Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Thor »

How many people are being tested each day right now? I can’t recall that number being advised for quite a while now. Is this “new strain” due to increased testing in the south east? If it’s mutated then surely it’s power reduces as it tries to infect more people rather than kill them as that’s self defeating for the virus? Will it eventually just die off like the Spanish flu did? Finally if it’s mutated then it’s possinle that the vaccine won’t work, like the flu jab has to change each year, will this be the same as it’s from the same family of virus?
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

This is an interesting article concerning the politicisation, corruption and suppression of science.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4425
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So Neil Ferguson was part of the group that has given us this 70% more infectious strain. So this new strain is a lie then? Maybe it’s just normal flu has arrived? I don’t believe nor trust Ferguson with anything he says.

Carl Heneghan, Professor of Evidence Based Medicine at Oxford University's Nuffield Department of Primary Care, expressed scepticism over the 70 per cent figure. He said: 'I've been doing this job for 25 years and I can tell you can't establish a quantifiable number in such a short time frame.'

He added 'every expert is saying it's too early to draw such an inference'.

Professor Heneghan said there was no doubt this time of the year, the 'height of the viral season', was a difficult time for the NHS. But he said failure to put out the basis of the figures was undermining public trust.

So he’s broke cover to undermine the lies we are potentially being told about this new strain. Why won’t the government provide us with the evidence?

Is it to cover up Brexit? Is it part of separate - isolate - demand compliance? Is it to cover up the side effects of the vaccine? Funny how the Oxford vaccine is about to be approved, could it be another way to force us to take the experimental drug?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

It’s to make it seem like they were forced into making a Christmas u turn ‘guys, what else could we do - you know, new deadly strain and all that’

Virus’ mutate, it’s how they survive.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

I do also think it would be a good way of getting more people vaccinated as well...
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Er... this freight ban could be a problem.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Thor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:45 am So Neil Ferguson was part of the group that has given us this 70% more infectious strain. So this new strain is a lie then? Maybe it’s just normal flu has arrived? I don’t believe nor trust Ferguson with anything he says.

Carl Heneghan, Professor of Evidence Based Medicine at Oxford University's Nuffield Department of Primary Care, expressed scepticism over the 70 per cent figure. He said: 'I've been doing this job for 25 years and I can tell you can't establish a quantifiable number in such a short time frame.'

Professor Heneghan said there was no doubt this time of the year, the 'height of the viral season', was a difficult time for the NHS. But he said failure to put out the basis of the figures was undermining public trust.

So he’s broke cover to undermine the lies we are potentially being told about this new strain. Why won’t the government provide us with the evidence?

Is it to cover up Brexit? Is it part of separate - isolate - demand compliance? Is it to cover up the side effects of the vaccine? Funny how the Oxford vaccine is about to be approved, could it be another way to force us to take the experimental drug?
Of course it’s a load of old bollox. The virus has mutated previously. This mutation has apparently been around for 3 months.

The reason they’re telling us about it now is so we all blame the new (3 month old) virus for Xmas being cancelled, and not the tories’ incompetence. Everything they do is to deflect any blame from themselves.

And worst of all, because they’ve gone so strong with this message of Deadly New (3 month old) Virus, the rest of Europe have got wobbly and cut us off. The impending pain at the stores is again all because of the tories lies and mismanagement.

Still, anyone but Corbyn, hey.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:49 am
Thor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:45 am So Neil Ferguson was part of the group that has given us this 70% more infectious strain. So this new strain is a lie then? Maybe it’s just normal flu has arrived? I don’t believe nor trust Ferguson with anything he says.

Of course it’s a load of old bollox. The virus has mutated previously. This mutation has apparently been around for 3 months.

The reason they’re telling us about it now is so we all blame the new (3 month old) virus for Xmas being cancelled, and not the tories’ incompetence. Everything they do is to deflect any blame from themselves.

And worst of all, because they’ve gone so strong with this message of Deadly New (3 month old) Virus, the rest of Europe have got wobbly and cut us off. The impending pain at the stores is again all because of the tories lies and mismanagement.

Still, anyone but Corbyn, hey.
Far be it for me to deflect from this government's incompetence, but it's my understanding that:

1. The new strain was detected about 3 months ago.

2. But it was not immediately apparent how this mutation would effect the virus.

3. Like most mutations, it has to be observed for some time before any effects can be determined.

4. Thus, it is only recently that UK laboratories have confirmed that the new strain is more easily transmitted.

5. The above version of events has been corroborated by enough independent medical experts to satisfy me that this has not been deliberately timed by the Government.

6. Given the above, Johnson should have made the call on tougher restrictions about 4 days earlier than he did.

7. To it's credit, the government has cooperated with WHO and international partners to keep them appraised of everything. The closing of boarders in reaction to this is what is supposed to happen. Perhaps if China had behaved in the same way we all wouldn't be in this mess right now.

8. But, a big question is; if this is the appropriate response, then why has the government not imposed Teir 4 across the whole country? The new strain will have almost certainly seeded elsewhere already, so this is a decision that will impact on NHS services in coming weeks and affect lives.

As I said, the above is based on my understanding, which I accept may be incorrect, so happy to be put right on any points I am unsure of.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

It’s all backfired spectacularly on the incompetent Tory lot.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Gives credit to the Government, and blames China. Oh dunnem :cry:
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

70% MORE TRANSMITTABLE.

Are people buying this?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 am 70% MORE TRANSMITTABLE.

