Orient squad test positive for Covid

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Harlow
Fresh Alias

Re: Orient squad test positive for Covid

Post by Harlow »

If a team has international call ups games get postponed. How can it be right for Orient to lose out because they have to comply with govt guidelines. Presumably they could field a team of non positive tested players but who is responsible for closing the stadium.

First league match was at Oldham in the middle of a covid hotspot, perhaps that game should have been called off. If Orient cannot play the match in a few weeks time it means that any team with positive tests could lose points by not being able to play. Its not Orient's fault.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

y o y o y wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:11 pm
kokomO wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm
y o y o y wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Where are we going to play the tie, WHL?
Brisbane Rd and our training ground are closed atm
Yes, this was suggested about 10 posts ago......

Sorry I missed that, didn't read what others had said earlier, apologies.
No worries mate , up the O's!! 👍
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

I think that Spurs will do the decent thing and wave any expenses they inncur against the Orient. If the EFL are allowing thier clubs to play without testing then surely it's illegal to then fine them when tests are carried out at the Premier league clubs request and come back positive.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Further announcement to be made and the club will make no further comment. So looks like the EFL will break the news.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

AckneyAwks wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 pm I think that Spurs will do the decent thing and wave any expenses they inncur against the Orient. If the EFL are allowing thier clubs to play without testing then surely it's illegal to then fine them when tests are carried out at the Premier league clubs request and come back positive.
It wouldn't look good for them to claim expenses. Especially when we've done them a favour by not being able to play.

I have bigger concerns about the league, players not playing regularly, going off the boil and any sort of claim from Plymouth or Mansfield about negligence after our players were ill probably before during and after their games.

I'm sure we could fight off any potential sanctions as we've abode by the rules however slack they now seem (although nobody was complaining before lunchtime today).

It just looks a bit amateurish from the O's (I don't think it is though as I know how our club is run and the effort gone in to everything to date) from the outside looking in.

Ultimately some team was gonna be the first to fall for Covid. In typical Orient fashion when things were going well it had to be us.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Bit more info. Mansfield making a complaint because of Ross’ comments pre match

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2 ... ssion=true
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Think it’s harsh if the game is canned and spurs are given a bye. It’s punishing teams for an unfortunate event and following government guidelines. It also sets a bad precedent for teams to not bother testing.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

9 f*cking players all ill in the last week and the club/medical staff didn’t think it was covid? No possibility during a pandemic that it could have been? Then the day before the game, some of those players developed symptoms widely associated with it, but they still played the game.

What an absolute shambles. Mansfield have every right to be furious.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Definitely some questions to be asked, for sure.

Guardian article suggests we have double figure positive results. Wishing them all well.
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:23 pm 9 f*cking players all ill in the last week and the club/medical staff didn’t think it was covid? No possibility during a pandemic that it could have been? Then the day before the game, some of those players developed symptoms widely associated with it, but they still played the game.

Of course, you checked all your facts with reliable sources before making the above comments, didn’t you?

Just for my peace of mind where exactly did you get your information from and are you a qualified medic?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Tent Keague wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:27 pm
RedO wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:14 pm Is there anything more Orient than drawing Spurs at home in the Cup during a pandemic when the vast majority of fans aren't allowed in and to then have the squad go down with the Covids and not even get to play them?
You're right. This could be the most Orient thing to ever happen to Orient ever.
Coming back from 2-0 down to beat a L1 side in round 1 when the tie was known as well.

And with Chelsea waiting at home in the next round.

Peak Orient.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm Think it’s harsh if the game is canned and spurs are given a bye. It’s punishing teams for an unfortunate event and following government guidelines. It also sets a bad precedent for teams to not bother testing.
Agree it's harsh but I can't see any other conclusion than Spurs getting a bye.

Those who tested positive are isolating, I can't imagine that any of Saturday's squad will be allowed to play in any circumstances, Wright and Turley went home ill too. That's effectively our squad apart from Judd who was already isolating on Boco Island.

Even if we put some kids out Sky won't entertain that idea and will choose another match.

It's a total kick on the teeth as now we'll probably have to do ridiculous amounts of Covid testing (at least twice a week at £15k a pop, figure quoted earlier in the season) for the foreseeable because getting caught out twice would be a debacle, we lose the £145k from Sky and our season is up in the air.

I just hope all the players and the people they've bubbled up with are all ok.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Winchesterfan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:30 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:23 pm 9 f*cking players all ill in the last week and the club/medical staff didn’t think it was covid? No possibility during a pandemic that it could have been? Then the day before the game, some of those players developed symptoms widely associated with it, but they still played the game.

Of course, you checked all your facts with reliable sources before making the above comments, didn’t you?

