Tory Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Tory Watch

Post by NuneatonO's »

NuneatonO's wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:37 pm
Thor wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:59 am Created plenty of jobs, jobs that pay moneymthat allow you to live, buy a house, car holiday or whatever it is that floats your boat.

Created the highest number of people in work ever.
Created one of if no the lowest unemployed number in our history.
Record investment in the NHS
Allow councils to build homes once more
Apprenticeships
Record inward investment in to our country
Cut red tape
Education with accountability via the academy system.
Leading the climate change efforts in the world
Reduction in fuel bills through legislation
Income tax thresholds increased yearly
Low inflation
Defect was reducing and moving to surplus before this virus struck
Pension annuity scrapped
BREXIT

There's plenty more to list, but I've got a things to do.
Created the highest number of people in work ever/Created one of if no the lowest unemployed number in our history.
Does that include the ever-increasing amount of part-timers, zero-hour contracts and the 36% who are working - but on such a crap minimum wage, that they have to claim Universal Credit?

Record investment in the NHS
Incorrect. The Labour Party invested more on two occasions - between 2004/05 and 2009/10.

Allow councils to build homes once more
Does this include Tory Northamptonshire Council - who were bankrupt because of cuts from Central Government? Or Tory-run Somerset, Norfolk and Lancashire Councils; who were on the brink of bankruptcy? Seriously, if there's one thing that a Tory should steer clear of, it's waving the flag about affordable house-building. I'll readily admit that Labour, under Blair, were just as much to blame for this. A dire performance all round.

Apprenticeships
Excellent achievement - albeit, I note that it had started falling whilst on Johnson's :clown watch (not including the Pandemic period, obviously).

Record inward investment in to our country
Incorrect. The highest level of inward investment achieved was under a Labour Government - 2005/2006

Cut red tape
This is a wide open statement. I assume however that you aren't referring to Brexit! :lol:

Education with accountability via the academy system.
The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) must have got their Parliamentary Report wrong in 2019 then - you need to tell them. The report concluded that the education of tens of thousands of children had been damaged by academy failures and the misuse of public funds.

Leading the climate change efforts in the world
Indeed - thanks to Labour's Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Act 2006 and The Climate Change Act 2008. Is Johnson :clown however committed to Climare Change? Lest we forget although he has repeatedly called for reduced emissions, he has always demonstrated opposition to onshore wind subsidies, emissions-based vehicle taxes and carbon capture and storage. He was also shown to have declared donations of £5,000 from Michael Hintze and £25,000 from Terence Mordaunt (via First Corporate Shipping), who fund the climate science sceptic Global Warming Policy Foundation

Reduction in fuel bills through legislation
You are kidding, right? Whilst the cost of Gas has remained stable, Electricity (by the second quarter of 2019) was at an all time higher cost. Meanwhile, you can't be making many trips to petrol stations - fuel prices at the pumps have continued to rise.

Income tax thresholds increased yearly
Good achievement. Must do better though - and clamp down particularly upon Corporate tax-dodgers. Pigs will fly first.

Low inflation
According to the Office for National Statistics composite price index, today's prices in 2020 are 29.07% higher than average prices since 2010. The British pound experienced an average inflation rate of 2.58% per year during this period, causing the real value of a pound to decrease. Not to mention that low inflation also risks a boom and bust economic model - not the best option right now, given the Pandemic and a potential No Deal Brexit, is it.

Defect was reducing and moving to surplus before this virus struck
Not sure what you mean by this?

Pension annuity scrapped
I'm sure that, as this primarily benefitted very wealthy pensioners, they have lapped this up. "Another World Cruise anyone"? Maybe not.

BREXIT
:D :clown :lol: :D :clown :lol: :D :clown :lol: :D :clown :lol: :D :clown :lol: :D :lol:

How's Johnson's :clown 'all-singing, all-dancing, oven-ready Brexit Deal' going?

There's plenty more to list, but I've got a things to do.
Shame. I await them with great anticipation.

