Lure of the O's

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Re: Lure of the O's

Post by LittleMate »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:05 pm Lets face it, we aren't a lure at all.

We are located in one of the most expensive places to live in the country (and possibly the world).
We have a rookie manager who is unproven.
We've very recently been in non-league.
We finished bottom half and have essentially the same squad.

I think we are going to struggle to secure very good players in the next few years.
All of that does not matter IMO. A player will look at what league they are being asked to play in - and by the club that's asking them - because that would then determine wages. Location will also be important.

After clearing those initial hurdles the major factor will be selling the manager/club's philosophy/outlook. Personally I don't see a unique one at the O's right now - not in the manager or the club. On the pitch and the training ground I don't know what we stand for at the club. A good example of what I'm talking about right now is both Spurs and Arsenal. Spurs are now seen as defensive and dour; Arsenal have a clear modern vision. As a result very few players are being linked with Spurs and anyone with any ability is interested in joining Arteta's project there. Kent talks a lot about vision, but I don't think the coaching set up (Ling downwards) has one. I think JE might have had one, but it left when he passed away. Until we have someone to create a footballing identity, we will continue to trap the odd player, but we won't be pulling decent players around us until we do.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Since RE came back into the role permanently we've signed Cisse, Vigouroux and Johnson. 2 of 3 of these are very good League Two signings.

They seemed alright with it.

P.S You said those things do not matter whilst then using examples AW just used.
KC & sunshine band
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by KC & sunshine band »

There are thousands of people would be very happy to have a contract and employment of work
Even better if it was a professional football club contract
Even better if it was a team in the EFL, and in London
Even better if the club had lots of coaches to improve talent
playing football for a living, not a bad life
We aint that bad a lure are we
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Jaggsy1979 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:14 pm As I said, the rumour pages mostly talk bollocks, but McCallum was one of a few names we were linked with, but as you say we probably weren't really in for

Here's all the ones I have seen and the resulting outcomes...

Hayden White (Mansfield) - apparently in talks with Oldham
Paul McCallum (Solihull Moors) - signed a perm deal with Dagenham & Redbridge
Manny Onarise (Dagenham & Redbridge) - Signed for Scunthorpe
Ricardo Santos (Barnet) - Signed for Bolton Wanderers
Alex Woodyard (cant remember previous club) - close to signing a deal with Tranmere Rovers
Jay Spearing (Blackpool) - Signed for Tranmere Rovers
Simeon Akinola (Barnet) - Now available on a free, hasnt signed anywhere else yet
Elliott Freer (Forest Green) - according to the rumour page that posted it, we have signed him on a 2 year deal with an option for a third, but this was posted nearly two weeks ago, so safe to say its utter bollocks, as far as I know hes still with FGR
Alex Lacey (Notts County) - Now out of contract but has been offered a new deal
Mark Byrne (Gillingham) - has left Gills to return to Ireland
Anthony Wordsworth (Wimbledon) - not sure if we were in, and think he has been offered a new deal by the Dons

There was another one, cant remember his name if i'm honest - think hes injured a lot as people on here were joking that he meets Lings usual requirements

Any that I have missed?

Oh, and apparently (apparently being the key word) we were in talks to re-sign George Marsh on loan from Spurs again
I will be pleased if the George Marsh rumour turns out to be true. He’s a better RB than both Ling and Judd
Jaggsy1979
Fresh Alias

Post by Jaggsy1979 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:02 pm
Jaggsy1979 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:14 pm As I said, the rumour pages mostly talk bollocks, but McCallum was one of a few names we were linked with, but as you say we probably weren't really in for

Here's all the ones I have seen and the resulting outcomes...

Hayden White (Mansfield) - apparently in talks with Oldham
Paul McCallum (Solihull Moors) - signed a perm deal with Dagenham & Redbridge
Manny Onarise (Dagenham & Redbridge) - Signed for Scunthorpe
Ricardo Santos (Barnet) - Signed for Bolton Wanderers
Alex Woodyard (cant remember previous club) - close to signing a deal with Tranmere Rovers
Jay Spearing (Blackpool) - Signed for Tranmere Rovers
Simeon Akinola (Barnet) - Now available on a free, hasnt signed anywhere else yet
Elliott Freer (Forest Green) - according to the rumour page that posted it, we have signed him on a 2 year deal with an option for a third, but this was posted nearly two weeks ago, so safe to say its utter bollocks, as far as I know hes still with FGR
Alex Lacey (Notts County) - Now out of contract but has been offered a new deal
Mark Byrne (Gillingham) - has left Gills to return to Ireland
Anthony Wordsworth (Wimbledon) - not sure if we were in, and think he has been offered a new deal by the Dons

There was another one, cant remember his name if i'm honest - think hes injured a lot as people on here were joking that he meets Lings usual requirements

Any that I have missed?

