Orient squad test positive for Covid

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Orient squad test positive for Covid

Post by gshaw »

i8ubutler
Regular
Regular

Re: Orient squad test positive for Covid

Post by i8ubutler »

Just heard that on radio.
:(
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Just heard on Talksport. Can't see how the Spurs game and possibly our weekend game can go ahead if more than 3 players will be out and potentially more to test positive as the week goes on in a knock on effect.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Game off I guess. Fantastic.

Obviously, hopefully the players affected are ok which is the most important thing.

Ross mentioned that there was a bug but no covid symptoms which leads to the question of whether they were being tested anyway. I assume they are but if not, why not?
Last edited by Rich Tea Wellin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:35 pm Just heard on Talksport. Can't see how the Spurs game and possibly our weekend game can go ahead if more than 3 players will be out and potentially more to test positive as the week goes on in a knock on effect.
Hoping common sense prevails and whilst a different FA, St Mirran were told to play even though their three goalkeepers were not available.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

We won't be the only League 2 side where this occurs this season. I can only see this becoming more of a problem unfortunately. Whilst we all wonder if we're going to be able to watch any games live I also begin to wonder if we'll even finish the season.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

How many is 'a number' of the squad?
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Sh!t.. how unlucky could you get, match on Sky £145,000, great game for the club and Spurs donating signed shirts to the Justin foundation.
It could be that the club have had the virus for a couple of weeks with players being unwell and missing games.
We must be cursed😥
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

BoniO wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:41 pm We won't be the only League 2 side where this occurs this season. I can only see this becoming more of a problem unfortunately. Whilst we all wonder if we're going to be able to watch any games live I also begin to wonder if we'll even finish the season.
Was saying this in a chat the other day, for all the predictions about where we'll finish no-one said "season null and void".

Obviously last season was mostly done so made sense to finish it but if we get lockdowns with it not even a quarter through then null and void would make sense. Would finish a lot of teams financially though.
RedO wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm How many is 'a number' of the squad?
Didn't someone say 7 were unwell over the weekend so...
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

BoniO wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:41 pm We won't be the only League 2 side where this occurs this season. I can only see this becoming more of a problem unfortunately. Whilst we all wonder if we're going to be able to watch any games live I also begin to wonder if we'll even finish the season.
Not surprising that players will get it when they will mix with one another and other teams. Reckon we may even see football suspended again whilst cases are rising.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

I assume a lot of them have kids, who would have just gone back to school. It's surprising we are the only team to have this. Season seems doomed.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:52 pm I assume a lot of them have kids, who would have just gone back to school. It's surprising we are the only team to have this. Season seems doomed.
Irrelevant, can't catch it at school.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

RedO wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:57 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:52 pm I assume a lot of them have kids, who would have just gone back to school. It's surprising we are the only team to have this. Season seems doomed.
Definitely can secondary school age and colleges

Now theoretically what happens from here, do games get postponed for 14 days of isolation or would we have to play the youth team?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:37 pm Game off I guess. Fantastic.

Obviously, hopefully the players affected are ok which is the most important thing.

Boss mentioned that there was a bug but no covid symptoms which leads to the question of whether they were being tested anyway. I assume they are but if not, why not?
They have been periodically tested since returning to training, some players were tested last week after the "bug" that swept through the club took hold and were negative. The latest tests were done on the pitch straight after the Mansfield game and were paid for by Spurs.

Most of the players are likely to be a symptomatic showing no symptoms and not those who showed symptoms last week and have had a flu bug. Shows how difficult it is identify who has got this virus.
Last edited by Top of the JES on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Disappointing as Kane was due to start

Hope the affected players have a swift recovery
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

As long as there’s enough players to field a minimum, the game won’t be called off.

The commentators joked the other day about “having to share a mic” and not social distancing. Also, the ‘fans’ being allowed in the ground with press passes. Hope the club tighten things up.

We had a couple of people test positive earlier in the year too, it’s not new. Hopefully it’s not serious and they all keep safe.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Just seen a report on sky sports regarding the club statement. The reporter was inferring that because the club declined in the statement to put a definitive number to the infected players its more concerning than outbreaks at other clubs.

Doesn't matter if it's one, three, five or seven the whole squad will now need to self isolate, can't see how the next two fixtures can go ahead but hysterical reporting like sky sports have just done doesn't help.

It's just another blow to the club, not sure how we stand about the cup game tomorrow, I guess it will be rearranged but there may be a chance if it delays the whole competition that we would need to forfeit the game and lose the £100k tv money, whatever our club needs a break not a lot seems to go for us does it.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:14 pm As long as there’s enough players to field a minimum, the game won’t be called off.

The commentators joked the other day about “having to share a mic” and not social distancing. Also, the ‘fans’ being allowed in the ground with press passes. Hope the club tighten things up.

We had a couple of people test positive earlier in the year too, it’s not new. Hopefully it’s not serious and they all keep safe.
Yeah - but sometimes the virus doesn't show up on tests for a few days. There could be someone who tested negatively, who picked it up yday from one of the players. Plays tomorrow and ends up offing Harry Kane. I think they will all have to isolate for weeks.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:14 pm As long as there’s enough players to field a minimum, the game won’t be called off.

If the unaffected players have been in contact with those infected they will have to self isolate for 10 days. Assuming the18 man squad from Saturday are all either affected or isolating added to which Turley was ill and Wright was sent home before the game on Saturday we won't be able to raise a team.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

Children can absolutely catch and transmit C-19 at school but their symptoms are less severe, if apparent at all. Which is why the elderly and the vulnerable must take all reasonable precautions around children as well as adults.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Do those that are " press " have regular tests ?

Wouldnt suprise me if they didn't.

Hope everyone recovers quickly .
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

Terrible news for the club and wish all players a speedy recovery.
Our beloved EFL have decreed that if we don’t play tomorrow because of COVID we not only forfeit the match but also pay Spurs expenses.
How did that rule get agreed. Implication is therefore if club delayed confirming tests and allowed match to take place and then tested we would at least have theSKY income Hypothetical I know as we are an honest club but some others.......
Yet another bonus for the big clubs. Just hope that Spurs will waive any ‘costs’ and still sign and auction shorts.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

The Czech Republic were forced into playing Scotland after a similar thing. Maybe Orient will forfeit tomorrows game, Spurs won’t be happy about rescheduling it. In my mind I was thinking about Spurs and the games coming up. Thinking about it, I’m not sure how tomorrow’s game goes ahead. Moving forward, the players will have to be tested more often.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:31 pm
Children can absolutely catch and transmit C-19 at school but their symptoms are less severe, if apparent at all. Which is why the elderly and the vulnerable must take all reasonable precautions around children as well as adults.
I think RedO was being sarcastic
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Winchesterfan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 pm Terrible news for the club and wish all players a speedy recovery.
Our beloved EFL have decreed that if we don’t play tomorrow because of COVID we not only forfeit the match but also pay Spurs expenses.
How did that rule get agreed. Implication is therefore if club delayed confirming tests and allowed match to take place and then tested we would at least have theSKY income Hypothetical I know as we are an honest club but some others.......
Yet another bonus for the big clubs. Just hope that Spurs will waive any ‘costs’ and still sign and auction shorts.
Do you have a link to that decree, please?