Just as an aside, speaking of Tories, has missing simpleton Mark Francois been found? :roll:
Have you got time to list plenty more or have you still got things to do?
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Now that Labour have completed their investigation into 'Anti-semitism' have the Conservative Party set a date yet, to investigate the ongoing Islamophobia and Racism within their Party?

Probably not.........given the 'previous' of Johnson the :clown !

This is just a snapshot of recent articles within the media:

Tory councillor Linda Symes accused of racist posts on social media
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... cial-media

Tory councillor, Robin Vickery, suspended for sharing post saying BAME people should be deported
https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/07/tory-cou ... to=cbshare

Suspended Tory councillor Bob Allen loses job after blaming immigrants and 'BAME community' for local lockdown
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 66941.html

Conservative Denmead councillor Judith Clementson suspended from party accused of Islamophobic posts on anonymous Twitter account
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/polit ... nt-2891420

Cllr David Burgess-Joyce, who made racist comment about black MP could return to Tory group
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... t-18635493

Redcar Tory councillor Malcolm Griffiths, suspended in Islamophobia probe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-50417667

Aberdeen Conservative councillor Ryan Houghton, has had his suspension lifted over alleged anti-Semitic, Islamophobic and homophobic comments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-52963074

Tory Walsall councillor Vera Waters suspended over 'racist comments on social media'

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/pol ... ial-media/
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Mayor of Greater Manchester says it is clear the system was 'inherently biased' against larger education institutions

https://www.tes.com/news/a-level-result ... ssion=true

What a truly unforgivable, unfair clusterf**k of utter mismanagement by the wealthy Tory Elite.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Car Crash Government anyone? :D

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So Dr Kelly who was murdered under a labour government is some how in the car with the tories? Please explain why as I'm missing that link.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Thor wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:57 pm So Dr Kelly who was murdered under a labour government is some how in the car with the tories? Please explain why as I'm missing that link.
It's not Dr. Kelly.............it's Howard Shipman!

Maybe that's why you're missing that link? :lol:
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

NuneatonO's wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:06 pm
Thor wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:57 pm So Dr Kelly who was murdered under a labour government is some how in the car with the tories? Please explain why as I'm missing that link.
It's not Dr. Kelly.............it's Howard Shipman!

Maybe that's why you're missing that link? :lol:
The reference must be like,
We may as well just let this bloke be in charge of the virus stuff,
What could possibly go.wrong

Lots of people dead ?

Ah the Rabid Rights lack of a sense of humour !
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Dominic Cummings urged to release data to disprove claim of second lockdown trip

Ex-regional chief prosecutor calls on PM’s chief aide to reveal mobile phone and vehicle tracking information
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... kdown-trip

"Oh what a tangled web we weave"......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Yet another work of art.

Oh what an absolutely glorious day this would be!

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Long lists like this are always interesting. How easy is it to produce such lists for both major parties? Pretty easy. It’s a pointless exercise. Tit for tat stuff. Glass houses and so on. Same for quoting media stories.

Same for the economic data. Plenty of stuff out there to prove black is white. Depending on whose articles you read. And your own personal agenda. Read what you want, ignore the bits you don’t like. If it’s in the Guardian take it as Gospel, if it’s in the Mail it’s all lies. Nonsense like that. Pure bias.

Personally I thought Labour did well following the 97 election. Though it’s fair to say the economy was on the up when they won and their honeymoon period was a long and good one. But Brown started to screw up, under the impression the boom would last for ever. Which of course it didn’t. He left us badly prepared for the storm. So good and bad under Labour, good and bad under the Tories.

The answer. At each GE I look at which leader is likely to be better, don’t give a toss about the party. Last time out disliked both. So went for the lesser of the two idiots in charge.

