Orient squad test positive for Covid

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Orient squad test positive for Covid

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:15 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 pm
Winchesterfan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:30 pm
Of course, you checked all your facts with reliable sources before making the above comments, didn’t you?

Just for my peace of mind where exactly did you get your information from and are you a qualified medic?
Let's looks at this objectively. A 'bug' is ravaging the squad during late summer, an unusual time for this sort of thing to happen and at a time coinciding with the start of a second wave of a pandemic. The fact Spurs paid for tests on Saturday suggests that no tests had been done in the days before, because otherwise you'd just use the results from those. In fact, it wouldn't suprise me if Spurs took that decision after the pre game comments were brought to their attention.

Meanwhile, the club decided not to report this unusual bug affecting numerous players during a pandemic or respond to it with any testing. They brushed it off as not coronavirus and were proved wrong spectacularly.

Sorry, this makes us look really amateur.
As it does the E.F.L .

How can a governing body say you dont need testing .
Spen made a point about no one at hus work & others
get tested , but they should all be socially distanced .

How can you do that from a free kick in fornt of your goal
or from a corner kick , let alone just defending & marking your man.

It is genuinely the fault of the EFL & its guidance.
But just because the EFL say tests are not compulsory then that's no reason not to do some when numerous players in your squad come down with a bug during a pandemic.

You're bang on about social distancing not being possible when training or playing though. It was only a few fays ago that we were chuckling about that 37-0 score in the socially distanced game.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Winchesterfan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 pm
Of course, you checked all your facts with reliable sources before making the above comments, didn’t you?

Just for my peace of mind where exactly did you get your information from and are you a qualified medic?
The Guardian article posted above, seeing as there’s no other information about and it references comments from the club that haven’t been made publicly
9 f*cking players all ill in the last week and club/medical staff didn’t think it was Covid?
That is your version of what was actually stated in that wonderful factual, biased, leftie newspaper. You can twist anything to make it suite your agenda why do you hate orient and it’s management so much?
I’ll make it easy for you because you seem a bit simple.

At the time Embleton stressed it was “not a Covid issue for any of us to worry about” and after the game he revealed that as many as “nine players” were struggling to play because of a “bug”. Orient’s doctor and head physio conducted regular medical checks and are understood to have felt comfortable the symptoms reported by players were unrelated to Covid-19 until last Friday, when it became apparent a couple of players were suffering from symptoms linked to the virus.

‘9 players’ are in quote marks, that means it’s a direct quote. It’s also in the same sentence as RE saying ‘it’s not a covid issue’. Therefore, those quotes are attributes to RE. Whether you want to believe the next part or not is up to you but either those 9 players were tested and the tests came back negative or they weren’t tested and the medical staff waited until the Friday before they realised it could be covid. Which then begs the question, why was the game on Saturday played?

I don’t hate the club or have an agenda (unlike you, with the Guardian). These players, RE and the fans could potentially not get to be involved with a big game for the club and the club go without a lot of TV money. Everyone loses because of a wrong decision.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:22 pm

Let's looks at this objectively. A 'bug' is ravaging the squad during late summer, an unusual time for this sort of thing to happen and at a time coinciding with the start of a second wave of a pandemic. The fact Spurs paid for tests on Saturday suggests that no tests had been done in the days before, because otherwise you'd just use the results from those. In fact, it wouldn't suprise me if Spurs took that decision after the pre game comments were brought to their attention.

Meanwhile, the club decided not to report this unusual bug affecting numerous players during a pandemic or respond to it with any testing. They brushed it off as not coronavirus and were proved wrong spectacularly.

As it does the E.F.L .

But just because the EFL say tests are not compulsory then that's no reason not to do some when numerous players in your squad come down with a bug during a pandemic.

You're bang on about social distancing not being possible when training or playing though. It was only a few fays ago that we were chuckling about that 37-0 score in the socially distanced game.
The Guardian article did say the players were checked & there symptoms werent
at the time covid related . Then 2 players did show covid signs .

