Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

StonewallerMag wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:02 am Hi guys!

Just dropping in to say we have a feature on Tommy Johnston in our latest magazine! Barley Nimmo who produced Ori-Ori-Orient wrote the piece and its really cool just dropping in in case you are interested!

Here is the link to our mag if you are:

https://www.stonewallermag.co.uk/produc ... e-number-2

Cheers guys and stay safe!
Boarder or the year
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Thor wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:02 am
faldO wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:03 pm
Thor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:10 pm So the mortality rate has now hit 0.01% of the total population. Still need that vaccine?
Vaccines are needed for a variety of reasons, not just to avoid death.

In the UK deaths as a percentage of population are around 0.1%, and the number of people who catch covid and die in the UK is 2-3%, depending on how it's measured.

Clearly the situation in many places including the UK, Europe, USA, is much more serious than some other places in the world, so the 0.01% number for the world population as a whole - which I assume is what you're referring to - is a pointless benchmark in determining whether vaccinations are a sensible strategy for a country.
No sorry it’s the UK I am referring to. 67k deaths verses a 67m population which equals 0.1%
But we know it doesn't impact people equally across age group, so a total population based figure tells us nothing.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

The vaccine wont work now, despite what were hearing on News at Ten.
The spike protein has changed, and the vaccine is based on the spike protein
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:41 am The vaccine wont work now, despite what were hearing on News at Ten.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

You are an idiot DCC, although i knew that years ago
You dont know what my field of work was, you dont know who i know in the world of science and medicine, yet you mock, and i notice your alta ego SF, likes your post
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Thor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:02 pm
It’s interesting that the spike appears to be around the areas where we have our main hub airports and sea ports. So it would appear that it was brought here by others and were we just the first to spot it?
I suppose there's just an outside chance that the areas where we have our hub airports and sea ports are the areas of the country with the big population concentrations, and the virus spreads best among concentrated populations.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Hardly watched the news recently so apologies if it's been discussed ad nauseum already but rumours and hearsay are that the main difference and concern with the new strain is the spread amongst and from even young children, although thankfully they still don't seem to have anything other than mild symptoms. Schools starting to prepare for online learning after Christmas, which obviously won't actually be announced until 5 to 9 on the morning they're due back.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:59 am You are an idiot DCC, although i knew that years ago
You dont know what my field of work was, you dont know who i know in the world of science and medicine, yet you mock, and i notice your alta ego SF, likes your post
Post your source for this new information - then we can all make up our own minds who the idiots are.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Nope. Can't be arsed with it.
Last edited by PoliticOs on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ooh, the masks slips and PoliticOs finally drops the "Mr Nice & Reasonable" act.

Looking forward to the big reveal on who's behind this alias. Definitely not Max or Ronnie (the writing quality is too high).
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

It's a proper moronic statement as well. We haven't had 100% of people infected. It's like saying 'why do we need controls on people owning tanks, ZERO percent of the population died last year from tank related injuries.'

Whatever wind up he's on, it's a weird one.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dunners wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:40 pm Ooh, the masks slips and PoliticOs finally drops the "Mr Nice & Reasonable" act.

Looking forward to the big reveal on who's behind this alias. Definitely not Max or Ronnie (the writing quality is too high).
It's Bleedsred isn't it?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It would certainly fit. Although I've not ruled it out being a lower ranking boarder.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

It won't be a lower ranking boarder (even one of the ones that does good writing).
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:59 am You are an idiot DCC, although i knew that years ago
I liked it because your bizarre post got the response it deserved, And five people have liked that post, not just me.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:00 pm
I liked it because your bizarre post got the response it deserved, And five people have liked that post, not just me.
You're still a bell end though
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

I wish the doctor/scientist on covid
Who wore the O's top on bbc brekfast
Was on here .
🤔
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:02 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:00 pm
You're still a bell end though
Maybe I am, but that's still massively better than what you are as evidenced by your daily brainfarts.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:05 pm I wish the doctor/scientist on covid
Was on here .
🤔
Who says they are not though? Several candidates imho who clearly claim to be able to wield a Bunsen and who claim to have more knowledge than the vaccine developers themselves are posting in this thread. I await the great unveiling in due course and the continued persecution of the innocent.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:05 pm I wish the doctor/scientist on covid
Was on here .
🤔
Was he carrying a Palestine flag in one hand and a copy of David Irving in the other?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:50 am
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:41 am The vaccine wont work now, despite what were hearing on News at Ten.
From the BBC : Covid jab 'very likely' to protect against new variant, though could be re-engineered in 6 weeks if needed. Obviously must be wrong though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55410574
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Couple of observations:-

The scientist who first claimed the new strain of Covid is up to 70% more contagious is I believe from the same scientific group who said we would be having 4,000 deaths a day by early December. I think I will wait until other groups come back with more considered research.

While cases have risen, when you look at what should be a stable method of analysis like comparing positive cases against tests completed they have not risen very much. That said IMHO the method of reporting is still really suspect with figures posted days ago changing on a daily basis almost like they dont really know whats going on.

From what I have seen in my part of Essex the increase in cases is being largely but not entirely driven by secondary pupils and teachers contracting Covid at school and spreading it at home, I would'nt be at all surprised to see the numbers even out or fall in early January not because of tier4 restrictions but because the schools would have been out for two weeks. There is no way Schools should go back in January and exams should be scrapped because it's going to be another mess of a Spring and Summer if they are not.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

What should be done with school kids?
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:38 pm What should be done with school kids?
Good question but if they are spreading virus and now susceptible to this new mutated version they may need to isolate to stop infection. The parents will be first to protest if they were infected due to inaction by HM Govt.

As a substantial amount of people will not be working then they can parent their children and the imminent holidays is a convenient time. No easy answer to this as the Govt. are damned if they do or do not.

Hopefully extra financial support will be provided to those who need it and not the wealthy who I personally have been made aware of, applying for loans and grants they brazenly admit to not needing but ‘like to have it in the bank as I’m entitled to it’. I have told them what I think of their attitude in no uncertain terms.
Last edited by Oiram on Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:38 pm What should be done with school kids?
Back to remote learning for January and possibly Feb, it would help to deep clean schools and reassess in February. Jan-Feb are the two worst months for coronavirus transmission schools are just going to be giant petri dishes. My sons year have already had to self isolate three times in the last few months and it's been much the same in the other year groups.