Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:17 pm
Lovejoy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:46 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:41 pm

All of them?
Just some!
I get yer 😉
Of course you do!

I’m outta here.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

BoniO wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:09 pm Yup, all the racists are joining in now. So we have government apologists, racists and pandemic deniers. I think that's the Full House now. This place really is a cesspit.
Why racist?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Warnings issued for the Ilford comments.

Fancy your third strike for your inevitable ban Oiram?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Oiram wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:13 pm
BoniO wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:09 pm Yup, all the racists are joining in now. So we have government apologists, racists and pandemic deniers. I think that's the Full House now. This place really is a cesspit.
Why racist?
I don’t understand how posting something factual can be deemed as racist. Perhaps if these issues were addressed correctly and without insult then the pandemic would not be so bad.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 pm
Why racist?
I don’t understand how posting something factual can be deemed as racist. Perhaps if these issues were addressed correctly and without insult then the pandemic would not be so bad.
I’m surprised you can’t spot racist things.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

We are second in the league in getting the vaccine out. This has been no easy task, credit should be given when due. This has been a great achievement by the Oxford Team in such a short period of time. I would personally put my trust in the Oxford jab above the Pfizer not that I would not have the latter.

If we can get people vaccinated en masse we will be in a fantastic position to boost the economy and lead from the front to assist other countries.
The Government has been subject to much criticism, some justified , some not. The Government did not make this vaccine, British scientist did and should be admired and congratulated.
Last edited by Oiram on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Ornchurch wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 pm
Why racist?
Its your nudge nudge wink wink comments after that are the racist bits. There are predominately white areas with similar high rates of infection, so you're not onto anything.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

I agree the roll out has started pretty well and numbers will increase week on week from here on in as the Oxford Vaccine start to become readily available. The top four target groups should have had their jabs by Mid Feb and then onto other vulnerable groups over the following weeks. Still some questions need to be asked - Why have India been able to built up a stock of 50 million doses of the Oxford Jab and we only had 530,000 stocks on Monday. Why didn't someone do a supply chain analysis and order more vials for the Oxford Jab, why are some 80+ year olds having to make 60 mile round trip to be vaccinated? The government have had months to put this all in place.

There is still alot more that can be done to stop the virus spreading because while we are all being asked to stay indoors and social distance we continue to allow all and sundry (except South Africa) to come into our ports and airports without tests or temperature checks.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:02 pm
JimbO wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 pm
Just feel sorry for the kids they will now have have the equivalent of half a year out of the classroom.

We're stocking up a whole load of problems for the education system for years to come as well.

Also quite angry with myself for voting in the clown cos I wanted Brexit sorted. I knew he was incompetent political half wit from when he was mayor and should have gone with my better judgement.
Fair play for being honest with yourself. I suspect that, notwithstanding any opinions about the credibility of the opposition at the time, there's plenty more feeling the same as you are are just not willing to admit it yet. As someone else has alluded to further up this thread, if the government messes up the vaccine roll-out then that should be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

My daughter was due to take her A-Levels this year, so am absolutely gutted for her. She's received offers from top universities, and is due to find out if she has a place at Oxford next week. But all of this will be based on expected exam results, which are all now up in the air. I'd like to say that I'm shocked that the DoE doesn't already have contingency plans in place for exam disruption given what happened last year, but I'm not.
Good luck to your daughter Dunners.

My daughter had to endure the ridiculous algorythm fiasco last year before getting more realistic A level grades allocated via teachers predicted grades/mock exam assesment - but she suffered a lot of stress inbetween times - She was actually devasted at not doing the exams - 13 years getting to that point and no A level exams is a complete anti climax.The government were a complete shambles (no surprise).

My son was due to have his GCSEs this year so will be interested to hear what is being proposed, He had his practice mocks before Christmas but we told him to treat them as a proper exam because of what happened last year. What I would say is that as useless as the government were the Uni's were brilliant and reassuring. I'm sure they will be again. So good luck to your daughter I really hope she is accepted at Oxford.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:16 am
My daughter was due to take her A-Levels this year, so am absolutely gutted for her. She's received offers from top universities, and is due to find out if she has a place at Oxford next week. But all of this will be based on expected exam results, which are all now up in the air. I'd like to say that I'm shocked that the DoE doesn't already have contingency plans in place for exam disruption given what happened last year, but I'm not.

My daughter had to endure the ridiculous algorythm fiasco last year before getting more realistic A level grades allocated via teachers predicted grades/mock exam assesment - but she suffered a lot of stress inbetween times - She was actually devasted at not doing the exams - 13 years getting to that point and no A level exams is a complete anti climax.The government were a complete shambles (no surprise).

My son was due to have his GCSEs this year so will be interested to hear what is being proposed, He had his practice mocks before Christmas but we told him to treat them as a proper exam because of what happened last year. What I would say is that as useless as the government were the Uni's were brilliant and reassuring. I'm sure they will be again. So good luck to your daughter I really hope she is accepted at Oxford.
Cheers mate. It sounds like it's going to be teacher assessments, with some form of independent moderation. I think that, considering the alternatives, that's probably as good as we can hope for right now.

