U.S Election

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Re: U.S Election

Post by StillSpike »

Trump only has to do 2 things.

1) NOT lose any of his current support
2) Reduce the numbers who will vote for Biden

To be honest, he's not going to lose any of his current base. Even if he went round each of their houses and shat on their kids they'd still support him - he upsets the libtards so well, they love it. The more he offends decent people, the better he's doing - he must be doing something right if [insert name of your most hated late night comic here] is outraged at his Debate performance.

The most likely effect is to turn a percentage of Dem and undecided voters OFF the whole idea of politics and voting. "Don't vote it'll only encourage them". The more the debates and campaign turn into a mud slinging circus - the more decent normal people decide it's just too awful to watch, let alone participate in, the fewer who will engage with the process and actually vote - and that suits him too.

I think he won bigly.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Trump sabotaged that “debate”, and that was a deliberate tactic. Sowing discord, confusion and uncommitted voter ennui is what he does.

Not sure that’s the right tactic with him behind in the polls and some States that can swing this. He needs to catch up by getting more voting for him in addition to the disenfranchisement/not bothering factor. Don’t think he would have achieved that last night.

The Biden/Harris slate doesn’t inspire me one bit, but it’s the Not-Trump alternative on offer (are there any other minor candidates that could make an impression on the big 2’s vote where it matters?), so it’ll have to do.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Put simply it is Bidens to lose
Last nights numbers show he has improved
He can compete . Trumps trolling will be his
downfall For the undecided.

The Senate will be Democrat as well if Trump doesnt change direction. Which is something no one is
sure he can do
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I'll be shocked if Trump wins. Just how bad can you do and still win an election?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The polls are still holding up for Biden. In fact, they are an almost exact switch of this time pre-Clinton/Trump. So I guess we are on for a Biden win. However, a lot can change between now and November.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Depressing shitshow. The idea of 4 more years of Trump is abhorrent but f*** me, them democrats have found a candidate who's going to give Donald a fair crack at it.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Amusing isn't it?

Given Biden was chosen, in the main from what I can see, for his favourable poll ratings against DT vs the rest of the Dem field
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:01 pm Amusing isn't it?

Given Biden was chosen, in the main from what I can see, for his favourable poll ratings against DT vs the rest of the Dem field
It is vaguely amusing, but only because it's so unbelievably sh*t. One day, future generations will hopefully look back on 2016 - ?? and ask how the f*** all this madness happened.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Admin wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:05 pm
Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:01 pm Amusing isn't it?

It is vaguely amusing, but only because it's so unbelievably sh*t. One day, future generations will hopefully look back on 2016 - ?? and ask how the f*** all this madness happened.
Blame the WOKE !!
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Other than, unsurprisingly, I'd have preferred him as a candidate - I would have loved to have seen Bernie go up against him last night. Think that would have been great to watch.

But yeah, two awful candidates. Anyone declaring either as genuinely good enough is just lying to themselves. I want Donny out, but my god this is the politics version of pulling at a disco at 3am when they lights come up. That'll do I guess.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

EliotNes » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:25 pm said

" The BBC’s obsession with US politics and elections surfaces again. Given it a separate tab on the Beeb website and already been the lead in one news bulletin. OMG 3 months of this. I’m bored already. I was in the US for the 1997 UK General Election campaign, it barely got a mention on CNN and ABC news, even the win by Blair didn’t get first mention in their bulletins. Anyways that’s my rant done. I’ll not say anymore until after the result.
So you don't think that an oafish, boorish thug V a geriatric to be Head of State to the richest and most powerful country in the World has much relevance to us in the UK? Maybe it's more a matter of you not thinking at all!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Will it really affect your life WSS?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:23 pm I'll be shocked if Trump wins. Just how bad can you do and still win an election?
We've got a PM who literally hid in a fridge on live TV.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

West Side Story wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:16 pm EliotNes » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:25 pm said

" The BBC’s obsession with US politics and elections surfaces again. Given it a separate tab on the Beeb website and already been the lead in one news bulletin. OMG 3 months of this. I’m bored already. I was in the US for the 1997 UK General Election campaign, it barely got a mention on CNN and ABC news, even the win by Blair didn’t get first mention in their bulletins. Anyways that’s my rant done. I’ll not say anymore until after the result.
So you don't think that an oafish, boorish thug V a geriatric to be Head of State to the richest and most powerful country in the World has much relevance to us in the UK? Maybe it's more a matter of you not thinking at all!
I dont think that the BBC had a seperate page for the U.S presidential Election
On there website in 1997 to be fair.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

It's the same kind of appeal as looking at an accident that just happened. You know you shouldn't but it's just so unexpected and inexplicable, you can't not watch.

It's plain strange that the Dems settled for Biden when almost any of the other candidates would have been better. Maybe by the time you get to his age you just know where all the bodies are buried.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

A good article on the debate last night from the
N.Y TIMES on the eorlds reaction .

Trump-Biden Debate Prompts Shock, Despair and, in China, Glee

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... n.amp.html
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

PW said :- Will it really affect your life WSS?

Well yes it can quite easily. I am old enough to remember 1962 when the Yanks had what the Ruskies thought was a boy as President. They built up a stockpile of nuclear missiles in Cuba. Kennedy was mature enough to call their bluff. But everyone at the time thought we were at the threshold of a nuclear holocaust. We know Trump has got no balls, but possibly no brain too. Who knows what could happen. Sleepy Joe is pathetic too & I could see Putin push him around. What if Russia tried to poke their noses in the Baltic States? We have troops there, you know?
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Two poor candidates. Seems a feature of modern politics.

Biden wont last for 4 years. Should be Trump vs the Biden running mate really.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Can you prove he wont last 4 years or do you have
One of those look into the future globes DoH ?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dunners wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:26 pm The polls are still holding up for Biden. In fact, they are an almost exact switch of this time pre-Clinton/Trump. So I guess we are on for a Biden win. However, a lot can change between now and November.
Trump will try to claim victory based on same day polling and disregard the mail in ballots that will need to be counted. We don't know how that ends because it's never happened before.

The country is f*cked. 40% of the country are blindly supporting a moron who openly talks about destroying their democratic system. He is actively encouraging voter intimidation and is egging on white supremacy groups, and that doesn't matter to nearly half of the voting electorate. I don't see how you really bounce back from that in a sustainable way, even if Biden gets in.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Mistadobalina wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:27 am

The country is f*cked. 40% of the country are blindly supporting a moron who openly talks about destroying their democratic system. He is actively encouraging voter intimidation and is egging on white supremacy groups, and that doesn't matter to nearly half of the voting electorate. I don't see how you really bounce back from that in a sustainable way, even if Biden gets in.
Sounds oddly familiar, doesn’t it?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Do the Yanks get so wound up by our elections?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

No, they're oblivious.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... ng-support

Found this piece interesting - on psychological factors which enable people to ignore experts and be seduced by a person who holds their attention and makes out that he can keep them safe from 'outside' threats.

For me, the longer-term solution is to create a society which reflects more on the covert forces it is subjected to. But of course, the people who exert those forces will do their level best to resist that.
Last edited by Wally Banter on Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Ornchurch wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 am Do the Yanks get so wound up by our elections?
When we were the dominant global power, absolutely.