able to get Jobi as a successful 45yo manager with promotions etc already under his belt.
I think it’s somewhere in the middle. We’ve gone down the inexperienced route twice and now this will be the third time. I don’t doubt that Jobi will be a good manager one day but the fact he’s been part of successive coaching setups that have failed at the club doesn’t sit well with how the board came to this decision; especially as ‘continuity’ has been specifically been mentioned as a reason. He’s still a player (who has been at the club a fair while), whether he carries on playing or not is irrelevant, it’s extremely difficult to go from mate and captain to manager, I can’t think of any examples of when a player has taken over and it’s gone well.
I give you Kenny Dalgliesh.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

Appointing a manager with a CV which includes some success, e.g a promotion, I’d suggest would give a club a better chance than by appointing a manager without success (or indeed any experience), as it feels like basic probability theory to me. But there are of course no guarantees either way, it’s not such an exact science thankfully.

So while I would rather we’d gone down the ‘experience with some success’ route, which worked so well for us with JE, I consider Jobi has all the credentials to give himself a chance of making a decent manager one day, and gut instinct is I’d rather have him than RE. I wish Jobi well and he has my support. He needs to be given time and will be by the owners, and we all need to give him that too.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Thor wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:54 am

I think it’s somewhere in the middle. We’ve gone down the inexperienced route twice and now this will be the third time. I don’t doubt that Jobi will be a good manager one day but the fact he’s been part of successive coaching setups that have failed at the club doesn’t sit well with how the board came to this decision; especially as ‘continuity’ has been specifically been mentioned as a reason. He’s still a player (who has been at the club a fair while), whether he carries on playing or not is irrelevant, it’s extremely difficult to go from mate and captain to manager, I can’t think of any examples of when a player has taken over and it’s gone well.
Any others?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:26 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 pm

This management lark really ain’t complicated. The best managers we’ve had in the last few years - Russell and Justin - weren’t geniuses. Of course they know the game but neither went overboard on the tactical side. They were just big, likeable characters that could communicate. The players understood what they had to do and wanted to do it for their boss.

Jobi has all of that.
Yeah that’s a fair shout. Agree as well. Jobi is also probably the most intelligent fella to manage us since I started going in 1993 as well.
When did he take an IQ test to convince you all of his genius?
I think genius is the wrong word when discussing Orient managers.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:50 am
Any others?
Graham Souness - Rangers
Gianluca Vialli- Chelsea
Rudd Gullit - Chelsea
Alan Curbishley - Charlton
Dennis Wise - Milwall They won the FA Cup with him
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Story of O wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 am

Any others?
Graham Souness - Rangers
Gianluca Vialli- Chelsea
Rudd Gullit - Chelsea
They definitely didn’t, they lost 3-0. I was there.

Cheers, some of those I completely forgot. Souness was signed as a player/manager though.
WilliamTell
Fresh Alias

Post by WilliamTell »

Anyone think Jobi will recall Judd and/or Maguire-Drew from their loans? If Jobi does not get the job then the new manager will only have five players in contract so no chance of assessing those he wants to keep. Everyone else is out of contract including Martin Ling.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

WilliamTell wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:35 am Anyone think Jobi will recall Judd and/or Maguire-Drew from their loans? If Jobi does not get the job then the new manager will only have five players in contract so no chance of assessing those he wants to keep. Everyone else is out of contract including Martin Ling.
Judd's loan ended at the weekend; guess we will find out in the next few days whether it is to be extended.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:29 am
Story of O wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 am
Any others?
Graham Souness - Rangers
Gianluca Vialli- Chelsea
Rudd Gullit - Chelsea
They definitely didn’t, they lost 3-0. I was there.

