Ramadan In The 21st Century

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Ramadan In The 21st Century

Post by Clive Evans »

I am going to be controversial here, but would like to open up a serious & sensible debate. This year Ramadan is falling in May/June. In the UK this is the period of maximum daylight hours. People who observe Ramadan, cease eating & often drinking too during daylight hours, unless they have a medical dispensation, and even then they often attempt to observe the fast. There is an article about this on the BBC website about a girl who says she gets ratty. Now I have a vested interest as, I lost my job because of this ( somebody else was fasting ). But are we happy that the bus or lorry driver has been driving all day long with nothing to eat? Or what about being treated by a doctor similarly starved? Teachers on their feet all day and so on. Being diabetic I know that low blood glucose can have a bad effect on your body. Often creeping up on you without you being aware. Anyone know if anyone has collected data on traffic accidents during Ramadan? My gut instinct tells me that this is a similar situation to the Asian grooming offences. Because of sensitivity to peoples Religion, Political Correctness and so on, it is perhaps a "no-go " area. Over to you guys. Please try and be objective. This is a serious thread.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Re: Ramadan In The 21st Century

Post by Buddy Manucci »

How did you lose your job?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

You mention Asian grooming offences, completely out of context, and you want a serious debate?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:02 am You mention Asian grooming offences, completely out of context, and you want a serious debate?
Seems to have set off your PC alarm, which proves his point really.
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

Also, do you have any views on Sikh motorcyclists not wearing helmets?
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

Why is a Leyton Orient message board slowly turning into a refuge for thinly veiled Islamophobia?

Really, really disappointing and I seriously hope the admins take appropriate action.

There is a wildly disproportionate amount of threads on this board about Islam, which is odd considering this is a football message board.

I note that the OP, like others on here, is quick to caveat his comment with the classic line of "I'm being controversial here" and suggesting that any stick he may get for his misplaced comments are simply the result of "political correctness". And indeed, we already see a member dismissing a very valid point against the original comment by claiming that a "PC alarm" has gone off.

I'm certain that the person who set up this message board did not do it so that this kind of behavior can flourish.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

You think its sensible for a person not to eat or drink for a day then?

Religious practices deserve to be called out for the nonsense that they are.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

West Side Story wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:37 am I am going to be controversial here, but would like to open up a serious & sensible debate. This year Ramadan is falling in May/June. In the UK this is the period of maximum daylight hours. People who observe Ramadan, cease eating & often drinking too during daylight hours, unless they have a medical dispensation, and even then they often attempt to observe the fast. There is an article about this on the BBC website about a girl who says she gets ratty. Now I have a vested interest as, I lost my job because of this ( somebody else was fasting ). But are we happy that the bus or lorry driver has been driving all day long with nothing to eat? Or what about being treated by a doctor similarly starved? Teachers on their feet all day and so on. Being diabetic I know that low blood glucose can have a bad effect on your body. Often creeping up on you without you being aware. Anyone know if anyone has collected data on traffic accidents during Ramadan? My gut instinct tells me that this is a similar situation to the Asian grooming offences. Because of sensitivity to peoples Religion, Political Correctness and so on, it is perhaps a "no-go " area. Over to you guys. Please try and be objective. This is a serious thread.
All the professions you mention get breaks especially bus and lorry drivers

Did you lose your job because your a complete twonk

Asking for a friend
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

WSS - so what do you expect to come out of this "serious discussion" then?

Do you think we should make it illegal not to have something to eat or drink? or are you wanting to dial that back a bit, and just make it illegal to drive a bus/practice medicine/teach if you're from a certain religion? (or are a vegan, or on a diet, or just don't eat much?)

Good luck with all that.

(or maybe Prestige's post was what you were really after?)
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

StillSpike wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:34 am WSS - so what do you expect to come out of this "serious discussion" then?

Do you think we should make it illegal not to have something to eat or drink? or are you wanting to dial that back a bit, and just make it illegal to drive a bus/practice medicine/teach if you're from a certain religion? (or are a vegan, or on a diet, or just don't eat much?)

Good luck with all that.

(or maybe Prestige's post was what you were really after?)
These people never want a "serious discussion".

They just want to claim that they are victims of "political correctness". This one couldn't even wait for a response before blurting out the line. He actually included it in his original post. It's really sad.
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

5 pages. Image
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:19 am Why is a Leyton Orient message board slowly turning into a refuge for thinly veiled Islamophobia?

Really, really disappointing and I seriously hope the admins take appropriate action.

There is a wildly disproportionate amount of threads on this board about Islam, which is odd considering this is a football message board.

I note that the OP, like others on here, is quick to caveat his comment with the classic line of "I'm being controversial here" and suggesting that any stick he may get for his misplaced comments are simply the result of "political correctness". And indeed, we already see a member dismissing a very valid point against the original comment by claiming that a "PC alarm" has gone off.

I'm certain that the person who set up this message board did not do it so that this kind of behavior can flourish.
There are far more threads on politics than Islam which is also odd considering that this is a football message board but I see no complaints about that.