Anybody believe Corbyn and Abbott would have done better than Johnson and his muppets? All a bunch of ...
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

You're quite lucky though really Dohnut, because you are bang smack in the middle with no bias either way yourself.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

PoliticOs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:31 pm You're quite lucky though really Dohnut, because you are bang smack in the middle with no bias either way yourself.
Nobody is free from bias in my opinion. Certainly not me. I accept my faults in this area. Which is why I openly accept I may be wrong because of this. And why I read other people’s views.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

So how do we stop it and vote smartly, do you think?

I read the Daily Mail, the Guardian, The Mirror (all online), Washington Post, NYTimes. I read social media. I own several books about conservatism. I have Thatcher's book. I have Marx. With all this information available to me I believe that left wing politics and at least centre-left politics is both important and vital for the world. Am I too biased or not?

Where does bias become 'considered opinion'? Is my opinion less biased than yours because I DO care about the party involved and the people involved in that, when you do not. By being more informed than you are (by your own admission) am I more or less biased or just more informed?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

PoliticOs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:31 pm You're quite lucky though really Dohnut, because you are bang smack in the middle with no bias either way yourself.
:lol:
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

PoliticOs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:03 pm So how do we stop it and vote smartly, do you think?

I read the Daily Mail, the Guardian, The Mirror (all online), Washington Post, NYTimes. I read social media. I own several books about conservatism. I have Thatcher's book. I have Marx. With all this information available to me I believe that left wing politics and at least centre-left politics is both important and vital for the world. Am I too biased or not?

Where does bias become 'considered opinion'? Is my opinion less biased than yours because I DO care about the party involved and the people involved in that, when you do not. By being more informed than you are (by your own admission) am I more or less biased or just more informed?
When does bias become considered opinion is the right question, in my opinion.

How I see it is when I hear people say

All Tories are scum
All Labour people are thugs
All rich people are selfish aholes
Labour can’t run the economy
Tories feck everything up
All police are racists
It’s in the Guardian so it must be true or v/v
It’s in the Mail so it must be a lie or v/v

You get my point I’m sure. This type of comment I see as bias. Opinions based solely on the group they belong too. Irrational.

The Tories screwed up the exam system and other such comments are considered opinion. I formed an opinion based on the mess, not because it was a Tory.

It seems to me that there are many decent, honest people In both the Labour and Tory party. Both seem to have their share of idiots too. But I form opinions by listening to what they say or do, not the party they belong too. Sometimes my opinion is wrong. Such is life.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Dohnut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:26 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:03 pm So how do we stop it and vote smartly, do you think?

All Tories are scum
All police are racists

You get my point I’m sure. This type of comment I see as bias. Opinions based solely on the group they belong too. Irrational.

The Tories screwed up the exam system and other such comments are considered opinion. I formed an opinion based on the mess, not because it was a Tory.

It seems to me that there are many decent, honest people In both the Labour and Tory party. Both seem to have their share of idiots too. But I form opinions by listening to what they say or do, not the party they belong too. Sometimes my opinion is wrong. Such is life.
Doh
The Tory thread is to slag off the scummy tory party

The labour thread is to slag off them if you are from
The rabid right .

Stop your middle of the roading on threads of wind up & hate
Start a middle of the road thread for such views please !!
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

All Tories are scum
All police are racists

I think you are quicker to defend the Tory party than you are the Labour party (going by your posts), which may show some form of bias. You may disagree.

That aside, where does the nuance come in? It can't always be bang smack in the middle. Lets say education for example, if we can see clear evidence of many failings by the Tories and much less by Labour, can we claim it as considered opinion or bias?

All politicians lie, for example. We hear that often. I've heard you say many times 'and Labour don't?!' when someone is giving the Tories some stick. In the general election buildup there was VERY clear evidence the Tories lied much, much more than Labour did. Can we say they are worse or do we have to stick in the safe zone because Labour did too, albeit far, far less often.

If we say things like 'can we really see Corbyn and Dianne Abbott being any better?' is that opinion, or bias?

See what I mean.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

PoliticOs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:42 pm

All Tories are scum
All police are racists

I think you are quicker to defend the Tory party than you are the Labour party (going by your posts), which may show some form of bias. You may disagree.