Just for my peace of mind where exactly did you get your information from and are you a qualified medic?
The Guardian article posted above, seeing as there’s no other information about and it references comments from the club that haven’t been made publicly
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:15 pm Bit more info. Mansfield making a complaint because of Boss’ comments pre match

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2 ... ssion=true
Just read that Guardian article and the divulgence that the EFL are supervisors of the £595 million allocated money for the competition, then i can see no reason why we are not entitled to our tv money which i believe is £125,000. All EFL clubs have already been severly financially damaged by covid and as we have done nothing illegal then we have a fair argument if not for the full ammount then definetly for some financial compensation.
The EFL, Sky and both clubs could find a soloution.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Tent Keague wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm Think it’s harsh if the game is canned and spurs are given a bye. It’s punishing teams for an unfortunate event and following government guidelines. It also sets a bad precedent for teams to not bother testing.

Those who tested positive are isolating, I can't imagine that any of Saturday's squad will be allowed to play in any circumstances, Wright and Turley went home ill too. That's effectively our squad apart from Judd who was already isolating on Boco Island.

Even if we put some kids out Sky won't entertain that idea and will choose another match.

It's a total kick on the teeth as now we'll probably have to do ridiculous amounts of Covid testing (at least twice a week at £15k a pop, figure quoted earlier in the season) for the foreseeable because getting caught out twice would be a debacle, we lose the £145k from Sky and our season is up in the air.

Judd has had coronavirus for the past 9 months.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Don’t disagree but don’t see why the game can’t be pushed back. It shouldn’t be our problem that spurs have a packed schedule and you often see round 3 of the day cup played on the same weekend as round 4 due to weather postponements
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Love the comment about Judd as he must be the safest player at the club, he's been in self isolation for months😂.
Covid testing twice a week £30,000 shut up shop now and finish the league, most 2nd division clubs will fold.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Don’t disagree but don’t see why the game can’t be pushed back. It shouldn’t be our problem that spurs have a packed schedule and you often see round 3 of the day cup played on the same weekend as round 4 due to weather postponements
Why should they? They don’t owe Orient anything.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Let's looks at this objectively. A 'bug' is ravaging the squad during late summer, an unusual time for this sort of thing to happen and at a time coinciding with the start of a second wave of a pandemic. The fact Spurs paid for tests on Saturday suggests that no tests had been done in the days before, because otherwise you'd just use the results from those. In fact, it wouldn't suprise me if Spurs took that decision after the pre game comments were brought to their attention.

Meanwhile, the club decided not to report this unusual bug affecting numerous players during a pandemic or respond to it with any testing. They brushed it off as not coronavirus and were proved wrong spectacularly.

Sorry, this makes us look really amateur.
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 pm

The Guardian article posted above, seeing as there’s no other information about and it references comments from the club that haven’t been made publicly
9 f*cking players all ill in the last week and club/medical staff didn’t think it was Covid?
That is your version of what was actually stated in that wonderful factual, biased, leftie newspaper. You can twist anything to make it suite your agenda why do you hate orient and it’s management so much?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:53 pm

No - but they shouldn’t be the ones making the choice. Orient probably could field a team of 16 year olds and it would end about 25-0. But we would still get the money. But it doesn’t maintain the integrity of the competition. In such unprecedented times the efl’s first thought should be can we rearrange this. A forfeit should be a last resort. This early on the season, of course they can rearrange it.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

I think whatever way you cut it for Spurs or us it leaves the schedule far too tight.

I'm sure it could be worked out somehow but as things stand we're due to miss 4 or 5 games in all different competitions over the next 14 days. And let's hope that's a best case scenario where everyone gets better and is ready to jump back into football straight away.

I don't know of anyone with Covid but even best case I can't imagine that you could just go straight back to being a professional athlete.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:00 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:53 pm

No - but they shouldn’t be the ones making the choice. Orient probably could field a team of 16 year olds and it would end about 25-0. But we would still get the money. But it doesn’t maintain the integrity of the competition. In such unprecedented times the efl’s first thought should be can we rearrange this. A forfeit should be a last resort. This early on the season, of course they can rearrange it.
I can imagine it is those discussions going on now.

Can we field our youth team? EFL probably say yes, Sky will turn their attention elsewhere and we won't get a bean.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

No idea how accurate this is so don’t kill the messenger
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Let's looks at this objectively. A 'bug' is ravaging the squad during late summer, an unusual time for this sort of thing to happen and at a time coinciding with the start of a second wave of a pandemic. The fact Spurs paid for tests on Saturday suggests that no tests had been done in the days before, because otherwise you'd just use the results from those. In fact, it wouldn't suprise me if Spurs took that decision after the pre game comments were brought to their attention.

Meanwhile, the club decided not to report this unusual bug affecting numerous players during a pandemic or respond to it with any testing. They brushed it off as not coronavirus and were proved wrong spectacularly.

Sorry, this makes us look really amateur.
As it does the E.F.L .

How can a governing body say you dont need testing .
Spen made a point about no one at hus work & others
get tested , but they should all be socially distanced .

How can you do that from a free kick in fornt of your goal
or from a corner kick , let alone just defending & marking your man.

It is genuinely the fault of the EFL & its guidance.