Jobi McAnuff appointed interim Head coach

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Jobi McAnuff appointed interim Head coach

Post by Sid Bishop »

Still wrong wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:52 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:16 pm
gshaw wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 pm Hmmmm, on one hand another amateur and the cosy setup continues. On the other hoping that it means definitely a temporary appointment as I doubt he'll want to let the media work go.

More of a natural leader than Embleton personality-wise so that's at least one promising factor. Whether he'll stand up to Ling remains to be seen. Makes the Tuesday away stream worth watching just to see what playing style changes he implements.
Will be interesting as to how this works out and also different what system Jobi will employ.
Wonder if Jobi will play, put himself on the bench, or even in the stands, interesting times and dare I say it, if a run of good form follows, still not too late to get into the play offs.
I don’t think there is a cat in hells chance of the playoffs Sid.
We will be looking at about 11 wins from 16 games, blimey its not realistic.
Although Comical Tuffers will argue that it is just for a bite.
Yes a very tough ask but NOT entirely impossible at 8 points behind the play off zone and still 16 games to play....

Quote ''"Jobi is a natural leader and someone we feel has got what it takes to make a top class manager," chairman Nigel Travis told the club website. "As a club we feel that the play-offs are still within reach for this season and we have made that clear to Jobi, who understands and agrees with us that it should remain our focus and target.'' "His appointment gives us a degree of continuity but also a fresh approach for the final third of the season."
The O's are 14th in the table, eight points off the play-off places with 16 games still to play.
McAnuff will be assisted by Orient's existing coaching staff of Danny Senda, Dean Brill and Matt Harrold.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56231484
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

BoniO wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:37 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:56 pm
Thor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:21 pm People need to go wobble their heads. Twitter is in meltdown over this appointment. I'd love to have 25% of his career and experiences which would stand me in good stead to be in with a chance of being successfull in this role. Who did they expect Pep? Kopp?

The man has all the attributes to be a success in the role. At least give him the chance to succeed or fail by the decisions he makes.

I'm behind him 100% and I think he will surprise quite a few people on here, on twitter and elsewhere about his capabilities.
No one expects Klopp or Pep, they just expect to not be lied to when they say they have a long list of people they’d consider for the job but go with a man who has been part of multiple coaching set ups that have failed at this club.

This appointment is all down to saving money and it being a no lose situation.

I hope Jobi does well but I want the club to stop treating the fans like idiots.
Don't you think you're being just a little bit precious mate? Would you like them to consult you before their every decision?
No
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

does anyone believe he is an improvement to what we had
not in my book.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Are we missing the point? Ling has already negotiated with players and has drawn up a list a list for next season. Would you as a new manager be happy about that? Wouldn’t you want to bring in your own players. His successful transfer rate must be 50% at best. Simply not good enough for a club this size. Most players are out of contract this season and it would be an ideal time to bring in a proven manager at very little cost.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Alright guys, how long do we give him before the uber sharks start circling. (Tounge in cheek of course).
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I'm disappointed, but I'll give him a decent chance. Let's face it football management is not rocket science, it's just about getting 11 men to play out your vision. Get them on board and happy and you should have some success.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:35 pm Are we missing the point? Ling has already negotiated with players and has drawn up a list a list for next season. Would you as a new manager be happy about that? Wouldn’t you want to bring in your own players. His successful transfer rate must be 50% at best. Simply not good enough for a club this size. Most players are out of contract this season and it would be an ideal time to bring in a proven manager at very little cost.
Maybe he was already on the transfer committee? Which signings are you unhappy with?
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

I see Jobi’s title is MANAGER not HEAD COACH.
I like him already.
He clearly has demanded full control and final say on all players signed.
Might have explained the delay.
This bloke is a serious appointment.
No more bo.....ks about not having the players to play my favoured formation.
Might last no longer than Fletcher though 😉
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Mixed emotion from me.

Love Jobi and everything he’s done on the pitch. I also love the journey. Who’d have thought he’d get here after the awful abuse he got in his first spell at the club? Think that shows what he’s about, would have been easy to never come back but had a point to prove. Would absolutely love him succeed.

On the other hand, if I’m against Ross, then in principle I should probably be against Jobi. The truth is that I don’t really GET it. Someone even more inexperienced than Ross. He definitely has more about him but is he what we need, right now?

Let’s face it, he can’t do much worse than the last ten games so will no doubt finish the season in a positive way. At least he has the respect of all Orient fans and I’d imagine all of the players, something I’m not sure Ross could boast.

