GILSON SACKED AS COMMENTATOR?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

GILSON SACKED AS COMMENTATOR?

Post by Long slender neck »

Hearing rumours that his services are no longer required. About time IMO.
The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: GILSON SACKED AS COMMENTATOR?

Post by The Orient Hour »

Cheers for that.
I will be reporting for radio and hosting orient hour, but as I said on a tweet weeks ago ,the media dept want a change.
I did 30 years including 7 for ITV. So whilst your entitled to your opinion I obviously must have been doing something right.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Andy Gilson wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:04 pm Cheers for that.
I will be reporting for radio and hosting orient hour, but as I said on a tweet weeks ago ,the media dept want a change.
I did 30 years including 7 for ITV. So whilst your entitled to your opinion I obviously must have been doing something right.
Are you taking over from Dave Victor on the matchday radio/online commentary?
The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

No I am not taking over from Dave, he is a very good friend of mine and stays doing radio commentary, which is for obvious reasons a far more descriptive type of commentary than that of television. Can't pretend I am not disappointed with the media dept decision and felt I had a bit longer left but I am 57 later this year they are all 21 and I have to accept that they obviously view my style and probably me as old school / a dinosaur 😊 and they want a different style. Some will be pleased (obviously the author of this thread is one) & some will think perhaps the club are mending something that isn't broke. Very chuffed that a twitter poll is 80 odd percent wanting me to stay ,but that won't make any difference . It's been a good run and tbh having to commit to every home and away match cld have proved problematic. There's no ill feeling ,just disappointment on my behalf at how it was handled but there you go. Doesn't affect much, I will still be there reporting and I will now be back organising and being on a rota of hosts for orient hour. I was talking to Kent only last night, Matt Porter too, as I say there's no bad feelings and it's time now to just get behind the club in these toughest of times and do what we can to get them through it.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Andy, ignore PW he’s spoiling for a fight with someone.

You’ve undertaken that role for a longtime so you must have been doing something right and you seem to have taken this decision in a professional manner and rightly you are holding your head up high. I remember when you started doing this, creating something that didn’t exist previously.

Well done for your contribution over the years and continue to do the good deed in or on whatever platform you work on. I’m pleased you’ve returned to the Orient Hour and I’m sure that you will work dilegently and professionally there once more.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

What radio? Anything for a free ticket.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Glad you are not bitter at all about it.
The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Thanks Thor. Looking forward to growing the audience for Orient Hour next season and making it a lot more focused on answering supporters questions.
I got to commentate on 3 promotions which nobody else has done (Dulcet was doing Barnet in 2006) and until a few weeks ago was the longest lasting video commentator at any senior club. ...apr 88 til may 19. So it's a decent run.
Prestige....life is too short to be bitter , I am disappointed, I'd be lying to say I wasn't ,but we move on. I will be doing various stuff with Phoenix FM.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

You’re 56?

f*** me that was some paper round you had as a kid.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Assume it's a typo and he meant 66.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Thank you for your contributions Andy 👍👍
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I don't remember the highlights having any commentary until last season, so don't know what you've been doing all this time.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Andy Gilson wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:01 pm Thanks Thor. Looking forward to growing the audience for Orient Hour next season and making it a lot more focused on answering supporters questions.
I got to commentate on 3 promotions which nobody else has done (Dulcet was doing Barnet in 2006) and until a few weeks ago was the longest lasting video commentator at any senior club. ...apr 88 til may 19. So it's a decent run.
Prestige....life is too short to be bitter , I am disappointed, I'd be lying to say I wasn't ,but we move on. I will be doing various stuff with Phoenix FM.
Any other changes (apart from the day) coming to the Orient Hour?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

What's happened here? Why has Prestige Worldwide got such a problem with Andy Gilson?
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

I always enjoyed Andy’s commentaries
Always brought memories of the famous Brian Moore of LWT fame.
Hope we still get commentary on our away games next season??
The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