I presume that you also have no issue with the term Gammon being thrown at certain people which if a similar term was thrown at a non white straight male would have you similarly over reacting?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

No one go on a diet without being expected to explain yourself!
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Any religion that kills animals for food by making them suffer a terrible death deserves all the ridicule it gets. f*** Em.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

You been Skyping with Morrissey again, Bera?
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

Ornchurch wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:41 am
Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:19 am Why is a Leyton Orient message board slowly turning into a refuge for thinly veiled Islamophobia?

There are far more threads on politics than Islam which is also odd considering that this is a football message board but I see no complaints about that.

I presume that you also have no issue with the term Gammon being thrown at certain people which if a similar term was thrown at a non white straight male would have you similarly over reacting?
I agree, there are way too many political threads on this board.

Nice bit of whataboutery there regarding the term gammon.

Why am I not remotely surprised that YOU are defending this tripe? The same person who throwing the "one rule for THEM, another rule for US" narrative. As I pointed out on that thread, the sad thing is that people like you genuinely can't see what is wrong with your attitude. Anybody who calls you out is just an example of "political correctness".

I expect this kind of cr*p on the Daily Mail comments section, not a Leyton Orient message board.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Makes my blood boil dunners. Its barbaric. That and people standing on the wrong side of an elevator.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:52 am

Why am I not remotely surprised that YOU are defending this tripe? The same person who throwing the "one rule for THEM, another rule for US" narrative. As I pointed out on that thread, the sad thing is that people like you genuinely can't see what is wrong with your attitude. Anybody who calls you out is just an example of "political correctness".

I expect this kind of cr*p on the Daily Mail comments section, not a Leyton Orient message board.
[/quote]

Don't give me the 'people like you' and 'your attitude' as you don't know me.

I like the way you dismiss things that you don't agree with as 'whataboutery'.

I'm just raising the point that making comments based on the difference in colour and religion brings people out in apparent outrage but mocking people based on a difference in political opinion is fine. Nice.

Personally I don't mind Ramadan as we quite often get a nice plate of grub from our neighbours when they break fast. :lol:
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

West Side Story wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:37 am I am going to be controversial here, but would like to open up a serious & sensible debate. This year Ramadan is falling in May/June. In the UK this is the period of maximum daylight hours. People who observe Ramadan, cease eating & often drinking too during daylight hours, unless they have a medical dispensation, and even then they often attempt to observe the fast. There is an article about this on the BBC website about a girl who says she gets ratty. Now I have a vested interest as, I lost my job because of this ( somebody else was fasting ). But are we happy that the bus or lorry driver has been driving all day long with nothing to eat? Or what about being treated by a doctor similarly starved? Teachers on their feet all day and so on. Being diabetic I know that low blood glucose can have a bad effect on your body. Often creeping up on you without you being aware. Anyone know if anyone has collected data on traffic accidents during Ramadan? My gut instinct tells me that this is a similar situation to the Asian grooming offences. Because of sensitivity to peoples Religion, Political Correctness and so on, it is perhaps a "no-go " area. Over to you guys. Please try and be objective. This is a serious thread.
People in relevant professions should make sure that fasting does not affect their ability to do their jobs. Personally, I am not aware of any cases where it would or has, but there probably are some.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Nice smooth implant of the "Asian grooming offences" as if that was already proven to be a cover up. Tommy Robinson would be proud of you mate. If you can get away with that bollocks without being challenged then you're half way there! I'd like to know what your vested interest is and how you lost your job because of another's fasting. Sure it would be enlightening.

If you were trying to open up a real debate, on a real topic I'd hope that you could give some solid examples where people's observance of Ramadan put lives at risk. The fact that you can't just shows that this was not your true intent.

So, apart from trying hard to stir up the rabid racists on the MB is there any point to this post?
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Is the OP proposing force feeding those who excise their right to choose not to eat during daylight hours?

A lovely tolerant approach?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Maybe you should try discussing things with people you disagree with rather than trying to shut them down like a fascist.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:08 pm
People in relevant professions should make sure that fasting does not affect their ability to do their jobs. Personally, I am not aware of any cases where it would or has, but there probably are some.
There are probably a few more instances where people's drinking, drug taking, parenting duties have all caused below par work performances the next day. In fact, I reckon these might just outnumber any Ramadan linked problems by a pretty enormous margin.....
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

Ornchurch wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:04 pm
Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:52 am

Don't give me the 'people like you' and 'your attitude' as you don't know me.

I like the way you dismiss things that you don't agree with as 'whataboutery'.

I'm just raising the point that making comments based on the difference in colour and religion brings people out in apparent outrage but mocking people based on a difference in political opinion is fine. Nice.

Personally I don't mind Ramadan as we quite often get a nice plate of grub from our neighbours when they break fast. :lol:
[/quote]

The fact that you can't see the difference between making fun of somebodies political position and having a pop at somebodies race/religion/ethnicity, explains a lot.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

It’s actually quite impressive, in this day and age where patience and determination to do something is a rare thing.

I’d never have the self control to do it. Maybe they can teach us a thing or two.