Jobi McAnuff appointed interim Head coach

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Jobi McAnuff appointed interim Head coach

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:21 pm
gshaw wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:17 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6615&p=185627&hilit=Cosy#p185627

How do you know that McAnuff would prefer media work to a head coach job?
What's the link meant to show, am I missing something there?

He already said earlier in the season he didn't want to give up the media work hence why he stepped back from the coaching side and just focused on playing.
The “cosy setup” where managers have been sacked after 3 months (Davis), 4 weeks (fletcher) and 13 months (Ross)...
As gshaw himself freely admits, he's missing something.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

He already said earlier in the season he didn't want to give up the media work hence why he stepped back from the coaching side and just focused on playing.
The “cosy setup” where managers have been sacked after 3 months (Davis), 4 weeks (fletcher) and 13 months (Ross)...
Davis and (definitely) Fletcher weren't in cosy club. Embleton was but reading the various tweets flying around there was trouble in the ranks.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Beradogs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:04 pm I called it. He was screaming at the players on Saturday. A little nod to upstairs that Ross needs to go ASAP and I am your man. I think Jobi will go to the very top in management so happy to have him here on the start of the journey.
As much as I like Jobi and I really do , we're going from one inexperienced manager to another . However I do agree he does have the makings of being a good manager .I'll be fully behind him and wish him every success .
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:22 pm

Yes, there's definitely a lot you are missing.

What's he supposed to say? "Yeah, I'd give up the media work in a heartbeat if the Orient job was available". Don't be such a plank. Why bother to do the coaching badges if you don't want to go into that.

Or is this setting you up for your bitchy digs again so you can say "He didn't want the job, Ling forced him to take it. FFS Ling!"
Ling gives plenty of ammo by running his mouth off at Q&A sessions along with 3 failed managerial appointments. Don't need any more ammo there 😂 DoF needs to go next.
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

Oh dear
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

gshaw wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Davis and (definitely) Fletcher weren't in cosy club. Embleton was but reading the various tweets flying around there was trouble in the ranks.
And of course all that is conveniently true cos it means you can use it for more bitching.

Embleton lasted, what, a year in the permanent role including a several month layoff due to Covid. Think how that compares to other head coaches/managers. Go on, just think about something for once.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

He is manager and not head coach.

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Thor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:32 pm He is manager and not head coach.

Yep, that clears that up then and it's a deliberate distinction.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

I'm totally underwhelmed by this appointment , saying that Jobi will get my backing like any other manager has .
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Ok, I can’t be bothered arguing with you on this anymore as you keep moving the goalposts lol

Also, some of you need to understand the definition of the word ‘interim’
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

I’m not against Jobi being Orient manager as such, I think he will be a good manager one day. I just don’t think it’s the right move until the end of the season. Nigel’s statement shows they’ve learnt f*** all. It’s just another ‘buy some time and wait and see’ move from them.

“His appointment gives us a degree of continuity but also a fresh approach for the final third of the season.” Continuity is the f*cking problem. You can’t seriously tell me everything wrong with the team is soley down to RE.

Absolutely mental.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:36 pm

Ok, I can’t be bothered arguing with you on this anymore as you keep moving the goalposts lol

Going by the statement, he’s basically been told ‘get us into the playoffs and the job is yours’.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:40 pm I’m not against Jobi being Orient manager as such, I think he will be a good manager one day. I just don’t think it’s the right move until the end of the season. Nigel’s statement shows they’ve learnt f*** all. It’s just another ‘buy some time and wait and see’ move from them.

“His appointment gives us a degree of continuity but also a fresh approach for the final third of the season.” Continuity is the f*cking problem. You can’t seriously tell me everything wrong with the team is soley down to RE.

Absolutely mental.
Yep. Why grill someone for two hours over an interim role? Think they just don't want to appoint him without this trial period when that will potentially hinder him. There's probably a results based outcome that will secure him the job permanently, such as finishing just outside the playoffs.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:42 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:40 pm I’m not against Jobi being Orient manager as such, I think he will be a good manager one day. I just don’t think it’s the right move until the end of the season. Nigel’s statement shows they’ve learnt f*** all. It’s just another ‘buy some time and wait and see’ move from them.

Absolutely mental.
Yep. Why grill someone for two hours over an interim role? Think they just don't want to appoint him without this trial period when that will potentially hinder him. There's probably a results based outcome that will secure him the job permanently, such as finishing just outside the playoffs.
I hadn’t seen the video before I posted that.