Time will tell. I would have liked a proper experienced manager who makes us all excited and who could guide us to promotion but I’m interested to see how Jobi approaches this and what changes.
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the Board are so confident with their choice then we should beat bottom of the table Grimsby on Tuesday, it's as simple as that.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I’m hoping he takes the same approach to ling as Justin did. If he does that he will maximise his chances of being a success.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:29 pm Mixed emotion from me.

Love Jobi and everything he’s done on the pitch. I also love the journey. Who’d have thought he’d get here after the awful abuse he got in his first spell at the club? Think that shows what he’s about, would have been easy to never come back but had a point to prove. Would absolutely love him succeed.

On the other hand, if I’m against Ross, then in principle I should probably be against Jobi. The truth is that I don’t really GET it. Someone even more inexperienced than Ross. He definitely has more about him but is he what we need, right now?

Let’s face it, he can’t do much worse than the last ten games so will no doubt finish the season in a positive way. At least he has the respect of all Orient fans and I’d imagine all of the players, something I’m not sure Ross could boast.

Time will tell. I would have liked a proper experienced manager who makes us all excited and who could guide us to promotion but I’m interested to see how Jobi approaches this and what changes.
This management lark really ain’t complicated. The best managers we’ve had in the last few years - Russell and Justin - weren’t geniuses. Of course they know the game but neither went overboard on the tactical side. They were just big, likeable characters that could communicate. The players understood what they had to do and wanted to do it for their boss.

Jobi has all of that.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Can you imagine on a Monday morning when Russ, or Justin, or Jobi rock up to the training ground. Everyone takes notice of their arrival. Same when they turn up to the ground on match days and joke with the admin staff, or walk into the boardroom to meet with Martin and T&T.

Ross never had that.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Thor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:56 pm I’m hoping he takes the same approach to ling as Justin did. If he does that he will maximise his chances of being a success.
That’s the way I see it.
He must be he’s own man and that means the team plays in the style he wants, and has the final say on all signings.
No backseat drivers.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

The fact it’s been announced as interim MANAGER tells you everything.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:11 pm The fact it’s been announced as interim MANAGER tells you everything.
Yep, brilliant.
Looks like he has set his stall out before taking the job on.
This is what a man who has confidence in he’s own ability should do.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 pm

This management lark really ain’t complicated. The best managers we’ve had in the last few years - Russell and Justin - weren’t geniuses. Of course they know the game but neither went overboard on the tactical side. They were just big, likeable characters that could communicate. The players understood what they had to do and wanted to do it for their boss.

Jobi has all of that.
Yeah that’s a fair shout. Agree as well. Jobi is also probably the most intelligent fella to manage us since I started going in 1993 as well.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Quite happy with this. I still think he should bring in an experienced assistant.

COME ON JOBI!!!!
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

His journey is just beginning dude. Those that are whining we haven’t gone for someone with more experience may one day come to reflect that we wouldn’t have been able to get Jobi as a successful 45yo manager with promotions etc already under his belt.
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

None of us can possibly know how this is going to work out. But Jobi has had a long career in football and comes across very well so I'm hoping that he is going to be able to turn things around and get us to play some decent football over the course of the next 16 games.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

I may be wrong but I have a feeling McAnuff may turn out to be ok. As for experience I think he’s got more than Embleton had,although not as many coaching badges. Think the first thing you will see is a change of formation,the team is crying out for 442 or something similar,yes I know it may be old school but you have to stop the rot and I think that will be Jobi’s first job even if it results in a draw.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Are we to assume that we’ll lose Jobi as a player as from Tuesday v Grimsby ?!
It will be a shame if so as Jobi has been one of our best players this season.
If we can reach the play offs then I guess Jobi will get the gig beyond this season, let’s hope that the players are behind him and we see something different on Tuesday at Grimsby.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

My guess he won’t be playing on Tuesday night.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

OyinbO wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:43 pm

His journey is just beginning dude. Those that are whining we haven’t gone for someone with more experience may one day come to reflect that we wouldn’t have been able to get Jobi as a successful 45yo manager with promotions etc already under his belt.
I think it’s somewhere in the middle. We’ve gone down the inexperienced route twice and now this will be the third time. I don’t doubt that Jobi will be a good manager one day but the fact he’s been part of successive coaching setups that have failed at the club doesn’t sit well with how the board came to this decision; especially as ‘continuity’ has been specifically been mentioned as a reason. He’s still a player (who has been at the club a fair while), whether he carries on playing or not is irrelevant, it’s extremely difficult to go from mate and captain to manager, I can’t think of any examples of when a player has taken over and it’s gone well.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Thor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:56 pm I’m hoping he takes the same approach to ling as Justin did. If he does that he will maximise his chances of being a success.
What approach was that? Insist on signing his offspring?