You will have a new commentator I believe.
I don't know if Prestige has 'a problem' with me as such Biggsy, I've always said it's law of averages with the commentary 33pc will like what you do, 33pc think it's OK and 33pc won't like your voice/style at all. That will go for pretty much any commentator/DJ/Presenter. Just the way it is.
With regard to the Orient Hour ,I am in the middle of recruiting main presenters, can announce former LBC & BBC sports host Steve Tongue is joining us next season. Outlooks Steve Nussbaum too, several regulars and we will have an ideas and strategy meeting soon.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

Do you reckon your period on here as TTM reflected badly on you in the eyes of the young team?

Anyway, you have done a fantastic job over the years and I will miss your commentary.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Andy Gilson wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:30 pm No I am not taking over from Dave, he is a very good friend of mine and stays doing radio commentary, which is for obvious reasons a far more descriptive type of commentary than that of television. Can't pretend I am not disappointed with the media dept decision and felt I had a bit longer left but I am 57 later this year they are all 21 and I have to accept that they obviously view my style and probably me as old school / a dinosaur 😊 and they want a different style. Some will be pleased (obviously the author of this thread is one) & some will think perhaps the club are mending something that isn't broke. Very chuffed that a twitter poll is 80 odd percent wanting me to stay ,but that won't make any difference . It's been a good run and tbh having to commit to every home and away match cld have proved problematic. There's no ill feeling ,just disappointment on my behalf at how it was handled but there you go. Doesn't affect much, I will still be there reporting and I will now be back organising and being on a rota of hosts for orient hour. I was talking to Kent only last night, Matt Porter too, as I say there's no bad feelings and it's time now to just get behind the club in these toughest of times and do what we can to get them through it.
Sorry to hear the news Andy. For what it’s worth, I thought you did an excellent job. Whoever made this decision is an absolute numpty, as is the fella who started this thread.
Delamod
Fresh Alias

Post by Delamod »

I like the old school commentary- very much in the Brian Moore, Gerald Sinstadt style ( one for the teenagers there).
Have they considered a red button option for the more mature listener?
The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Buddy Manucci wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:29 pm Do you reckon your period on here as TTM reflected badly on you in the eyes of the young team?

Anyway, you have done a fantastic job over the years and I will miss your commentary.
Don't know you'd have to ask them, it certainly wasn't mentioned. Thanks for saying I did a fantastic job, I did my best and I will miss doing it tbh.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Shame considering your service and also seeing first hand the lack of tech support and equipment you were given.

Jobs for the boys are though I guess.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Andy Gilson wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:27 pm You will have a new commentator I believe.
I don't know if Prestige has 'a problem' with me as such Biggsy, I've always said it's law of averages with the commentary 33pc will like what you do, 33pc think it's OK and 33pc won't like your voice/style at all. That will go for pretty much any commentator/DJ/Presenter. Just the way it is.
With regard to the Orient Hour ,I am in the middle of recruiting main presenters, can announce former LBC & BBC sports host Steve Tongue is joining us next season. Outlooks Steve Nussbaum too, several regulars and we will have an ideas and strategy meeting soon.
Have to say i was one of the 33 % whose ears didnt get on with your voice.
Nothing personal at all & totally blame the ears for this.

Always a decent effort though & a love for the club that
would be up there with the most loyal.

Modern times now & maybe the future for a growing club is the chance to imbed new younger fans through forms of social media that over 50s just dont fit in with.

Good luck in your other stuff.
Leyton53
Fresh Alias

Post by Leyton53 »

Shame. I thought you did an excellent commentary. ‘As one door closes another opens’. Be interesting who the new commentator will be.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Good luck with your future endeavours Andy.
You must have been doing the O's stuff a long while, I remember you from the late 80''s.
Back in the old 4th div days, do you recall Paul who worked for BT?
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Sorry to hear this Andy, must be a wrench after so long, anyway gives you more time in the SC.

Mikero