Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Coronavirus

Post by tuffers#1 »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:57 pm
Dunners wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:46 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:31 pm

This is correct but relax. We are all in it together.

Except for Boris's dad who jumped the queue for vaccination because he has a house viewing in La Rochelle on Sunday where he has applied for citizenship.

Nice place - you can go on a boat ride to Fort Boyard and the Moules et Frites are magnifique.
Only the bourgeois live in La Rochelle. Perpinyà is where it's really at.
Sí camarada. Un dia Catalunya serà gratuïta
eta guk zer? Ahaztu Katalunia
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dunners wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:37 am I go for a long walk once a day, usually around noon. The streets around here are as busy as they were before Christmas. Last March it was like a ghost town, but this time you'd be hard pressed to notice much difference from Tier 3. People are not taking this seriously and, if infections and hospitalisation continues to increase, it only makes more drastic intervention likely.
To be fair to the behavioural psychologists who everyone shat on in the first wave, they said this would happen - compliance was only going to last so long. Think government communication and decision making has eroded it massively, but people throwing in the towel is a feature of all pandemics. Covid is in this weird middle ground where it's deadly, but to a small enough subsection of society that is generally quite hidden from society that people don't feel the fear.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Dunners wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:37 am I go for a long walk once a day, usually around noon. The streets around here are as busy as they were before Christmas. Last March it was like a ghost town, but this time you'd be hard pressed to notice much difference from Tier 3. People are not taking this seriously and, if infections and hospitalisation continues to increase, it only makes more drastic intervention likely.
This is bang on the nail.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:50 pm Highest deaths for this wave so far is 4th Jan - 703
Relentless.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk- ... s-12182575
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:13 pm
To be fair to the behavioural psychologists who everyone shat on in the first wave, they said this would happen - compliance was only going to last so long. Think government communication and decision making has eroded it massively, but people throwing in the towel is a feature of all pandemics. Covid is in this weird middle ground where it's deadly, but to a small enough subsection of society that is generally quite hidden from society that people don't feel the fear.
It’s going to get even weirder in 3 months time when all the over 70s are demanding to be allowed back into cafes and clothes shops and onto their coach trips cos theyve had their jab.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

"Gone fishing.........." ;)
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

You know there’s truth in that - that age group are the most selfish out there and we’re going to see their We’re Alright Jack attitude in spades.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

What's concerning is the news yesterday that pfizer said the South African strain is not covered by their vaccine. So you can bet your bottom dollar that strain will head our way.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Just been to my local country park across the road from me, car park was overflowing.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:39 pm What's concerning is the news yesterday that pfizer said the South African strain is not covered by their vaccine. So you can bet your bottom dollar that strain will head our way.
No they didn't. A quick Google says they have found the opposite but need to do more testing.

And I thought you were anti Vax anyway. Stop posting such a relentless stream of bollox.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:39 pm What's concerning is the news yesterday that pfizer said the South African strain is not covered by their vaccine. So you can bet your bottom dollar that strain will head our way.
I thought they said the opposite, at least from some preliminary research pending further investigation and peer review?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pfize ... 1610108542
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:25 pm
No they didn't. A quick Google says they have found the opposite but need to do more testing.

And I thought you were anti Vax anyway. Stop posting such a relentless stream of bollox.
So why did grant shapps say this then?

Amid international fears about the South African strain, thought to be at least 60 per cent more infectious than regular Covid, the UK has made it compulsory for travellers to test negative when they arrive in the country.

Mr Shapps told Sky News: 'This is an extra check and we're doing this now because there are these variants that we're very keen to keep out of the country, like the South African variant, for example.

'There are the concerns about the South African one in particular about how effective the vaccine would be against it so we simply cannot take chances. So today because of that variant it has become much more urgent.'

Now I heard him say that so how am I talking bollox? Numpty.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

faldO wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:25 pm

I thought they said the opposite, at least from some preliminary research pending further investigation and peer review?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pfize ... 1610108542
You're quite correct faldo. I was just saying what I heard shapps say on sky TV. I didn't read or see the reports of what pfizer said yesterday as I was doing family things. I've since seen what they've said after yourself and mistletoe and wine posted.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:25 pm

So why did grant shapps say this then?

Amid international fears about the South African strain, thought to be at least 60 per cent more infectious than regular Covid, the UK has made it compulsory for travellers to test negative when they arrive in the country.

Mr Shapps told Sky News: 'This is an extra check and we're doing this now because there are these variants that we're very keen to keep out of the country, like the South African variant, for example.

'There are the concerns about the South African one in particular about how effective the vaccine would be against it so we simply cannot take chances. So today because of that variant it has become much more urgent.'

Now I heard him say that so how am I talking bollox? Numpty.
Shapps doesn't know his arse from his elbow?
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Maybe your right bonehead and I wouldn't argue against your point, but he said it and he is in government so you'd hope they speak with a bit of knowledge and authority.😁
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I don't believe you're this thick and so assume you're on a wind up. Unless Grant Schapps other alter ego is actually the entire corporate entity of Pfizer and when he says 'we don't know if it covers against this new variant', he means 'we now know it's not covered by my vaccine'.

Stop posting bollox.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:28 pm Maybe your right bonehead and I wouldn't argue against your point, but he said it and he is in government so you'd hope they speak with a bit of knowledge and authority.😁
Why? Why would you think anyone in this government knows what they're talking about, especially Shapps. He's decidedly dodgy. See below:-

"In 2012, Google blacklisted 19 of the Shapps's business websites for violating rules on copyright infringement related to the web scraping-based TrafficPayMaster software sold by them. Shapps's web marketing business's 20/20 Challenge publication also drew criticism. It cost $497 and promised customers earnings of $20,000 in 20 days. Upon purchase, the "toolkit" was revealed to be an ebook, advising the user to create their own toolkit and recruit 100 "Joint Venture Partners" to resell it for a share of the profits."
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:33 pm
I don't believe you're this thick and so assume you're on a wind up. Unless Grant Schapps other alter ego is actually the entire corporate entity of Pfizer and when he says 'we don't know if it covers against this new variant', he means 'we now know it's not covered by my vaccine'.

Stop posting bollox.
Mostly agree, but I think he may well be this thick.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

BoniO wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:35 pm

Stop posting bollox.
Yep I must be thick, cos the brains inside my skull allowed me to retire mid 40's yep you must be right.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:46 pm

Stop posting bollox.
Yep I must be thick, cos the brains inside my skull allowed me to retire mid 40's yep you must be right.
Were you and tuffers buddies during your Mensa days?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Stop posting bollox.
The ability to make money isn't linked in any way to intelligence, and the fact I need to explain that kind of proves the point.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:49 pm

Were you and tuffers buddies during your Mensa days?
Nope cos my score was below the genius level he's at as my 149 score is not high enough for people like tugboat tuffers.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

BoniO wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:58 pm

The ability to make money isn't linked in any way to intelligence, and the fact I need to explain that kind of proves the point.
Err id day it is as how can you forfil a role if your not clever enough?

For example i fancy being a molecular scientist, in fact ill go and get a job doing that on Monday. Oh hang on, actually I am probably not clever enough to do that. So yes intelligence is linked to ability to do a job.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:01 pm
BoniO wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:58 pm

Err id day it is as how can you forfil a role if your not clever enough?

For example i fancy being a molecular scientist, in fact ill go and get a job doing that on Monday. Oh hang on, actually I am probably not clever enough to do that. So yes intelligence is linked to ability to do a job.
How did you make your pile then?
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Working smart as well as hard.