Jobi McAnuff appointed interim Head coach

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Jobi McAnuff appointed interim Head coach

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Thor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:21 pm People need to go wobble their heads. Twitter is in meltdown over this appointment. I'd love to have 25% of his career and experiences which would stand me in good stead to be in with a chance of being successfull in this role. Who did they expect Pep? Kopp?

The man has all the attributes to be a success in the role. At least give him the chance to succeed or fail by the decisions he makes.

I'm behind him 100% and I think he will surprise quite a few people on here, on twitter and elsewhere about his capabilities.
Orient have a number of fans who aren't happy or satisfied at anything we do. Travis could deliver the moon on a stick and still people would say "But I wanted Jupiter'"
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

The good news is that Sam Ling is unlikely to get his place back. Jobi has spent all season looking at him and then doing everything he can to pass it in the opposite direction.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Beradogs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:29 pm The good news is that Sam Ling is unlikely to get his place back. Jobi has spent all season looking at him and then doing everything he can to pass it in the opposite direction.
I remember that overlapping run Ling made, McAnuff looked, thought about it and decided to take on the cross himself 😆 Hoping Turley gets the nod, he deserves his chance and is a real nuisance to the opposition at set pieces as we saw from his cameo on Saturday.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

For goodness sake . You all blame Ross for the position we are in. He’s given the sack (which I wanted some time ago) and then you are slating the new appointment before playing a single game. It’s only an INTERIM appointment . Let’s all get behind Jobi
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

BIGRON wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:34 pm I'm totally underwhelmed by this appointment , saying that Jobi will get my backing like any other manager has .
I have to agree. The Board seem to have either not learnt the lessons of the last 18 months or chosen to ignore them.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Beradogs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:29 pm The good news is that Sam Ling is unlikely to get his place back. Jobi has spent all season looking at him and then doing everything he can to pass it in the opposite direction.
That’s excellent news, hopefully Ling Snr won’t try to bully Jobi into playing Son Of DOF.

I wish Jobi all the luck in the World, he will need it.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Well that was predictable.

Not seeing what others see in him. Isn't he too much of a nice guy? Will he touch his face in interviews?
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

To those who think inexperience is a problem.

Orient have wom 6 promotions.
Alex Stock - managed non league only prior to appointment (3 years including player manager).
Jonny Carey - Experienced manager - previously with Everton and managed Rep of Ireland.
Jimmy Broomfield- first job
Frank Clark - first sole management role.
Marrin Ling - first management role.
Justin Edinburgh - Experienced manager.

3 Rookies, 1 from non league and 2 experienced.

So those who argue that you want an experianced manager, on current stats only a 33% chance of them getting us promoted, on past performance.

I wish Jobi the very best of luck.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Ling is in charge end of. Until he goes the Orient will always be the same. The club missed the chance when they failed to get Derek Adams.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:19 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:41 pm
Going by the statement, he’s basically been told ‘get us into the playoffs and the job is yours’.
Does he even want the job long term ? I thought people was saying he wanted to do some media work . So he's caretaker manager until we sign somebody permanent . ? It'll be interesting to see what happens if Jobi does well.
MCANUFF DIDN'T WANT THE JOB - LING FORCED HIM TO TAKE IT!

Of course it's up to McAnuff as well. He may not want to take the job permanently in the summer for various reasons. He has different options now and will have different options in the summer.
How do you know Jobi did not want the job. It’s rubbish to say Ling forced him to take it. Jobi comes across as a very intelligent man and he would not take the job if he could not make a success of it . Don’t forget he could be ruining his ability to manage in the future.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:40 pm To those who think inexperience is a problem.

Alex Stock - managed non league only prior to appointment (3 years including player manager).
Jonny Carey - Experienced manager - previously with Everton and managed Rep of Ireland.

So those who argue that you want an experianced manager, on current stats only a 33% chance of them getting us promoted, on past performance.

I want things to work out for McAnuff. But if you want to talk stats why have you restricted that sample to just Orient appointments? The base is far too low to draw conclusions from. Would be interested in hearing what it is from a wider football perspective though.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:45 pm
Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:40 pm To those who think inexperience is a problem.

