Josh Wright

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Josh Wright

Post by aylesburyos »

Rumours on Twitter he is signing on a free from Bradford on a 2 year deal. Was under contract there but not wanted. Not a fan myself but hope he turns out ok
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Josh Wright

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Lots of rumours.

I guess he's an improvement on Charlie Lee in terms of someone to pass the ball sideways to the full backs?
LOFC1948
Fresh Alias

Post by LOFC1948 »

If it’s true - I don’t mind it - thought he was OK last time and should be OK in L 2. Still not the extra driving force box to box we need though IMO
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Wright was appointed club captain by Justin Edinburgh at Gillingham.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

It makes sense.

Strikes me as a player who would turn down more money or a better club to play for us because of location.
Has past history with the manager, and probably had his best football at Gillingham. Was captain at Gillingham and Bradford so could be an influential player. I think we might persist with the club captain/team captain thing next year, can't see Jobi making every game.

He has liked a lot of Orient tweets on Twitter recently, albeit most of them about Justin.

Think there is space for a first choice playmaker type and a reserve enforcer type. So this ticks the first box.

Didnt think much of him when he was here last, but Beelzebub made everyone play bad. Deserves a fresh start, so based on what he's done since leaving I reckon it'd be a good signing.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Hes Craig Clay v2 but he's played at this level, and above, consistently.

It doesn't solve our 3 main problems in midfield. A player who can break up play, someone who can pick a pass and someone who can carry the ball.

I'd be happy to have him, as long as he was one of 3 midfielders brought in.
orienfan64920
Fresh Alias

Post by orienfan64920 »

Scored 11 goals in a season under Edinburgh apparently
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

So what sort of midfielder is he? I remember him as a Lloyd James type.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

He’s good at going east to west and vice versa but can’t remember him going north to south I also remember him not really getting into a tackle but the biggest thing I remember him for was he was a whiner
orienfan64920
Fresh Alias

Post by orienfan64920 »

I think any player coming in who was previously with us under the Beelzebub regime deserves a clean slate
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

i remember he was fond of a lot of 12 yard square passes...............hopefully he has learnt to try and play the ball forward now and again and try to create. Its no good having Macca` and Josh up front if we don`t have creativity in midfield............anyway, lets see if he signs.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Lucky7 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm He’s good at going east to west and vice versa but can’t remember him going north to south I also remember him not really getting into a tackle but the biggest thing I remember him for was he was a whiner
I remember he had nice hair and was quite pretty.

In all seriousness, of course he should be able to a job at this level. Easily. Just not sure how he'd fit into our midfield as things stand? That's with either 2 or 3 in there.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

I reckon surrounded by some graft he'd be decent enough. Matthew Spring was a bit of a sideways player but he really did pull the strings and we played some nice football at that time with him in the side. Let's not forget that with Dawson next to him there was a ball winner and someone who could bring it forward.

Don't think Wright got the chance at Bradford to be a main player, and of course football fans would rather watch all effort and no skill rather than the other way around. So it's understandable that he wasn't well liked, especially coming in as captain and having no local connection.

I think it's also good from Justin's point of view that he gets some players that improve his lot in the dressing room, just like how Slade brought in Coxy/Terrell Forbes. Wouldn't surprise me if Jay Emmanuel Thomas ended up being a replacement for Alabi/Simpson.

I do remember thinking at the start of the season that Elokobi would be first choice and end up losing his place to Marv. I kinda feel the same about Clay, obviously did a great job last year but don't think he will make the step up if Wright signs as first choice.
Loyal_Supporter
Fresh Alias

Post by Loyal_Supporter »

Don't think we will sign anyone with JE still in hospital.
stage3
Fresh Alias

Post by stage3 »

sorry been there done it, not again n o no no there is better players to get out there.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:23 pm So what sort of midfielder is he? I remember him as a Lloyd James type.
Really? Nothing of the sort.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Theres a lot of mis-remembering when it comes to Wright. Not quite sure where he got that bad reputation from but it proceeds him a bit.

He joined us in a horrible season, in a relegation battle and in a few games, almost single handedly pulled us up by the boot straps and got us something. Remember he scored a brace in a game at home (cant remember who) and the winner away at Coventry where he grafted all night, on a freezing Tuesday night.

He's a player who tidies up, can ping a long cross-field ball and chip in with some goals. As i say, clay v2. He's got a good experience above this league, he's local and a decent squad player. As i say, he cant be our only midfield signing though.
Last edited by Rich Tea Wellin on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Also, if this is true, think of him as a Lawless replacement, and we've already upgraded.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I’m not keen on players returning. IMO the only one who was a decent success in say the last 10 years was Scott McGleish. But I’ll trust in the Managment and if Josh does return I wish him every success
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Harsh on Jobi
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Erm you might have to add McAnuff to that
y o y o y
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by y o y o y »

Lucky7 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm He’s good at going east to west and vice versa but can’t remember him going north to south I also remember him not really getting into a tackle but the biggest thing I remember him for was he was a whiner
No worries, plans are afoot to spin the pitch 90°.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

eagwgw wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:48 pm I reckon surrounded by some graft he'd be decent enough. Matthew Spring was a bit of a sideways player but he really did pull the strings and we played some nice football at that time with him in the side. Let's not forget that with Dawson next to him there was a ball winner and someone who could bring it forward.

Don't think Wright got the chance at Bradford to be a main player, and of course football fans would rather watch all effort and no skill rather than the other way around. So it's understandable that he wasn't well liked, especially coming in as captain and having no local connection.

I think it's also good from Justin's point of view that he gets some players that improve his lot in the dressing room, just like how Slade brought in Coxy/Terrell Forbes. Wouldn't surprise me if Jay Emmanuel Thomas ended up being a replacement for Alabi/Simpson.

I do remember thinking at the start of the season that Elokobi would be first choice and end up losing his place to Marv. I kinda feel the same about Clay, obviously did a great job last year but don't think he will make the step up if Wright signs as first choice.
JET would be a strange one, personal wish or rumours? Barely played since 2017 and comes with bags of talent but tons of attitude. Would have snapped your hand off for him a few years ago though. He could be on a fair wedge in Thailand.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 pm Theres a lot of mis-remembering when it comes to Wright. Not quite sure where he got that bad reputation from but it proceeds him a bit.

He joined us in a horrible season, in a relegation battle and in a few games, almost single handedly pulled us up by the boot straps and got us something. Remember he scored a brace in a game at home (cant remember who) and the winner away at Coventry where he grafted all night, on a freezing Tuesday night.

He's a player who tidies up, can ping a long cross-field ball and chip in with some goals. As i say, clay v2. He's got a good experience above this league, he's local and a decent squad player. As i say, he cant be our only midfield signing though.
Agree with this, also remember him being one of the few who were really putting a shift in and showing a bit of determination at the time. Scored a few goals too.

I guess we'll stick with the 3 at the back so we can mix up the midfield a bit. If we go 4-4-2 he's a replacement for Clay rather than playing alongside.

Wouldn't be against the signing if it happens but still need that enforcer type player badly.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:05 pm Harsh on Jobi
Ok and Jobi