Tropical fish keeping

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Tropical fish keeping

Post by BIGRON »

Started out about 5 months ago , now have a tank with a nice few fish and even a few babys , anybody else into fish keeping ??
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Tropical fish keeping

Post by Long slender neck »

What fish do you have? I had a small tank with a few platys some years ago.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:48 pm What fish do you have? I had a small tank with a few platys some years ago.
Guppys , mollies , a couple of Plecos and 3 small catfish , mollies had quite a few babies but only 4 left now 🤔
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

BIGRON wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:04 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:48 pm What fish do you have? I had a small tank with a few platys some years ago.
Guppys , mollies , a couple of Plecos and 3 small catfish , mollies had quite a few babies but only 4 left now 🤔
Sounds like a right good feast. You enjoy it Ron.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Ron I'd say you are doing OK. Guppies & Mollies are fairly easy to keep. If you fall into temptation at the Trop Shop, some other species are more delicate or difficult. Some like Tiger Barb and sword tails can bully and chase other fish. You also need plenty of plants, as that removes Nitrate which can build up. Delicate foliage can provide hiding places for the baby fish & they eat the plants too. I had a tank for years & would love to have another one, but I have nowhere to put it. Tanks are very relaxing.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

In my teens and early twenties , I was into fishkeeping in a big way.
I had seven tanks, and i also showed fish in competitions. I won many certificates, and a few medals etc.
I lost interest all of a sudden, and have never kept fish again. I used to breed egglayers, and i remember have a mating pait of blue Acara, that produced over 400 youngsters.....even in a six foot tank they were over crowded, so i sold them to the local pet shop. The most he would give me was £1 for 400 !!!
I said no, but couldnt find anyone else to give me any more, so i reluctantly went back, and took the Pound note ( this was c1970)
He then put them up for 60p each
I have never felt the 'urge' to start keeping fish again, though if im passing a pet shop that sells them, I'll have a look in there
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Similar to ComeOnYouOs, was quite into it for a while, though did make do with 1 tank.

At one point, had a 26 gallon corner effort, always did tropical, rather than the more expensive and precarious Marine set up.

Found it really enjoyable, and pretty low-maintenance, save for a quarterly strip-down I used to do. Ended up taking it all down, as I went away for 6 months, and never got the bug again, but was definitely a worthwhile gig overall.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

It is a little known fact that the previous owners of Gold Towers owned an Aquarium and Tropical fish shop.

Hence I have a pond in the back door with a sophisticated pond for keeping Koi in. When we viewed the house the owners made a point of stating they were taking the Koi with them as well as the large aquarium in the living room.

A few weeks ago I had to fish out a drowned hedgehog from the pond and give it a proper humanist burial.

If the truth be told I never actually buried it. I put it in a bag and dropped it in the wheelie bin.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Tats a special back door with a pond in it. Is the door really deep?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:35 pm Tats a special back door with a pond in it. Is the door really deep?
Sorry mate can't unjumble the word salad therefore unable to answer.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Baby mollies are likely to get eaten, even by their own mother. I used to have a removable mini plastic container (tank) within the big tank to keep the babies separate until they were big enough to cope.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 pm
[/quote]

Baby mollies are likely to get eaten, even by their own mother. I used to have a removable mini plastic container (tank) within the big tank to keep the babies separate until they were big enough to cope.
[/quote]

I ain't got room for another tank so i let nature take its course , live food for my fish 🤔
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

have a fish pond.
used to keep tropical fish
aggressive fish think they where
called simeez fighters. forgive the spelling
got rid in the end to much cleaning.
ClockworkO
Fresh Alias