Speeding Ticket

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Speeding Ticket

Post by Dunners »

Just go over double the speed limit and the camera sensor won't be activated.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

A Pedant wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:47 am
slacker wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am tolerances of going over the limit have been lowered

Didn’t know that. I’ve never had a speeding ticket but always thought the tolerance was (limit x 110% + 2mph), so for instance at 30 you’d get away with 35 and at 70 limit you’d get away with 79. What’s it changed to?
It hasn't. The facts: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... o-accurate
Your right Pedant, I should have said it's under review rather than it has changed ;-https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... proposal-p My Brother in law is a copper and has told me it is likely to happen because different forces have different tolerances, I got done by Essex police doing 33 in a 30 mph zone, it varies from force to force.
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Top of the West. wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:53 pm Your right Pedant, I should have said it's under review rather than it has changed ;-https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... proposal-p My Brother in law is a copper and has told me it is likely to happen because different forces have different tolerances, I got done by Essex police doing 33 in a 30 mph zone, it varies from force to force.
Got to laugh at the contradiction between that article's headline and the final paragraph. :lol:

I can see it would make sense to standardise, but it will have to be around a high enough number that's resistant to challenge in court on the accuracy of the speed camera that day.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

A Pedant wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:41 pm
Got to laugh at the contradiction between that article's headline and the final paragraph. :lol:

Beautiful, if you're writing for the express you might as well take thfe piss
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

Motorists could protest outside parliament
If they did,
10 million would be there,
Imagine the chaos,
If the laws punishing motorists weren’t overturned,
We could threaten to turn up every week,
Take a leaf out of the French protesters
They don’t take sh*t
The British do,
We love being f*cked in the ass,
If it was about good motoring then pile on points & reduce the fines by 50% but the police want you to speed, the mayor of London wants you to go in bus lanes, box junctions, turn into turning your meant not to go in,
Does the fine money get spent on roads,
Like sh*t it does,
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Revenue raising now I’m afraid. Local government, national government, police, basically everyone wants your pound note, it’s getting silly now.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Thor wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 pm Revenue raising now I’m afraid. Local government, national government, police, basically everyone wants your pound note, it’s getting silly now.
Its nothing of the sort.

There is a set speed limit. You choose to break the law you get punished.

It's no more a revenue raiser than any other punishment for breaking the law.

If you don't want to give central government your money, then don't break the law.

PS No idea what the relevance of "local government" is in your post as they do not get any of the speeding fines
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

spen666 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:47 am
Thor wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 pm Revenue raising now I’m afraid. Local government, national government, police, basically everyone wants your pound note, it’s getting silly now.
Its nothing of the sort.

If you don't want to give central government your money, then don't break the law.

PS No idea what the relevance of "local government" is in your post as they do not get any of the speeding fines
Do you really want to go here, speedn666?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Its nothing of the sort.

I do believe, in past posts, Mr Spen has told us all he drives from the north-East to London at 79mph, which is 9mph more than the speed limit.
In light of that, I believe this is a strange post from MrSpen
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:57 am
Its nothing of the sort.

I do believe, in past posts, Mr Spen has told us all he drives from the north-East to London at 79mph, which is 9mph more than the speed limit.
Indeed. He may be a great big hypocrite but he sure knows the Law. In the Wild West he would have been the town's Sheriff and through time would have risen to Marshall.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Despite the constant government warnings about not smoking and avoiding excessive drinking of Alcohol, I often wonder what what sort of panic the Government would get into if the nation actually took all these warnings on board and thus the tax revenue were VASTLY decreased !!
Also the constant message now of the future plans of everyone changing to Electric cars, really ? So we are struggling to generate enough electricity at present, so how will we cope with all these extra cars to charge up, plus no income from the sale of petrol and diesel, and at present, no road tax for electric cars ? Of course the government will change course and heavily tax these at present un-taxed Electric cars !

Yes all these fines on motorists are mainly for revenue raising and if they cant get it one way, they will find another !
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:08 am
Despite the constant government warnings about not smoking and avoiding excessive drinking of Alcohol, I often wonder what what sort of panic the Government would get into if the nation actually took all these warnings on board and thus the tax revenue were VASTLY decreased !!
Also the constant message now of the future plans of everyone changing to Electric cars, really ? So we are struggling to generate enough electricity at present, so how will we cope with all these extra cars to charge up, plus no income from the sale of petrol and diesel, and at present, no road tax for electric cars ? Of course the government will change course and heavily tax these at present un-taxed Electric cars !

Yes all these fines on motorists are mainly for revenue raising and if they cant get it one way, they will find another !
Exactly.

As we have found with Brexit, do not trust politicians, from all parties, as they have their own agendas.
eppinggas
Fresh Alias

Post by eppinggas »

Slightly off topic - but might help someone in the future. Box junction contravention - going along Forest Road/A503 Walthamstow. I was filmed 'blocking' a box junction and was sent a fine (£130, reduced to £65 if I paid in 28 days). The exit was clear. I crossed the junction and (admittedly) the back of the car was still about 18 inches over the box. A very minor error of judgement. I still had room to pull further forward if required. There was no way I was blocking the junction. I appealed. They turned it down. I appealed again and was sent a summons to attend the High Court (it was EC4 anyway)! I submitted my 'evidence' and thought at least I would have my day in Court to represent myself and appeal for a test of "reasonableness" to be applied. Waltham Forest dropped the case a week before the hearing. So if it's marginal - contest the b*stards.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Its nothing of the sort.

