Malcolm Slater

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Malcolm Slater

Post by redintheface »

The club have announced the death of former O’s winger Malcolm Slater at the age of 83. He made over 100 appearances for the O’s between 1966 and 1970. RIP Mal!
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Malcolm Slater

Post by PutneyO »

I remember when we signed him ... seems like yesterday
Last edited by PutneyO on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Lost his place ultimately to Mark Lazarus in the 69/70 and moved on to Colchester United if I recall right. Decent player and good crosser of the ball from the right wing.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Remember him well during my first seasons watching the O's. RIP Malcolm.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Yes , good player for us , R.I.P
Redman
Fresh Alias

Post by Redman »

Had the privilege of meeting Malcolm some years ago and sorting out his heating system in his Southend home. I told him I remembered his idiosyncratic holding of his jersey cuffs when taking a corner, he informed me that this was a nervous trait which helped him place the kick in the right spot. A lovely man for sure. RIP wee man.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Redman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:33 pm Had the privilege of meeting Malcolm some years ago and sorting out his heating system in his Southend home. I told him I remembered his idiosyncratic holding of his jersey cuffs when taking a corner, he informed me that this was a nervous trait which helped him place the kick in the right spot. A lovely man for sure. RIP wee man.
Anyone recall Owen Simpson? Another player we had around the same time as Mal Slater who also used to hold his jersey cuffs when playing.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

redintheface wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:11 pm
Redman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:33 pm Had the privilege of meeting Malcolm some years ago and sorting out his heating system in his Southend home. I told him I remembered his idiosyncratic holding of his jersey cuffs when taking a corner, he informed me that this was a nervous trait which helped him place the kick in the right spot. A lovely man for sure. RIP wee man.
Anyone recall Owen Simpson? Another player we had around the same time as Mal Slater who also used to hold his jersey cuffs when playing.
Recall both Slater and Simpson – very earliest memories of the O’s for me as a young kid, and Owen Simpson was my favourite plater.

R.I.P Malcolm.