Succession plan for all positions - clearly isn’t true.
Very long list of potential managerial candidates - clearly isn’t true.

It’s all bluff and bluster.
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

faith1234 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:19 pm Told you all jobi no f*cking ambition this club how long do we have to go before we get someone in the club to take us forward why on gods earth do we invite people to apply for the managers job if we are just going to go with the cheap option lovey man but sh*t appointment this club is going down hill fast we won’t make the playoffs Nigel said a that 16 games left 48 points let’s get promotion CRAP
Who wrote that for you🧐
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:36 pm Also, some of you need to understand the definition of the word ‘interim’
Embleton started as interim too remember. By the sounds of the longer YouTube interview Jobi has it until the end of the season as a bit of a trial run for both him and the club.

The more interesting bit is the distinction between being identified as a Manager rather than Head Coach. Hopefully that means less interference from "elsewhere".

One thing for sure streaming numbers for Tuesday will be looking very healthy indeed. I think we're all going to be intrigued by how McAnuff sets his stall out.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:48 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:42 pm

Absolutely mental.
I hadn’t seen the video before I posted that.

Succession plan for all positions - clearly isn’t true.
Very long list of potential managerial candidates - clearly isn’t true.

It’s all bluff and bluster.
Knowing the type of people Travis and Teague are it makes sense to be doing that sort of due diligence in the background.

Have listened to the longer interview and he said the objective for this season is promotion so think you're right about a playoff position securing the job permanently for McAnuff (if he wants to take it that is).
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

Let’s see what team he picks on Tuesday, more important will be where he plays people.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Be interesting to know Ling’s feeling on the appointment.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

Huxley wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:06 pm Love the guy but my goodness what a sh*thouse appointment.

Wish him all the best.

We are going to be in League 2 for a very long time if this is the type of leadership the club is comfortable with.
He and Senda were the only candidates that could get us into the play offs this season . If you pulled in somebody from outside it would take a time to get to know the players and introduce a style of play. We don’t have that time . Jobi has a wealth of football know how and we should give him a chance . If it does not work out by the end of the season then changes will be made. Remember Justin took time to get the players into his way of thinking and style of play. This certainly was not a sh*t appointment . If you listen to Nigel on YouTube they are still ambitious to get our club into League 1 that’s why Ross got the sack
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

On the one hand, Jobi has been part of a failing set up, on the other I wonder if he was critical of the way Ross set out to play which is why Ross went and he was appointed so quickly. Having seen the Travis interview he says they had succession planning in place which may explain the quick decision. There is no doubt of his ability as a player, I do hope he will be as good as a manager. I can't see him playing so much for the next few games.

Travis gives off very positive vibes, and knowing Jobi as he does he must be confident that he will make the step up.

I expect everyone here will be 100% behind him (subject to giving a bit of advice here and there). Good Luck Jobi, Grimsby's anticipation of 3 points on Tuesday have been tipped into the Humber!
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Going by the statement, he’s basically been told ‘get us into the playoffs and the job is yours’.
Does he even want the job long term ? I thought people was saying he wanted to do some media work . So he's caretaker manager until we sign somebody permanent . ? It'll be interesting to see what happens if Jobi does well.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Interesting and perhap significant that Jobi is interim Manager rather than Interim head coach, I think there is more anticipation that Jobi can handle the role better and take us forward. Personally I think it's a sound and sensible appointment, I hope he makes a success of it one thing I do expect is Jobi will set us up to go out and win games for the rest of the season.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Does he even want the job long term ? I thought people was saying he wanted to do some media work . So he's caretaker manager until we sign somebody permanent . ? It'll be interesting to see what happens if Jobi does well.
MCANUFF DIDN'T WANT THE JOB - LING FORCED HIM TO TAKE IT!

Of course it's up to McAnuff as well. He may not want to take the job permanently in the summer for various reasons. He has different options now and will have different options in the summer.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

People need to go wobble their heads. Twitter is in meltdown over this appointment. I'd love to have 25% of his career and experiences which would stand me in good stead to be in with a chance of being successfull in this role. Who did they expect Pep? Kopp?

The man has all the attributes to be a success in the role. At least give him the chance to succeed or fail by the decisions he makes.

I'm behind him 100% and I think he will surprise quite a few people on here, on twitter and elsewhere about his capabilities.