Are people buying this?
Given that "they" can't give an exact measure for the "R" rate at any one time - it's always given as a range, e.g. 1.2 - 1.4 - then it does appear extraordinary that such an accurate (and headline grabbing) number can be arrived at so quickly.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Are people buying this?
Yes. They've won mate. I don't know what to think any more.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:21 am

Are people buying this?
Yes. They've won mate. I don't know what to think any more.
Just keep prolonging the agony by listening to David Icke instead of your elected Government.
Hope you asked Santa for a turquoise coloured tracksuit?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

A quick google on 'new virus 70%' and you'll see it's being reported all around the world as fact.

(Other than Australia who have said it's a load of old bollox).
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

What an absolute act of insanity it was to not ask for a transition extension in the summer. Aside from the most out there brexiteers, no-one would have criticised them for giving themselves more breathing space to see off this crisis and then address Brexit after. In their no deal planning, they explicitly talked about black swan events being a major risk to how the country could handle transition from single market membership to having tarrifs crop up overnight. This is totally self inflicted.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

" Far be it for me to deflect from this government's incompetence, but it's my understanding that:

1. The new strain was detected about 3 months ago.
2. But it was not immediately apparent how this mutation would effect the virus.
3. Like most mutations, it has to be observed for some time before any effects can be determined.
4. Thus, it is only recently that UK laboratories have confirmed that the new strain is more easily transmitted.
5. The above version of events has been corroborated by enough independent medical experts to satisfy me that this has not been deliberately timed by the Government.
6. Given the above, Johnson should have made the call on tougher restrictions about 4 days earlier than he did.
7. To it's credit, the government has cooperated with WHO and international partners to keep them appraised of everything. The closing of boarders in reaction to this is what is supposed to happen. Perhaps if China had behaved in the same way we all wouldn't be in this mess right now.
8. But, a big question is; if this is the appropriate response, then why has the government not imposed Teir 4 across the whole country? The new strain will have almost certainly seeded elsewhere already, so this is a decision that will impact on NHS services in coming weeks and affect lives.

As I said, the above is based on my understanding, which I accept may be incorrect, so happy to be put right on any points I am unsure of."
[/quote]

This … and, there is no evidence that I can see that says it originated in the UK. The strain we have endured throughout the summer was variant no.2 I recall that originated in eastern Europe as it moved across the planet.

The only way to have contained C-19 was for 7 billion people to go into 100%, 8 week lockdown. And, right, that was gonna happen!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Are people buying this?
Probably a bollox figure, much like 4000 deaths a day.

What are they really scared of? Is it NHS being overwhelmed and bodies piling up or something else?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:27 am A quick google on 'new virus 70%' and you'll see it's being reported all around the world as fact.

(Other than Australia who have said it's a load of old bollox).
Leading German virologist Christian Drosten has said he expects the new strain of Covid-19 discovered in the UK to be already in circulation in Germany, but that he was “everything but worried” about the viral mutation at the moment.

Speaking to broadcaster Deutschlandfunk on Monday morning, Drosten said the scientific data around the new N501Y mutation was still “unclear”. The internationally renowned coronavirus expert said claims that the strain was 70% more transmissible were likely an estimate for now, which still needed to be verified by British scientists over the course of this week.

“The question is: is this virus being washed up by a coming new wave in that region [in Ssouth-east England], or is this virus responsible for creating this wave in the first place”, Drosten said. “That’s an important difference”.

Drosten noted that the viral strain had also been detected in other countries, like the Netherlands, where it didn’t appear to have multiplied in a significantly more rapid way. “I am open to new scientific insights, and in science there are always surprises, but I am everything but worried in this respect”.

Germany has banned all passenger flights from the UK to Germany as of midnight on Sunday, with the country’s federal police warning that people should only travel to the UK “if it is absolutely necessary”.

Strange it is more infectious in this country compared to others...
Last edited by Rich Tea Wellin on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Oiram wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:24 am
Max B Gold wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:21 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 am
Just keep prolonging the agony by listening to David Icke instead of your elected Government.
Hope you asked Santa for a turquoise coloured tracksuit?
The Elected govt
Who lied to the courts
Who lied to the People
Who lied To Queen Liz

That elected govt ya mean ?
🤣😂
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

So, this 70% more transmittable, new (4 month old), deadly, mutant, super-strain could be true (but remember, it's no more deadly so only panic a bit, do not panic too much).

Or it could be a load of old bollox.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:04 am

Are people buying this?
Probably a bollox figure, much like 4000 deaths a day.

What are they really scared of? Is it NHS being overwhelmed and bodies piling up or something else?
I'm certain it is the NHS being overwhelmed, without wishing to go all thor the people I know who work there believe that's the case.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:56 am
and, there is no evidence that I can see that says it originated in the UK. The strain we have endured throughout the summer was variant no.2 I recall that originated in eastern Europe as it moved across the planet.

The only way to have contained C-19 was for 7 billion people to go into 100%, 8 week lockdown. And, right, that was gonna happen!
Spot on.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

What I will say is that this balls up - blaming cancelling xmas on the new deadly virus, rather than their own f*** ups in the past, which has made Europe go all twitchy - would not have happened under Cummings.

Bring Back Dom.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.c ... a-11976380

Coronavirus: Scientists in China find 33 mutations
of virus in warning to vaccine developers .

-----------

Its been known to be mutating massively from the beginning