‘Pigs Revenge’ Post Brexit, sandwich wars.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

‘Pigs Revenge’ Post Brexit, sandwich wars.

Post by Oiram »

This made me smile,

They wouldn’t even let the poor lorry driver keep the bread!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55622331
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: ‘Pigs Revenge’ Post Brexit, sandwich wars.

Post by Adz »

You'd have thought there would have been some transition period, but in the long run it makes sense. The UK can import any old crap now, so the EU has to protect itself against it.
SwallO
Fresh Alias

Post by SwallO »

wasn't the transition period the last 12 months ?
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Well yeah, but I mean nothing has changed in the UK between brexit happening and now, so there's seems a bit over officious
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Adz wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:56 am Well yeah, but I mean nothing has changed in the UK between brexit happening and now, so there's seems a bit over officious
The UK government's strategy was to run down the clock, in order to try and get the most concessions possible in a deal at the last minute. The inevitable outcome to that is that the transition period wasn't used to actually transition from the old to the new (as it was meant to be).

The government turned down the opportunity to extend the transition period, because it wanted to "get Brexit done". What we're seeing now is the result of that decision and the overall strategy of delay.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

A Pedant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am [quote=Adz post_id=172318 time=<a href="tel:1610520978">1610520978</a> user_id=206]
Well yeah, but I mean nothing has changed in the UK between brexit happening and now, so there's seems a bit over officious
The UK government's strategy was to run down the clock, in order to try and get the most concessions possible in a deal at the last minute. The inevitable outcome to that is that the transition period wasn't used to actually transition from the old to the new (as it was meant to be).

The government turned down the opportunity to extend the transition period, because it wanted to "get Brexit done". What we're seeing now is the result of that decision and the overall strategy of delay.
[/quote]
A Pedant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am
Adz wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:56 am Well yeah, but I mean nothing has changed in the UK between brexit happening and now, so there's seems a bit over officious

More like ‘handbags at dawn’
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

The "strategy" was ludicrous but in line with Boris's general approach to commerce when he voiced his thoughts and said "Fuk business"
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:04 am

The "strategy" was ludicrous but in line with Boris's general approach to commerce when he voiced his thoughts and said "Fuk business"
Where is the proof of your warped opinion?
We have left the EU, get use to it. You can stew and cry internally continuously, otherwise embrace the breaking free from the shackles of EU red tape and regulation.
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Which specific 'EU red tape and regulation' are you internally celebrating being free of, out of interest?
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

A Pedant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 pm Which specific 'EU red tape and regulation' are you internally celebrating being free of, out of interest?
The EU specifically. It gone, over. get used to it or if you love the EU so much try go live there to make you happy
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

A Pedant wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 pm Which specific 'EU red tape and regulation' are you internally celebrating being free of, out of interest?
Indeed. There will be even more of it to come.

Prime Scottish seafood rotting on the docks because of the ending of the customs union and the single market.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 pm

Prime Scottish seafood rotting on the docks because of the ending of the customs union and the single market.
More ‘Doom and Gloom ‘ from our resident Private Frazier. If you fear the worse you can always go to somewhere like Belgium and have their stewed eels, which I often do. Ypres is nice place or Lille.
Last edited by Oiram on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Oiram wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:58 pm
The EU specifically. It gone, over. get used to it or if you love the EU so much try go live there to make you happy
Ah, so it's the sweet sweet smell of sovereignty that you're giddy on inhaling, rather than a particular bit of regulation that you're free of.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

Oiram wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 pm

More ‘Doom and Gloom ‘ from our resident Private Frazier. If you fear the worse you can always go to somewhere like Belgium and have their stewed eels, which I often do. Ypres is nice place or Lille.
stewed EELS nice but jellied gorgeous.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

So this is going to be your recurring "Shtick" going forwards is it? Anyone who demonstrates any problems caused by Brexit is a "doom and gloom" merchant, unpatriotic, negative, not "getting behind the Country" etc etc. I'm sure we all look forward to more similar intellectual dross from you, like a returning dose of piles. I wish you'd get a hobby.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

BoniO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:21 pm

So this is going to be your recurring "Shtick" going forwards is it? Anyone who demonstrates any problems caused by Brexit is a "doom and gloom" merchant, unpatriotic, negative, not "getting behind the Country" etc etc. I'm sure we all look forward to more similar intellectual dross from you, like a returning dose of piles. I wish you'd get a hobby.
To be fair I have modelled myself on Private Fraser and Victor Meldrew.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

BoniO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:21 pm

You are saying it all yourself. Accept it I suggest as we will not be going back. Then move on?
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

greyhound wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:57 pm

stewed EELS nice but jellied gorgeous.
Ditto!
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

A Pedant wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:54 pm
Ah, so it's the sweet sweet smell of sovereignty that you're giddy on inhaling, rather than a particular bit of regulation that you're free of.

All of the above.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Got it. So you're just a tiresome WUM only capable of repeating the same tired (and copied) message incessantly. Think I'll bail out.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

BoniO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:16 pm Got it. So you're just a tiresome WUM only capable of repeating the same tired (and copied) message incessantly. Think I'll bail out.
WUm?
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Oiram wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm

All of the above.
OK, which particular bit of EU regulation then? It's not a hard question.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

He did live there till about 2 weeks ago. Now Brexit has happened, it’s considerably harder for him to do so. See how much more freedom we have now?
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Admin wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:08 pm
He did live there till about 2 weeks ago. Now Brexit has happened, it’s considerably harder for him to do so. See how much more freedom we have now?
Why did he not apply for residency? I know so many people who are UK citizen with places abroad , Portugal, Bulgaria, Denmark, France Ireland. All have and had no issues. Likewise , my Polish and Bulgarian staff have all applied for and been accepted for residency here.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

A Pedant wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:48 pm
Oiram wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm

All of the above.
OK, which particular bit of EU regulation then? It's not a hard question.
All of them. We do not need any of their regulations, we had most anyhow like workers rights , minimum wages, health and safety, equal opportunities , gay rights, same sex marriages and so on. We are better than the EU put together. Have some faith and pride in your Country like the French and the Germans have.
We have vaccinated more here than Europe. Our vaccine which was developed without EU interference.