Hi Spen, I’d like to challenge your assertion that local government does not get the speeding fine money. Let me educate you. LBWF which is Waltham Forest if you didn’t know, have a 20mph speed limit in the borough. It can fine drivers for exceeding this limit through legislation passed by central government allowing local government to do just that.

I checked with my friend on the serious crimes squad and he said to me “20mph is not an enforceable speed limit that we would enforce. It’s powers that were given to local authorities to catch drivers in excess of this speed, fine them and keep the revenue. If you exceed the 30mph limit we would of course enforce that, but not the 20.”

So if you get done for exceeding the 20mph limit in Waltham Forest the money goes to the council, not central government and not the police. So I’m afraid your wrong on this one my old China.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Bloody hell!! That's a bit of a hammer blow. It's not like Thor to win an argument.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 pm Bloody hell!! That's a bit of a hammer blow. It's not like Thor to win an argument.
Is he right though?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tele ... cided/amp/

The article is a few years old granted but I think he’s only 40% correct and his mate should be done for impersonating a copper😂😂
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:57 am
Its nothing of the sort.

Nothing strange. ACPO guidance says they won't prosecute until you exceed speed limit plus 10% plus 2mph. So I drive at that speed.

If I get caught and prosecuted then I accept my prosecution because I have broken the law.

I don't complain that it's a tax or somehow unfair. The law is clear. Get caught breaking it & you deserve your punishment
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Spen I am not arguing against the law of the land, I know what it is and I try to abide by it.

However, it's a proven fact that the faster one drives the safer it actually is. I know that sounds daft, but more accidents happen at slower speeds than at high speed. At high speed your senses are heightened and you remain alert due to the speed you are driving at. At lower speed your senses lessen, you have more distractions, more things to look at and more things interacting with you as you drive, for example, children, traffic lights, parked cars, zebra crossings, you get my drift?

I think that it is entirely reasonable for the national speed limit to be increased to 80mph and that the roads would still be as safe as they are now.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Article_50 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 pm The Police have sent me a Fixed Penalty Notice saying that I was photographed speeding on the A414, they didn't include their photo. Any advice please ?? Thanks
Maybe if your name was Canelo and you wanted to hit close to 150mpg going through a tunnel somewhere between Paris and Monaco it would be ok for you!

Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Oh yeah I see the higher speed boy racers.Thors living in a dreamworld.I cycle quite a few of the south and east end backstreets and there are some I just avoid.Some I can't avoid.Sad that I have to avoid roads because of stupid ignorant idiots.True about distractions,though.Luckily for me I tend not to get distracted and concentrate on what I am doing.Even after getting up at 2am and working all day. Actually the east end backstreets are worse.This is before |I get onto the main roads.

To be honest, the way people drive with lack of thought and too high a speed is worrying.Plus the car culture here and lack of traffic police means it's a bundle of fun. Definitely got worse since I first started cycle commuting in the early 1980's.

What is it with indicating now? Why signal two seconds if that before the actual manoeuvre if at all? Total waste of time.Motorists block pedestrian lights all the time.At Limehouse there are three examples I can think of but probably more but no yellow box thingy.Then bleat on here when they get fined for actually blocking one or speeding.It's not nice when someone passes me at 50mph 3 inches from my handlebars and I'm pretty sure some people do it deliberately.

Saying that it's only a smallish minority,though but even that's too many.I've lost friends to dodgy car drivers including some cyclists and I know a few who have had nasty accidents with cars which wasn't their fault.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I’m not saying it’s ok to do that speed, I was highlighting the fact that a famous person has done 150mph posted it to his millions of followers and that’s ok. It would also appear no action has been taken against him despite video evidence being present.

The op was done for speeding and received the appropriate notification from the authorities for speeding.

The point I was making was that if you are famous it’s looks like it’s both ok to speed and get away with it, whilst the op is just a normal person who gets prosecuted. One rule for one and one rule for another, that was the point I was making.

I do feel for you bike riding though as you’re right there are a lot of idiots out there now.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Get it our end. Arguments with my fellow cyclists on cycle forums and other places.I don't post on cycle forums anymore I don't agree with the culture..It's ok to red light jump because it's safer.What a load of old bawlocks that is.I've actually had two near misses with red light jumping cyclists recently,not cars because they are firking clueless of the risk they take when they do it and disregarding other road users/pedestrians.

Beckham makes me laugh though.Got done for being photographed using his mobile (allegedly) but couldn't remember using it.If he's used it once that possiblyy wouldn't be the first time.Perhaps I am wrong and he's a model citizen and only uses it when he's parked.I think he was in traffic (allegedly) when he was (allegedly) pictured using it.The mobile phone culture doesn't make me confident as all do it.Cyclists/pedestrians and motorists in a dodgy unsafe enviroment.Do you like the amount of times I used allegedly,there?

.......anyway no problem here and you haven't gone down the path that all cyclists red light jump and don't pay road tax. :lol:
RealLoughtonO
Fresh Alias

Post by RealLoughtonO »

Don't get the Beckham thing at all.

Perhaps he's hit hard times and had to buy a Bentley without hands-free Bluetooth facilities.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-g ... e-48608963

Not the first and wont be the last.Even making excuses of a dodgy power cable (allegedly)

I doubt very much this will stop people doing it but hey ho.