Tory Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Tory Watch

Post by Thor »

PoliticOs wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:58 pm
Oiram wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:37 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:50 pm

Why are you so unpatriotic that you do not want to address the problems in the country and only focus on the positives?

I love the country so much I want it to be much better. Why don't you love it that much?

Unpatriotic? Having served The Queen and Country for many years. Wrong person to be saying that to as my conscience is clear in the Patriotic’ Department.
Great stuff, a fellow patriot. Thank you. But I'm obviously a bit more patriotic as I really want us to be better and am therefore willing to look at the negatives in the country and put those right rather than just focus on the things needing less attention and that are already OK. That's not me talking down the country, that is me talking it UP, as I want it to be greater.

That's how it works, right?
I get what Oiram is saying and it will take a lot to turn this around and get things moving forwards once more, I do have every faith in this government to provide the foundation for that to happen and it will happen.

However, it cannot be at the expense of leaving anyone behind, we have a real opportunity to reset this country and give everyone the help and support to succeed be it at work, in health, housing or whatever. Putting the economy at full steam ahead must ensure that everyone is on the same train.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

PoliticOs wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:50 pm

Why are you so unpatriotic that you do not want to address the problems in the country and only focus on the positives?

I love the country so much I want it to be much better. Why don't you love it that much?

Unpatriotic? Having served The Queen and Country for many years. Wrong person to be saying that to as my conscience is clear in the Patriotic’ Department.
Great stuff, a fellow patriot. Thank you. But I'm obviously a bit more patriotic as I really want us to be better and am therefore willing to look at the negatives in the country and put those right rather than just focus on the things needing less attention and that are already OK. That's not me talking down the country, that is me talking it UP, as I want it to be greater.

Patriot my arse. Never even done a war, not like backwards mario.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Patriot my arse. Never even done a war, not like backwards mario.
Where did backwards say he was at war ?
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Thor wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 pm

I get what Oiram is saying and it will take a lot to turn this around and get things moving forwards once more, I do have every faith in this government to provide the foundation for that to happen and it will happen.

However, it cannot be at the expense of leaving anyone behind, we have a real opportunity to reset this country and give everyone the help and support to succeed be it at work, in health, housing or whatever. Putting the economy at full steam ahead must ensure that everyone is on the same train.
Will you be surprised if/when they do leave people behind?
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

PoliticOs wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:14 am

Will you be surprised if/when they do leave people behind?
The thing about everybody being on the same train is the problem of everyone getting on. Some just can’t be bothered to try even when the doors are open. Let’s provide the ramps and assistance for those that need it and want it. For those not bothered, they will be left behind. So let’s blame the train drivers.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Yeah, this government definitely give off indications that they won’t leave anyone behind.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Watching Thatcher portrayed on The Crown reminded me that she also wanted to “improve” the country 40 years ago. Pretty sure she didn’t succeed, and the social casualties were rife, but there’s no denying she changed it.

Don’t think Johnson and Co are quite so ideological as “no such thing as society” Thatch, but you sense the changes they are ramming through (or were, until covid forced them into temporary war communism mode) will also have longer term, negative consequences for us plebs.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

slacker wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:33 am Watching Thatcher portrayed on The Crown reminded me that she also wanted to “improve” the country 40 years ago. Pretty sure she didn’t succeed, and the social casualties were rife, but there’s no denying she changed it.

Don’t think Johnson and Co are quite so ideological as “no such thing as society” Thatch, but you sense the changes they are ramming through (or were, until covid forced them into temporary war communism mode) will also have longer term, negative consequences for us plebs.
And the worse part is they will never take responsibility. Covid has come at a good time for them, in that regard.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Dohnut wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:26 am
The thing about everybody being on the same train is the problem of everyone getting on. Some just can’t be bothered to try even when the doors are open. Let’s provide the ramps and assistance for those that need it and want it. For those not bothered, they will be left behind. So let’s blame the train drivers.
But we have so many that DO want help and DO need it and are NOT getting it. Why are you bringing those that don't want the help into it?

We do the same thing with things like disability benefits. People are so sh*t scared of people claiming for things they are not entitled to, we have forced a whole generation of disabled people into struggle and poverty all in case a statistically very small number of people take the piss. Why do we worry so much about those people that we ruin the lives of the deserving? Rather than thinking 'they need help! Let's help them' we think 'well, we need to be careful, what if this small number over there take the mick?'. It is backwards.