That aside, where does the nuance come in? It can't always be bang smack in the middle. Lets say education for example, if we can see clear evidence of many failings by the Tories and much less by Labour, can we claim it as considered opinion or bias?

All politicians lie, for example. We hear that often. I've heard you say many times 'and Labour don't?!' when someone is giving the Tories some stick. In the general election buildup there was VERY clear evidence the Tories lied much, much more than Labour did. Can we say they are worse or do we have to stick in the safe zone because Labour did too, albeit far, far less often.

If we say things like 'can we really see Corbyn and Dianne Abbott being any better?' is that opinion, or bias?

See what I mean.
My Opinion of Corbyn may well contain bias. I don’t like his history nor did I like what I saw and heard much of the time. I see him as incompetent. Though I like some of his policies. As for Abbott, her hypocrisy is on YouTube for all to see, alongside some real car crash interviews As much as I dislike Johnson I voted for him over Corbyn, as did many of the electorate.

As for being quicker to defend the Tories. I invite you to find any negative comments I made about Starmer. I haven’t. I hope he becomes a serious contender in 4 years. I’ve made more negative comments about Johnson than Starmer for sure.

I have no idea if all politicians lie as such, I have little doubt they bend the truth as they see fit. Then I have no doubt us ordinary folk are no better. If you are referring to a previous post on Tory lies, I was merely pointing out two things, the first was the bias of the accusers and secondly the amusing adjustment to the Labour lies figure. I have no doubt Tory accusers could have produced stats that showed the reverse. For example I saw the Labour manifesto as a massive lie. Absolutely no chance of implementing all that stuff, something they themselves acknowledge. So what is a lie?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Dohnut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:39 pm Long lists like this are always interesting. How easy is it to produce such lists for both major parties? Pretty easy. It’s a pointless exercise. Tit for tat stuff. Glass houses and so on. Same for quoting media stories.

Same for the economic data. Plenty of stuff out there to prove black is white. Depending on whose articles you read. And your own personal agenda. Read what you want, ignore the bits you don’t like. If it’s in the Guardian take it as Gospel, if it’s in the Mail it’s all lies. Nonsense like that. Pure bias.

Personally I thought Labour did well following the 97 election. Though it’s fair to say the economy was on the up when they won and their honeymoon period was a long and good one. But Brown started to screw up, under the impression the boom would last for ever. Which of course it didn’t. He left us badly prepared for the storm. So good and bad under Labour, good and bad under the Tories.

The answer. At each GE I look at which leader is likely to be better, don’t give a toss about the party. Last time out disliked both. So went for the lesser of the two idiots in charge.

Anybody believe Corbyn and Abbott would have done better than Johnson and his muppets? All a bunch of ...
When was the 'good bit' under the Tories?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Dohnut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:39 pm Long lists like this are always interesting. How easy is it to produce such lists for both major parties? Pretty easy. It’s a pointless exercise. Tit for tat stuff. Glass houses and so on. Same for quoting media stories.

:lol:
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Dohnut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:26 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:42 pm

All Tories are scum
All police are racists

See what I mean.
My Opinion of Corbyn may well contain bias. I don’t like his history nor did I like what I saw and heard much of the time. I see him as incompetent. Though I like some of his policies. As for Abbott, her hypocrisy is on YouTube for all to see, alongside some real car crash interviews As much as I dislike Johnson I voted for him over Corbyn, as did many of the electorate.

As for being quicker to defend the Tories. I invite you to find any negative comments I made about Starmer. I haven’t. I hope he becomes a serious contender in 4 years. I’ve made more negative comments about Johnson than Starmer for sure.