My daughter is also devastated. Unlike me, she's actually quite smart and academic and was aiming for 3 A*s, and had a learning plan to get her from her current estimated grades to what she needed to achieve. It's the fact that she has almost no control over what happens next that is most upsetting, and will be relying on what somebody else thinks she may have achieved.

Hope your daughter is doing okay, and good luck to your son in his GCSEs.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

The NHS has clearly not set up a quick passage for vaccinations. There are 11,400 pharmacies that do flu jabs that have been kept out of the loop. Even though they have known for months that we were going to need to roll out quickly. Oh, hang on, they just want to keep the £12.59 per vaccine given within the NHS.

One can only despair.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Obviously, the horse has long since bolted , but is it not beyond comprehension that you can still enter the UK without the need for a negative test. Surely that should have been introduced in March.
I noticed that Lando Norris has tested positive in Dubai. The same country from where , in the following days , thousands of Londoners will be travelling back from without the requirement to isolate once back , or produce a negative test.
And Boris is still dithering over bringing the most simple restrictions in.
Am I missing something ?
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Still's Carenae wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:36 am The NHS has clearly not set up a quick passage for vaccinations. There are 11,400 pharmacies that do flu jabs that have been kept out of the loop. Even though they have known for months that we were going to need to roll out quickly. Oh, hang on, they just want to keep the £12.59 per vaccine given within the NHS.

One can only despair.
And why are testing centres now not vaccination centres. Is there any point continuing to test. We are all isolating now anyway. Surely it would be better to change the use of these centres now.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

BoniO wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:38 pm 60,916 new cases today - 830 deaths. Can all the idiots/wummers on here who play down this pandemic just do one.
I second that.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

George wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:21 am Obviously, the horse has long since bolted , but is it not beyond comprehension that you can still enter the UK without the need for a negative test. Surely that should have been introduced in March.
I noticed that Lando Norris has tested positive in Dubai. The same country from where , in the following days , thousands of Londoners will be travelling back from without the requirement to isolate once back , or produce a negative test.
And Boris is still dithering over bringing the most simple restrictions in.
Am I missing something ?
The natives are restless.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:29 am
Top of the JES wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:16 am

Cheers mate. It sounds like it's going to be teacher assessments, with some form of independent moderation. I think that, considering the alternatives, that's probably as good as we can hope for right now.

My daughter is also devastated. Unlike me, she's actually quite smart and academic and was aiming for 3 A*s, and had a learning plan to get her from her current estimated grades to what she needed to achieve. It's the fact that she has almost no control over what happens next that is most upsetting, and will be relying on what somebody else thinks she may have achieved.

Hope your daughter is doing okay, and good luck to your son in his GCSEs.
Thanks Dunners - Keep us updated re Oxford and her results, she sounds like a bright girl. My daughter got 2 A's and 2 A*s after teacher assesment after being algorythmed as 2 A's and 2 B's, I will never forget the tears when she opened the envelope - I was so angry. But turned out well, she is now doing a Masters in Chemistry at Southampton and despite these Covid times she is loving Uni life - Sure your Girl will too.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:51 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Fair play for being honest with yourself. I suspect that, notwithstanding any opinions about the credibility of the opposition at the time, there's plenty more feeling the same as you are are just not willing to admit it yet. As someone else has alluded to further up this thread, if the government messes up the vaccine roll-out then that should be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

"If the government messes up the vaccine roll out"

:lol:
:( I know, I know.

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Supply
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

The confusing messaging around spacing out the vaccine shots in a way that isn't backed up by any data and talk of mix and matching the vaccines seems like an easy way to discourage uptake.

Obviously rolling out the vaccine is very complex, but why have they once again set themselves targets they know they will not meet? Are they completely incapable of learning from their mistakes?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It really is a perfect case study in how not to do expectation management, isn't it?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:05 am talk of mix and matching the vaccines seems like an easy way to discourage uptake.
This stemmed from a NYT article that the BMJ has asked them to correct as it is not true.

Probably best not to spread false rumours about vaccine safety further.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

My point is on messaging, not whether it is recommended or not.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Mr Blair thinks we could roll out a lot faster

How hard can it be?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:20 am My point is on messaging, not whether it is recommended or not.
The only mix and match messaging is coming from anti vaxxers and fringe MPs who saw the headline and thought "That fits my narrative".

Yes it's unhelpful to the broader vaccine message/uptake and therefore wise not to disseminate it further on here.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

My parents got the 2nd jag yesterday, against my expectations that they'd be cancelled. It seems that it would have been too complex to cancel all the folk scheduled at such short notice, so they just went ahead and gave the 2nd dose as originally planned.

Expectation management throughout the whole pandemic has been utterly laughable. From Hancock's ridiculous target setting for testing (sorry - testing capacity) right up to present. It has to be deliberate, as otherwise they just signal complete inability to learn. I know that it's the modern way to be ambitious, and to set ambitious targets and above all to be positive - they teach that on day one at all the "middle management for stupid but ambitious people" courses, but the public eventually sees through the spin.