Very few people 'just can't be bothered'. I know you're doing your devils advocate/defend the government thing, but I think you're wrong here.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Bloody hell. What more would this government have to do to lose your faith?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

PoliticOs wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:51 am
Dohnut wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:26 am
But we have so many that DO want help and DO need it and are NOT getting it. Why are you bringing those that don't want the help into it?

We do the same thing with things like disability benefits. People are so sh*t scared of people claiming for things they are not entitled to, we have forced a whole generation of disabled people into struggle and poverty all in case a statistically very small number of people take the p*ss. Why do we worry so much about those people that we ruin the lives of the deserving? Rather than thinking 'they need help! Let's help them' we think 'well, we need to be careful, what if this small number over there take the mick?'. It is backwards.

Very few people 'just can't be bothered'. I know you're doing your devils advocate/defend the government thing, but I think you're wrong here.
This is correct there is a whole ideology created around the "undeserving poor" to ensure workers are fragmented even when being fed crumbs.

Why do claimants have to wait 5 weeks to receive Universal Credit? The answer is that the Tories have decided to punish claimants and make their lives even more difficult at a time of crisis.

The level of benefits paid does not compare with our near neighbours in France, Germany, Holland etc. How do these advanced industrial countries manage to look after their people so much better than the UK?

It's time for a non means tested Universal Income for all.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Just wandering what those on both sides of the political spectrum think of Labours decision to abstain from the vote on the tiers today.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

JimbO wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:04 pm Just wandering what those on both sides of the political spectrum think of Labours decision to abstain from the vote on the tiers today.
Starmer Out!

Little did we know then that Jeremy's leadership would come to be seen as a golden age.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

JimbO wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:04 pm Just wandering what those on both sides of the political spectrum think of Labours decision to abstain from the vote on the tiers today.
Corbyn was always a massive fence-sitter on key issues. I was hoping Starmer would perhaps be a little more opinionated. What does “not in the National interest to oppose” mean? He sort of agrees but has issues with some of the finer details.

Trying to have a foot in both camps. Hell.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dohnut wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm Corbyn was always a massive fence-sitter on key issues.
Yeah, he was well known for not wanting to rock any boats.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Yeah, abstaining should only happen when you have a vested interest in a particular outcome, or you haven't a clue what you're voting on. Neither of these apply in this scenario, which means Starmer is using the option to abstain for pure political positioning. And this is the second time he has done that now, so it's starting to become a habit.

I'm not impressed.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Apart from Brexit, I'm not really sure one of the many criticisms that can be levelled at Corbyn was an unwillingness to take a position on issues. That was kind of part of his problem.

Think the Labour position on this makes sense. They don't think there's enough support for those areas that are under more severe restrictions and the Tory party is splitting massively on it, so let them implode. No-one will care what Labours position was in 4 years time, but the damage it's doing to Johnson's leadership is permanent.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:14 pm
Dohnut wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm Corbyn was always a massive fence-sitter on key issues.
To be fair, him pledging to remain neutral during a second EU referendum campaign was a good attempt at scrambling up a fence upon which he could then sit.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Boris Johnson’s Brexit SELL OUT! Barnier gloats to EU – UK wants 60% of fish in own waters

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... son-latest

I do wonder if Boris & the Tories annouced the vaccine news
To obscure his brexit climb down?
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Dunners wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:18 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:14 pm
To be fair, him pledging to remain neutral during a second EU referendum campaign was a good attempt at scrambling up a fence upon which he could then sit.
But that was it though really, wasn't it? And it was the right move, even now.

Saying he was a fence-sitter is just wrong. He was and is many things but in comparison to Starmer?!
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

What position was it that everyone wanted Labour to have on tiers?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Real Al wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:28 am What position was it that everyone wanted Labour to have on tiers?
Labour are her majestys opposition .

They are there to challenge the decisions of
Her Maj's Govt aren't they ?

Isnt that how politics works ?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

slacker wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:33 am longer term, negative consequences for us plebs.
Says the millionaire :roll:
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:04 am
Real Al wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:28 am What position was it that everyone wanted Labour to have on tiers?
Labour are her majestys opposition .

They are there to challenge the decisions of
Her Maj's Govt aren't they ?

Isnt that how politics works ?
For some who claims to know how politics work you seem to struggle on how negotiations work.