I think i may have possibly just gone through a very weak case of it recently &
If it was that , damn i wouldnt like to see a strong set of symptoms .
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

As it does the E.F.L .

I partially agree but when 9 players come down with something in the middle of a pandemic, you get them tested. Simple as that.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 pm
The Guardian article posted above, seeing as there’s no other information about and it references comments from the club that haven’t been made publicly
9 f*cking players all ill in the last week and club/medical staff didn’t think it was Covid?
That is your version of what was actually stated in that wonderful factual, biased, leftie newspaper. You can twist anything to make it suite your agenda why do you hate orient and it’s management so much?

At the time Embleton stressed it was “not a Covid issue for any of us to worry about” and after the game he revealed that as many as “nine players” were struggling to play because of a “bug”. Orient’s doctor and head physio conducted regular medical checks and are understood to have felt comfortable the symptoms reported by players were unrelated to Covid-19 until last Friday, when it became apparent a couple of players were suffering from symptoms linked to the virus.

‘9 players’ are in quote marks, that means it’s a direct quote. It’s also in the same sentence as RE saying ‘it’s not a covid issue’. Therefore, those quotes are attributes to RE. Whether you want to believe the next part or not is up to you but either those 9 players were tested and the tests came back negative or they weren’t tested and the medical staff waited until the Friday before they realised it could be covid. Which then begs the question, why was the game on Saturday played?

I don’t hate the club or have an agenda (unlike you, with the Guardian). These players, RE and the fans could potentially not get to be involved with a big game for the club and the club go without a lot of TV money. Everyone loses because of a wrong decision.
That's fair. And the fact we were so open about so many players being ill but nobody thought this was odd and flagged it as potentially being more than it appeared to be. Even if the doctor cleared it did no senior staff really think it was odd and push back on such a coincidence?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:35 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 pm

That's fair. And the fact we were so open about so many players being ill but nobody thought this was odd and flagged it as potentially being more than it appeared to be. Even if the doctor cleared it did no senior staff really think it was odd and push back on such a coincidence?
Everyone knows the symptoms for covid aren’t just the cough, fever and loss of taste and smell. It’s just so bizarre that they weren’t tested.

I feel for RE and the players.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 pm

As it does the E.F.L .

I partially agree but when 9 players come down with something in the middle of a pandemic, you get them tested. Simple as that.
Its a tough one to call .
Medical people say its not
You have your own doubts ,
24 players @ £200 a pop minimum

Thats £5k right off the bat

Peanuts i know but with all clubs under pressure
Maybe some of the tv money being held by the EFL for television rights, should be set aside for clubs to have full testing once a month minimum .

That way clubs arent pushed even closer to financial meltdown .
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:47 pm

As it does the E.F.L .

Maybe some of the tv money being held by the EFL for television rights, should be set aside for clubs to have full testing once a month minimum .

That’s the thing, you trust the medical staff to make the decision. They should have tested the few at the start of the week and gone from there. It’s obviously rife in league 1 and 2.

The loss of £5k at the start of the week could have saved Orient getting £125k from Sky.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

As it does the E.F.L .

Tests are normally around £70-£90.

We have a medical team to make medical decisions. You have to trust there judgement. Otherwise why have them.

No decision has yet been made about the game tomorrow. We are waiting on PHE to make a decision, so don't hold your breath. But almost certain to be cancelled.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

As it does the E.F.L .

I mean, like any job, there was nothing stopping the club sending the ill players off to nhs testing spots, was there? Unless I’m missing something?
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

BM. For your information just because I disagree with your summary, and don’t like the Guardian, there is no need to question my intelligence. I find that those who can’t accept another opinion without resorting to insults are perhaps somewhat narrow minded.
Until proved otherwise I’ll accept what the club, RE and the medics have said. They were present but you weren’t , nor was I or the journalist from the Guardian.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Seems odd that it looks like no decision will be made until tomorrow. Cant they make up their minds?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Story of O wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:08 pm Seems odd that it looks like no decision will be made until tomorrow. Cant they make up their minds?
Public Health England are now allegedly involved and if so would need time to evaluate the situation.

