Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Coronavirus

Post by George M »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:34 pm It's so good that the number of new infections is going down, hopefully the number of deaths will follow soon.
The lockdown is probably the main reason, but surely when the lockdown is over, and the plebs start mixing closely again, the numbers will again rise.
We really have to hope and pray this vaccine is the real deal, and the virus goes away, or at least recedes massively
Why will you call people plebs for mixing closely once the lockdown is over. They will be following advice.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:17 pm Patients admitted to hospital is flat now (up 0.5% in latest seven day period). Coupled with tumbling infection percentage things should hopefully be improving as far as hospitals go in the next few weeks. Another 340k first vaccines administered too.

New high for deaths though - 1,820.
1,820 deaths is the headline from today’s announcements.

Talk about bias.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

George wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:10 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:34 pm It's so good that the number of new infections is going down, hopefully the number of deaths will follow soon.
The lockdown is probably the main reason, but surely when the lockdown is over, and the plebs start mixing closely again, the numbers will again rise.
We really have to hope and pray this vaccine is the real deal, and the virus goes away, or at least recedes massively
Why will you call people plebs for mixing closely once the lockdown is over. They will be following advice.
What like in May when there were still 15k cases a week ?

Funny they went through march & april talking about behind the curve of italy.france & spain

Then when those 3 places re-opened they re-opened here in a couple of days .

Do it properly this time !!
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Sorry Tuffers I don’t understand your point. Is that a reply to Os or me.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

I think you mean when it is the correct time to end lockdown. Yes , they should think about it carefully. But I doubt we will reach a time this year when infection rates are low enough to be completely safe. My point was not to criticise people for following advice. If we are told not to mix and we don’t listen , then plebs is a fair description. If we are told that it’s safe to mix , and we do , it’s a little unfair to name call
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

George wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:28 pm I think you mean when it is the correct time to end lockdown. Yes , they should think about it carefully. But I doubt we will reach a time this year when infection rates are low enough to be completely safe. My point was not to criticise people for following advice. If we are told not to mix and we don’t listen , then plebs is a fair description. If we are told that it’s safe to mix , and we do , it’s a little unfair to name call
They Ignored the advice & it was the put out as a
Balance between going skint as a country & people dying
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Deaths on a downward trend since 12/01
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:34 pm Deaths on a downward trend since 12/01
Can you show your workings please?
Or are you just referencing hospital deaths?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Look at the data section. Most recent 5 days should be discounted.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:53 pm https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Look at the data section. Most recent 5 days should be discounted.
Literally no idea what you’re going on about.

But I’m glad there’s some positives to take from the world beating 1,800+ deaths today and 1,600 yesterday.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Surprise Surprise

Post by Still wrong »

Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Surprise Surprise

Post by Dohnut »

2,000,000 have received the first dose, 12,000 cases. 400,000 second shot, 69 cases. I’d say that falls within the 90% effectiveness range. We all know it’s not 100%, never been claimed to be 100%. Mutations will impact. Their 95% claims were always overstated in my opinion.

The flu jab is only 60%/70% effective in the U.K. Nothing is 100%. The Flu virus continually mutates.

I can see this jab becoming a regular feature like the annual flu jab as the vaccine is modified to cope with new strains. Covid 19 ain’t ever going away. Big problem.

Any ideas for a better solution.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Not sure if Cilla Black can do much with this problem
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Dohnut (ALM) wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:58 am 2,000,000 have received the first dose, 12,000 cases. 400,000 second shot, 69 cases. I’d say that falls within the 90% effectiveness range. We all know it’s not 100%, never been claimed to be 100%. Mutations will impact. Their 95% claims were always overstated in my opinion.

The flu jab is only 60%/70% effective in the U.K. Nothing is 100%. The Flu virus continually mutates.

I can see this jab becoming a regular feature like the annual flu jab as the vaccine is modified to cope with new strains. Covid 19 ain’t ever going away. Big problem.

Yep,
Don’t spend millions on something which probably won’t work.
It’s a panic move.
And to then totally ignore the manufacturer’s instructions is beyond stupid.
This idea was Tony Blair’s.
Why are they acting on the advice of someone with no qualifications in this?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

There have been problems all over the world with this vaccine, but we dont hear about it in this country.
The UK government are really depending on this vaccine to get them out of jail after the mistakes they have made . If it turns out the vaccine isnt much good, we are truly f*cked , thats for certain
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Still wrong wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:55 am
Dohnut (ALM) wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:58 am 2,000,000 have received the first dose, 12,000 cases. 400,000 second shot, 69 cases. I’d say that falls within the 90% effectiveness range. We all know it’s not 100%, never been claimed to be 100%. Mutations will impact. Their 95% claims were always overstated in my opinion.

Yep,
It’s a panic move.
My question was less about what not to do. But what ideas you have on what we should be doing.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:08 pm I don't know, but luckily that's not true is it?
From.the government website

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and 2 doses will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus. So, it is important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

To protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues you still need to:

practice social distancing
wear a face mask
wash your hands carefully and frequently
follow the current guidance

Note they don't say you won't get it or you won't pass it on which means you will and you can.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:04 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:08 pm I don't know, but luckily that's not true is it?

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and 2 doses will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus. So, it is important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

wear a face mask

Note they don't say you won't get it or you won't pass it on which means you will and you can.
And a Vaccine means it is less likely to kill you if you do get it .
Come on Thorby
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

wear a face mask

Rubbish. Think you need to go back to your reading lessons. To paraphrase your "statement" it means you might still catch it and you might still pass it on.

That's very different to what you said.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:30 am There have been problems all over the world with this vaccine, but we dont hear about it in this country.
The UK government are really depending on this vaccine to get them out of jail after the mistakes they have made . If it turns out the vaccine isnt much good, we are truly f*cked , thats for certain
I will agree.
There are two ways out of this.
A vaccine or herd immunity.
They along with others have panicked and thrown a shed load of cash at a vaccine which we were told would give us 91% immunity after a couple of weeks.
We are now being told it could be as low as 33%.
We were also told that a second dose would be required after 3 weeks.
Blair come up with the ridiculous idea of ignoring the manufacturers instructions and going for 1 jab for the first 12 weeks.
And our so called experts think this is fine.
I said at the time that this has been rushed and will proved to be less than useless.
The next couple of months should provide an answer.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

Dohnut (ALM) wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Still wrong wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:55 am

Yep,
It’s a panic move.
My question was less about what not to do. But what ideas you have on what we should be doing.
Protect the most vulnerable.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Still wrong »

tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm

wear a face mask

Come on Thorby
Hospitals are still filling up in Israel with people who have had this particular jab.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Still wrong wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:02 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm

wear a face mask

Come on Thorby
Hospitals are still filling up in Israel with people who have had this particular jab.
Is there.proof that they didnt have the virus before the Jab ?
Or before it became effective ( you know the 12 to 1e days they mention)

Have they had both shots ?

As ive said my Sisters Father in Law has had both & so far seems to be fine & dandy
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:47 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:17 pm Patients admitted to hospital is flat now (up 0.5% in latest seven day period). Coupled with tumbling infection percentage things should hopefully be improving as far as hospitals go in the next few weeks. Another 340k first vaccines administered too.

New high for deaths though - 1,820.
1,820 deaths is the headline from today’s announcements.

Talk about bias.
Yeah, it's the headline and a really grim fact but we sadly knew that deaths would be this high around now and things get worse. We've acknowledged that many times in this thread already. But fixating on deaths only when there is the bigger picture to consider would be wrong because this thread isn't just about the headlines. Just hope that the daily updates can get a little better each time so the compound effect kicks in over time.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Oxford: Done.