Cheers, some of those I completely forgot. Souness was signed as a player/manager though.
Silly me, I was thinking of Portsmouth
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Don’t think Maguire-Drew will be recalled shame as he is the best crosser of a ball the club has if played out wide. I would like to see Louis Dennis played out wide left so he could cut in.He seems to be the forgotten man at the club.
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Yeah, in a way it’s the easy option - he’s here, knows the squad and is respected. I’d like to think that Jobi will be in charge until a permanent appointment is made some time after the end of the season, because I doubt there’s anyone decent who’s available right now - any manager with the abilities we want will be in a job and gearing up for the final part of the season. No club is going to want to let a good manager go at this time and so anyone available will probably be unemployed. It makes sense to hold on until we can get someone experienced in, but I understand the disappointment of some people. Personally I don’t think Jobi is ready yet and I’m always worried about having a proper club hero in charge, because I really wouldn’t want to be finding myself calling for Jobi’s head if it all goes wrong. But I can see why they’ve done it. Let’s give it a few games before we all lose out sh*t please. I mean, he can hardly be worse than what we’ve had this season?
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Yes you are correct in mostly what your saying however as I stated before in a previous post Ling is the problem unfortunately.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Stowaway wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:07 am Yeah, in a way it’s the easy option - he’s here, knows the squad and is respected. I’d like to think that Jobi will be in charge until a permanent appointment is made some time after the end of the season, because I doubt there’s anyone decent who’s available right now - any manager with the abilities we want will be in a job and gearing up for the final part of the season. No club is going to want to let a good manager go at this time and so anyone available will probably be unemployed. It makes sense to hold on until we can get someone experienced in, but I understand the disappointment of some people. Personally I don’t think Jobi is ready yet and I’m always worried about having a proper club hero in charge, because I really wouldn’t want to be finding myself calling for Jobi’s head if it all goes wrong. But I can see why they’ve done it. Let’s give it a few games before we all lose out sh*t please. I mean, he can hardly be worse than what we’ve had this season?
Very sensible summary imho, I would only differ on one point in that I think there are a few decent managerial candidates with experience available at the moment who the Board could have approached rather than taking the in-house route.
I hope the Board is able to gauge the situation with complete impartiality at the end of the season. If there has been a significant upturn in performance/ results ,fair enough but if there hasn’t hopefully they will be willing to look elsewhere for someone to take the club forward.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

No surprise it’s another internal step-up for a rookie. It’s how FFS Ling! got the gaffer’s gig all those years ago, so you’d expect him to be in favour of it. And that worked out quite well for a few years, didn’t it?

The owners aren’t stupid. They realise L2 is a bit iffy this season so it’s an unexpected opportunity to sneak a play-offs promotion with this squad still (just).

Jobi seems like he might have the skill set to be a decent manager and have the respect of the players too, so let’s hope it works out for him/us.
Type high
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Type high »

Jimmy Bloomfield
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

slacker wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:08 pm No surprise it’s another internal step-up for a rookie. It’s how FFS Ling! got the gaffer’s gig all those years ago, so you’d expect him to be in favour of it. And that worked out quite well for a few years, didn’t it?

The owners aren’t stupid. They realise L2 is a bit iffy this season so it’s an unexpected opportunity to sneak a play-offs promotion with this squad still (just).

Jobi seems like he might have the skill set to be a decent manager and have the respect of the players too, so let’s hope it works out for him/us.
It is a very big surprise, for lots of people, as you can see from the reaction here and on Twitter. Of course, we're already busily re-writing our memories, a process that will only accelerate if we win tomorrow.

Ling had very little to do with this, by the way. His continued presence at the Club is hanging by a very delicate thread.

PS remember when Ling got let go last time? Such was the desire for a clean break at that time that he was required to take his assistant with him, breaking a chain of assistant replacing incumbent which had gone back some years. And the assistant that went alongside Ling was one that has gone on to do great things...
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Top 20 most successful players-turned-managers of all time ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -time.html
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

I'm happy to let Jobi have the rest of this season to show what he can do. It's a no-lose situation for him.

He cuts his managerial teeth with us, and if he smashes it he gets the chance next season (unless he REALLY smashes it, and then gets an offer from a bigger team) or he guides the team to respectable finish in or around the play offs, and he can fall back on his media work.

It will be a shame (but understandable) if he doesn't play himself as he's been one of our most consistent performers this season.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

o-no wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:59 pm I'm happy to let Jobi have the rest of this season to show what he can do. It's a no-lose situation for him.

He cuts his managerial teeth with us, and if he smashes it he gets the chance next season (unless he REALLY smashes it, and then gets an offer from a bigger team) or he guides the team to respectable finish in or around the play offs, and he can fall back on his media work.

It will be a shame (but understandable) if he doesn't play himself as he's been one of our most consistent performers this season.
Im happy with it, with Danny Senda as Jobi's no 2 could be good set up, so see how it goes.
Fanny
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fanny »

Shouldn’t Jobi be focussing his attention to playing?
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

Eat The Rich wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:23 pm Reasonably happy with that. Let's see what he can do for the rest of the season. He's well like, well respected and has an aura of authority about him. Does he know how to get this team firing? We're about to see.
“Does he know how to get the team firing ?”

We’ll find out tomorrow