I want things to work out for McAnuff. But if you want to talk stats why have you restricted that sample to just Orient appointments? The base is far too low to draw conclusions from. Would be interested in hearing what it is from a wider football perspective though.
I am only interested in Orient and those are the only managers to get us promoted.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

This appointment ain't gonna encourage me to fork out £10 to watch 'em. Maybe, if I am proved wrong and they manage to pull together 5 wins on the trot by a reasonable margin ( Justin Edinburgh could have achieved that, with this squad ). But this is just the El Cheapo appointment, that perhaps could work, but maybe in time could be a disaster. Jobi is an unknown quantity in the field of management and is a big two fingered salute to the fans. At this moment in time I feel the Club ain't going anywhere. And, if he knocks together a little run of success, this often happens. Time will tell. This appointment tells me Orient are shopping in the Bargain Basement. Sometimes you get a bargain, often it is faulty goods. Better paint a few more walls for now!
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:52 pm

I am only interested in Orient and those are the only managers to get us promoted.
But it's a nonsense to claim you can draw any conclusions from a base of 6 :lol:
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Thor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:21 pm People need to go wobble their heads. Twitter is in meltdown over this appointment. I'd love to have 25% of his career and experiences which would stand me in good stead to be in with a chance of being successfull in this role. Who did they expect Pep? Kopp?

The man has all the attributes to be a success in the role. At least give him the chance to succeed or fail by the decisions he makes.

I'm behind him 100% and I think he will surprise quite a few people on here, on twitter and elsewhere about his capabilities.
No one expects Klopp or Pep, they just expect to not be lied to when they say they have a long list of people they’d consider for the job but go with a man who has been part of multiple coaching set ups that have failed at this club.

This appointment is all down to saving money and it being a no lose situation.

I hope Jobi does well but I want the club to stop treating the fans like idiots.
Orient Punxx
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Orient Punxx »

Happy about this - very impressed in how this has been managed by all.

Good luck to Ross - top bloke for sure.

Up the Os.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

He is a very experienced player, played in five leagues, been in the game for around 20+ years, is intelligent and articulate.... What's not to like?
My only 2 concerns are, he's been playing under Ross, for a long while, and, 2, he was one of the lads, and now has to command respect... Not an easy one in any trade.
I like the man a lot and wish him good luck
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Great news.

Looking forward to Tuesday night now.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:29 pm He is a very experienced player, played in five leagues, been in the game for around 20+ years, is intelligent and articulate.... What's not to like?
My only 2 concerns are, he's been playing under Ross, for a long while, and, 2, he was one of the lads, and now has to command respect... Not an easy one in any trade.
He already commands respect from the other players.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Don't understand what the fuss is about here. We aren't going up and relegation extremely unlikely, so this is as close to a free hit as there is. Why not give Jobi a chance to see whether he is up to it?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:31 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:29 pm He is a very experienced player, played in five leagues, been in the game for around 20+ years, is intelligent and articulate.... What's not to like?
He already commands respect from the other players.
No way you could know that.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:56 pm

No one expects Klopp or Pep, they just expect to not be lied to when they say they have a long list of people they’d consider for the job but go with a man who has been part of multiple coaching set ups that have failed at this club.

This appointment is all down to saving money and it being a no lose situation.

I hope Jobi does well but I want the club to stop treating the fans like idiots.
Don't you think you're being just a little bit precious mate? Would you like them to consult you before their every decision?
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:53 pm
Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:52 pm

But it's a nonsense to claim you can draw any conclusions from a base of 6 :lol:
I will let you research all the other clubs since 1905.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:16 pm
gshaw wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 pm Hmmmm, on one hand another amateur and the cosy setup continues. On the other hoping that it means definitely a temporary appointment as I doubt he'll want to let the media work go.

More of a natural leader than Embleton personality-wise so that's at least one promising factor. Whether he'll stand up to Ling remains to be seen. Makes the Tuesday away stream worth watching just to see what playing style changes he implements.
Will be interesting as to how this works out and also different what system Jobi will employ.
Wonder if Jobi will play, put himself on the bench, or even in the stands, interesting times and dare I say it, if a run of good form follows, still not too late to get into the play offs.
I don’t think there is a cat in hells chance of the playoffs Sid.
We will be looking at about 11 wins from 16 games, blimey its not realistic.
Although Comical Tuffers will argue that it is just for a bite.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

This is a good appointment.
The thing people are missing is Jobi is probably financially secure so he doesn’t really need the job.
This enables him to manage without fear, and also stand his ground on all other internal issues.
I will imagine that he has demanded final say on all incoming players and I don’t expect him to say that he can’t play his favoured formation after 3 transfer windows.