I have no idea if all politicians lie as such, I have little doubt they bend the truth as they see fit. Then I have no doubt us ordinary folk are no better. If you are referring to a previous post on Tory lies, I was merely pointing out two things, the first was the bias of the accusers and secondly the amusing adjustment to the Labour lies figure. I have no doubt Tory accusers could have produced stats that showed the reverse. For example I saw the Labour manifesto as a massive lie. Absolutely no chance of implementing all that stuff, something they themselves acknowledge. So what is a lie?
Doh, I don’t think you can say that the Labour manifesto was a massive lie. I honestly believe that Corbyn and his socialist gang would have done or tried to do everything they said in it. That’s where my problem was with it. They had some good policies in there for sure however, they had some seriously bad ones as well.

So for you to suggest that their manifesto was a massive lie is in my eyes wrong and challengsble.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Dohnut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:26 pm When does bias become considered opinion is the right question, in my opinion.

All Tories are scum
All police are racists

Just to give you some feedback on the very good list of points that you mention:

All Tories are scum - I certainly consider such a strong word sums up this current bunch of incompetent, charlatans within the Cabinet ; and of course, the self-servers within the ERG. I certainly don't consider all Tory voters scum - some of my friends have been/or are life-long Tories. However, even at my age, I just cannot see to this day how anyone can vote for them. From my perspective, they have always been the party of greed; and for the privileged.

All Labour people are thugs - I've never been a thug. As a Pacifist, I abhor violence or warfare of any kind (WW2 and fighting Facism aside).

All rich people are selfish aholes - I would never say that as it's too wide a statement. Tax-avoiding millionaires do indeed make my blood boil; along with the "I'm alright Jack" brigade. Probably because although I grew up in a poor family, we always paid our bills on time. Moreover, I absolutely abhor the class divide; and hate to see hardship and the pure waste of a decent human life and lack of dignity for all. Homelessness? Food Banks? Zero-hour contracts? One in four children living below the poverty line? Racism? Enduring these things in the 21st Century.......seriously? Things really should be much better - for everyone. To be honest, money, wealth or possessions have never interested me in the slightest. Maybe that's why I just cannot get my head around greed and selfishness.

Labour can’t run the economy - one of my biggest gripes. I truly believe that we handle the economy very well; and that until the World crash, Gordon Brown was one of the best Chancellors that we've ever had in the UK.

Tories feck everything up - particularly since 2016, I don't think that many people can argue with that statement!

All police are racists - absolutely ridiculous. A viewpoint that even as a left-leaning person, I would never agree with. They perform an incredibly difficult job; and in an ever-worsening society.

It’s in the Guardian so it must be true - most of the time.

It’s in the Mail so it must be a lie - the Mail does tell the truth occasionally; albeit generally as often as an a Solar Eclipse. ;)

Then we come on to this bloke. I was reading this story before venturing on to the forum. How anyone can support the Premiership of this bone-idle, privileged chancer leaves me absolutely gobsmacked. Just look at his 'previous' here of not taking responsibility. The guy is a total bloody fraud:

Yet again, the Prime Minister :clown is missing in action!
https://labourlist.org/2020/08/yet-agai ... in-action/
Last edited by NuneatonO's on Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Gordon brown was one of the best chancellors we’ve ever had, said NuneatonO.

Yes he did some good things no doubt about it however he contributed to the global crash as he failed to regulate the banks. If the banks did not know they were buying sub prime debt then they were negligent, if they did know that they were indeed buying sub prime debt then they were negligent. All the while brown did nothing to stop them.

Following on from thatcher releasing the personal borrowing restrictions brown allowed the man in the street to borrow, borrow and borrow without putting any kind of brakes in the system or checks and balances. Banks raped the man in the street with high interest rates and the ability to repossess the products if they failed to pay for them.

They let the housing market rise in an uncontrolled fashion which ripped out the bottom rung of the ladder for many people. That also allowed in boom and bust on property prices with many stuck in negative equity due to the above when the crash happened.

He took away the 10p starting rate of tax, a rate which helped the lowest paid people in society. Nice one Gordon you idiot.

He robbed our pensions funds for what was it 5bn in the first year and rising after that?

He sold our gold off at rock bottom prices as well.

PPFI scandal as well.