Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Coronavirus

Post by tuffers#1 »

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Thor wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:35 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:05 pm I wonder what Thors sons school head thinks about that then
It does not apply to England so she probably doesn’t think much about it.

What are people’s thoughts on this? My daughters school is in a remote location, not accessible by bus or train, so we take her in the morning and she likes to get the school bus back to the town centre and then make her way home from there.

When they return we have been Told today that all buses will be fully utilised, all seats are to be used by all pupils and no social distancing will occur. These buses are only for the school kids so no public get on them.

So why is it ok to ram the kids on the bus, but not joe public? They are in dialogue with the bus company in getting more out on, but so far no agreement has been made. Surely this goes against everything the government are telling us doesn’t it?
U-turn as predicted !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53907035

What is this government doing ?
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Thor wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:29 pm
NuneatonO's wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:28 pm
Thor wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:50 pm When you say your leaving this place I hope it’s not to meet our lord and saviour?
Who knows......not been feeling too well lately (also blood pressure is through the roof - I won't blame that on the Govt.)!
Go and see a doctor and get it looked at, don’t leave it as high blood pressure is really serious.

My wife’s uncle is a proper alternative health (if that’s what they’re called) person and lives and treats his body like a temple. He doesn’t beleive in a lot of medications preferring to use alternative remedies. He had a stroke. He started after quite sometime in hospital blood pressure tablets and a short while later stopped taking them. He had another stroke. He has lost a lot of use on his left hand side and walks with a stick and a limp.

So please get it checked out.
Many thanks Thor for your genuine concern.

I'm on Blood Pressure tablets since my Lung Op. - the reason that I woke up next day in an ICU was blood pressure-related during the Operation itself; when I nearly became an ex-O's Supporter. I never knew that I even had a blood pressure problem until then! That was something identifed which was totally unexpected; but thankfully, sooner rather than later. It was also a wake up call to give up cigarettes; I was on 20-30 a day.

As you will know, 'she who must be obeyed' is an experienced Staff Nurse; yet even she had no idea whatsoever that I had a blood pressure problem. I had an annual check up less than a year before surgery and my B.P. was fine then (albeit I was advised obviously to immediately stop smoking and to reduce my alcohol intake).

Bringing the thread back on some kind of track after boring people with my health over the past two years, I cannot recommend enough to people the importance of regularly checking your blood pressure (I now check mine daily). You can get a perfectly good upper arm Blood Pressure Monitor from Boots for around £20. That's absolute peanuts - and could be a life-saver. If you visit your G.P. Surgery, they will calibrate it for you against theirs - but obviously Boots don't sell cheap tat anyway. Around one in four people in the UK are suffering with a blood pressure problem - I would imagine many without knowing. I wouldn't have ever given it a second thought; I eat very healthily and exercise daily. Also, despite my rants on this forum, I'm generally very laid back! As Thor points out, you never know that you could be heading for a stroke (or, God forbid, worse).

Once again, sincere thanks for your kind thoughts and advice Thor.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:42 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:05 pm I wonder what Thors sons school head thinks about that then

What are people’s thoughts on this? My daughters school is in a remote location, not accessible by bus or train, so we take her in the morning and she likes to get the school bus back to the town centre and then make her way home from there.

When they return we have been Told today that all buses will be fully utilised, all seats are to be used by all pupils and no social distancing will occur. These buses are only for the school kids so no public get on them.

So why is it ok to ram the kids on the bus, but not joe public? They are in dialogue with the bus company in getting more out on, but so far no agreement has been made. Surely this goes against everything the government are telling us doesn’t it?
U-turn as predicted !!

Only in infected areas! Also if he government change their track isn’t that a sign of strength as they are listening?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Thor wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:06 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:42 pm

U-turn as predicted !!

Only in infected areas! Also if he government change their track isn’t that a sign of strength as they are listening?
Why not set it out as others did recently

We will change as & when neccesary instead of

NO NO NO NO NO YES OK THEN .

😁
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

NuneatonO's wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:55 pm
Thor wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:29 pm
NuneatonO's wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:28 pm
Who knows......not been feeling too well lately (also blood pressure is through the roof - I won't blame that on the Govt.)!
Go and see a doctor and get it looked at, don’t leave it as high blood pressure is really serious.

My wife’s uncle is a proper alternative health (if that’s what they’re called) person and lives and treats his body like a temple. He doesn’t beleive in a lot of medications preferring to use alternative remedies. He had a stroke. He started after quite sometime in hospital blood pressure tablets and a short while later stopped taking them. He had another stroke. He has lost a lot of use on his left hand side and walks with a stick and a limp.

So please get it checked out.
Many thanks Thor for your genuine concern.

I'm on Blood Pressure tablets since my Lung Op. - the reason that I woke up next day in an ICU was blood pressure-related during the Operation itself; when I nearly became an ex-O's Supporter. I never knew that I even had a blood pressure problem until then! That was something identifed which was totally unexpected; but thankfully, sooner rather than later. It was also a wake up call to give up cigarettes; I was on 20-30 a day.

As you will know, 'she who must be obeyed' is an experienced Staff Nurse; yet even she had no idea whatsoever that I had a blood pressure problem. I had an annual check up less than a year before surgery and my B.P. was fine then (albeit I was advised obviously to immediately stop smoking and to reduce my alcohol intake).