Still can't see any reason it can go ahead.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:57 pm

That’s the thing, you trust the medical staff to make the decision. They should have tested the few at the start of the week and gone from there. It’s obviously rife in league 1 and 2.

The loss of £5k at the start of the week could have saved Orient getting £125k from Sky.
This is difficult to judge. If you look up the symptoms you will be testing the whole squad everyday because someone will feel a little tired or have a mild headache two common symptoms. Whereas diarrhoea and nausea are two rarer symptoms. At the last check there were 14 symptoms all common in the population as a whole. If one person is off colour all have to be checked.

If we did this and last Monday we found one positive, the likelihood is that we would not be discussing this now as our last 2 matches would probably have been cancelled. Track and trace rules strongly indicate that this may happen.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Still's Carenae wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:16 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:57 pm

This is difficult to judge. If you look up the symptoms you will be testing the whole squad everyday because someone will feel a little tired or have a mild headache two common symptoms. Whereas diarrhoea and nausea are two rarer symptoms. At the last check there were 14 symptoms all common in the population as a whole. If one person is off colour all have to be checked.

If we did this and last Monday we found one positive, the likelihood is that we would not be discussing this now as our last 2 matches would probably have been cancelled. Track and trace rules strongly indicate that this may happen.
I get that and I agree there’s a couple but when 9 players go down, surely common sense would say to test. I think there’s an unwritten rule in league 1 and 2 that they’ll just crack on an keep it quiet.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Unbelievable that the accompanying pictures were chosen by Chris Kamara. Why did he have to get involved?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Winchesterfan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm BM. For your information just because I disagree with your summary, and don’t like the Guardian, there is no need to question my intelligence. I find that those who can’t accept another opinion without resorting to insults are perhaps somewhat narrow minded.
Until proved otherwise I’ll accept what the club, RE and the medics have said. They were present but you weren’t , nor was I or the journalist from the Guardian.
Keep your head in the sand.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Guardian now reporting that the majority of our squad are reporting positive tests.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nham-spurs

What's that then? Upwards of 12 cases?

The huge number of positive results – understood to be well into double figures – have shocked the east London club, with Orient announcing on Monday lunchtime that they had closed their stadium and training ground until further notice.
Last edited by Tent Keague on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I was getting sooo excited about the match. That'll teach me - Orient and excitement don't go together :lol: :roll:
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Tent Keague wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 pm Guardian now reporting that the majority of our squad are reporting positive tests.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nham-spurs

What's that then? Upwards of 12 cases?
That article reads like a re-jig of the words in the O's statement, the BBC report and the Daily Mail report highlighted above by the Norse god of thunder. Typical "cut & paste" modern journalism.
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:54 pm
Winchesterfan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm BM. For your information just because I disagree with your summary, and don’t like the Guardian, there is no need to question my intelligence. I find that those who can’t accept another opinion without resorting to insults are perhaps somewhat narrow minded.
No! Why can’t you just accept an alternative opinion? Obviously a silly question as you will never accept that you just might be either misinformed or wrong.
Pointless discussing any further with you.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Talksport had been advertising Orient v Spurs and Luton v Man Yoo commentaries tomorrow over the past few days. Now just advertising the latter.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Winchesterfan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:05 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:54 pm
No! Why can’t you just accept an alternative opinion? Obviously a silly question as you will never accept that you just might be either misinformed or wrong.
Pointless discussing any further with you.
What alternative opinion? Saying ‘I’ll wait and see what the club say’ isn’t an alternative opinion, that’s keeping your head in the sand.

It’s being reported in every newspaper, but you crack on and wait for the club to say something
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Still's Carenae wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Tests are normally around £70-£90.

We have a medical team to make medical decisions. You have to trust there judgement. Otherwise why have them.

No decision has yet been made about the game tomorrow. We are waiting on PHE to make a decision, so don't hold your breath. But almost certain to be cancelled.
Not those that have a quick diagnosis time ,