Bringing the thread back on some kind of track after boring people with my health over the past two years, I cannot recommend enough to people the importance of regularly checking your blood pressure (I now check mine daily). You can get a perfectly good upper arm Blood Pressure Monitor from Boots for around £20. That's absolute peanuts - and could be a life-saver. If you visit your G.P. Surgery, they will calibrate it for you against theirs - but obviously Boots don't sell cheap tat anyway. Around one in four people in the UK are suffering with a blood pressure problem - I would imagine many without knowing. I wouldn't have ever given it a second thought; I eat very healthily and exercise daily. Also, despite my rants on this forum, I'm generally very laid back! As Thor points out, you never know that you could be heading for a stroke (or, God forbid, worse).

Once again, sincere thanks for your kind thoughts and advice Thor.
Be well NuneatonOs. Wishing you the best of health.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Still plenty of numpties in shops without masks and not distancing. :(((
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:03 pm Still plenty of numpties in shops without masks and not distancing. :(((
When will it sink in with these people?
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

A Deadly Coronavirus Was Inevitable. Why Was No One Ready?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-deadly-c ... 2&mod=ukff
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Lovejoy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:26 pm A Deadly Coronavirus Was Inevitable. Why Was No One Ready?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-deadly-c ... 2&mod=ukff
Especially as Georgee W told them it was coming

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So our deputy medical officers says there is not much evidence in either direction to support wearing face masks as a deterrent in catching the virus. You can’t make this stuff up.

Yet we are being forced to wear them and like the sheep we are we just do it.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:36 pm So our deputy medical officers says there is not much evidence in either direction to support wearing face masks as a deterrent in catching the virus. You can’t make this stuff up.

The overwhelming weight of opinion is that wearing masks helps prevent the spread of the disease. One voice saying something different doesn't change this. But you know this already. You just continue to peddle your "we're being sheep, being lied to, flu is killing more people than covid" utter bollocks. I can't work out whether you are incredibly thick, a right wing loon, a combination of the two, or just a complete pain in the arse WUM. Whatever one you are, I just wish you'd shut the f*ck up.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

It is a person quite high up saying it though.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

I imagine it was a political rather than a scientific statement.

The government is trying to encourage people back to work and saying it's quite safe, which is difficult to do if you're urging people to mask up.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Thor wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:36 pm So our deputy medical officers says there is not much evidence in either direction to support wearing face masks as a deterrent in catching the virus. You can’t make this stuff up.

Baaaaaaaaaa. Does it really hurt to wear a mask?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

The whole mask thing is a really interesting thing to observe. The anti-maskers are effectively, in my opinion, just going against it because it’s another thing they don’t feel in control of - they are scared already (understandably) because of something that they can’t directly control. I’ve struggled a bit with the anxiety of the whole thing and not being able to do a damn thing about it makes it worse, so I get it. Had they say that there’s a couple of options and you can choose one then I’d imagine there wouldn’t be much outraged at masks and most people who against them now would just wear them. I think it’s the being told that they don’t like.

I’m all for not listening to this inept government and some inept politically driven scientists. But the bit I don’t get is that it’s very little hassle to wear one. If the government said that everyone had to walk on their hands to avoid Covid, or stick needles in their arm, I’d get it. But you have to put a bit of cloth over your face and realistically it’s for about 10 mins in the supermarket on average. Just get over it.
If it makes no difference, so what? Isn’t it worth a tiny inconvenience even if there’s only a tiny chance that it helps people dying?
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

It's helped wearing a mask in my line of work
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

AckneyAwks wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:38 pm It's helped wearing a mask in my line of work
Bank robber?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Super villain 🦹‍♀️
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Real Al wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:41 pm
AckneyAwks wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:38 pm It's helped wearing a mask in my line of work
Bank robber?
Ventriloquist👍
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

At last a journalist and a BBC one at that, saying there are more people dying each day from other diseases and implying that maybe at this time the Covid-19 situation in the UK isn't as bad as is made out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53951764

But so far, I haven't seen this reported on the Beeb TV news today. Oh well, one lives in hope.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

EliotNes wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 pm At last a journalist and a BBC one at that, saying there are more people dying each day from other diseases and implying that maybe at this time the Covid-19 situation in the UK isn't as bad as is made out.

But so far, I haven't seen this reported on the Beeb TV news today. Oh well, one lives in hope.
Interesting and been that way for a good while. It is naturally a scary word, Covid, but at some point if the trend continues then we should start being able to get back to normal. This autumn/winter will decide that
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Fairly large anti mask demo in Trafalgar Square today

One dude decided to rock a tin foil hat that even COYO's would've been proud Image
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

EliotNes wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 pm At last a journalist and a BBC one at that, saying there are more people dying each day from other diseases and implying that maybe at this time the Covid-19 situation in the UK isn't as bad as is made out.

How ironic for a BBC journalist to start an article "Are the government and media overdoing coronavirus?" - the BBC have been at it for months and were one of the main culprits during the now-defunct Government daily briefings. They still highlight the daily deaths figure on the Six O'clock News, even if it has only gone up by a handful, as if the public needs a constant reminder.

To be fair to Fergus Walsh (who wrote the article), I don't recall him at the daily briefings but then he's "only" the BBC's medical editor, and the BBC invariably put up their politics heavyweights to ask the questions - which says a lot.

The article mainly regurgitates what's been out there for quite some time now, for example quoting Carl Heneghan, who first reported the "everyone who's had covid eventually dies from it" daily deaths anomaly.

There's plenty of interesting information out there that really gets into the numbers if you search for it and don't take as gospel what the likes of the BBC are saying.