Oh, and apparently (apparently being the key word) we were in talks to re-sign George Marsh on loan from Spurs again
There were a lot of groans about him being played out of position (as he is mostly a central midfielder) and again a lot of this was blamed on Ross' tactical ineptitude but Poch was playing him for Spurs at RB in their pre-season, suppose Poch is a crap manager with poor tactical knowledge too

But that aside, I think he was better at RB than our current options, worked his ass off and got stuck in to a tackle...happily have him back

I will be pleased if the George Marsh rumour turns out to be true. He’s a better RB than both Ling and Judd
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Could see this happening, Soteriou signs new contract and then one of Angol or Wilkinson moves on. The club then bring in a natural big centre forward come target man either experienced or younger on loan from premier/championship club.
This makes the forward line more balanced with Johnson, Soteriou and either of the other two playing of a target man.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

There was me thinking this was going to be about fishing.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

tuffers#1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:59 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:04 pm
gshaw wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 pm

Let me flip that back on you, based on last season what is our style of football under Embleton?
You seen unsure what football identity is, style of play is different from the profile a club has that makes it what is.

Football wise I thought we looked better as the season went on, difficult for Embleton early on because of everything going on around JE we were a club very much in transition, he was managing "JE's team". Being elevated into that position too early in his career didn't help Ross and he was clearly conflicted wanting to do the best thing for the club whilst being uncomfortable and finding the pressure difficult, but I think anyone of Ross's age would be the same. That said his demeanour is much better now he seems more positive and confident and like it or not he is highly regarded by the players and enough to pursuade a very good player in Cisse to sign for us when he had other options.

To be honest we were no better or worse than 60% of league two for most of the season for most of it we looked a very average team in a very average league. But it's a game of fine margins as was proven once Cisse arrived, it galvenised people (fans included) and allowed others in the team to push forward and I thought we looked capable going forward in the last few games and much better than we did for the earlier part of the season.

Profile wise I think we identify as a solid community club and a squad with some very talented players, we have a great fanbase and are very well run by the owners, that alone will help some players decide they want to be here, we clearly have the potential to push on to a top half finish but let's see who we bring in before now and the start of the season.
Would have been interesting to see how many of the games not played we could have won.

Still roll on the new season & hope
its a very succesful one .

Up the O's
😁
We still have Ross as our manager.

It would have been ‘interesting’ to see how many of the games not played we would have lost.

Would rather Hendon came back TBH.
Orient Punxx
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Orient Punxx »

Surely - it would have been more ‘interesting’ to see how many games we would have won.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Disoriented wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:08 am

You seen unsure what football identity is, style of play is different from the profile a club has that makes it what is.

Football wise I thought we looked better as the season went on, difficult for Embleton early on because of everything going on around JE we were a club very much in transition, he was managing "JE's team". Being elevated into that position too early in his career didn't help Ross and he was clearly conflicted wanting to do the best thing for the club whilst being uncomfortable and finding the pressure difficult, but I think anyone of Ross's age would be the same. That said his demeanour is much better now he seems more positive and confident and like it or not he is highly regarded by the players and enough to pursuade a very good player in Cisse to sign for us when he had other options.

To be honest we were no better or worse than 60% of league two for most of the season for most of it we looked a very average team in a very average league. But it's a game of fine margins as was proven once Cisse arrived, it galvenised people (fans included) and allowed others in the team to push forward and I thought we looked capable going forward in the last few games and much better than we did for the earlier part of the season.

Profile wise I think we identify as a solid community club and a squad with some very talented players, we have a great fanbase and are very well run by the owners, that alone will help some players decide they want to be here, we clearly have the potential to push on to a top half finish but let's see who we bring in before now and the start of the season.
Would have been interesting to see how many of the games not played we could have won.

Up the O's
😁

It would have been ‘interesting’ to see how many of the games not played we would have lost.

I thought Hendon got a raw deal when Manager here under Bechetti.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

NuneatonO's wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am
Jaggsy1979 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am Curious to know others thoughts...on another note if we were NOT after those players, then who the hell are we after?
Coaches.
More coaches than National Express
Orient Punxx
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Orient Punxx »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:14 am

Up the O's
😁

Everyone got a raw deal under that cu nt
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Orient Punxx wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 am

Everyone got a raw deal under that cu nt
Very true, with his attitude, wonder why a man like him ever thought it would be a good idea to buy a lower league English football club ?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Up the O's
😁

So did I, but he was hounded out by the Tuffers brigade. Quite ironic, as he won’t tolerate any dissent now, but his treatment of Hendon back then was shameful.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Disoriented wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:48 am

So did I, but he was hounded out by the Tuffers brigade. Quite ironic, as he won’t tolerate any dissent now, but his treatment of Hendon back then was shameful.
Tuffers bats for the ''Devils Advocate side''
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 am

Tuffers bats for the ''Devils Advocate side''
Really?
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Jaggsy1979 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am I know that a lot of the rumour pages mostly talk bollocks but nearly every player we've been linked with has gone elsewhere, now McCallum joins that list and for a club in a lower division

Now, we don't KNOW (well some of you might) if we were in for any of these players or not, but lets just say we were in for them, this raises the question, have the O's lost their pulling power? or more importantly did we have any to begin with?

We've always been a team that scrapes about for freebies or very low fees, but are we also really tight with what we offer wage wise? a lot has been said in the past about the appeal of clubs in London but with rising housing costs etc, are we now massively at a disadvantage?

Curious to know others thoughts...on another note if we were NOT after those players, then who the hell are we after?
My thoughts are that as you've admitted noone actually knows we were after these players then the rest of your post becomes irrelevant drivel.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Up the O's
😁
Hendon guided the Mighty Europa Point to 8th in the National div of Gibraltar !
😂🤣😂🤣
😁😀
lonelybean
Fresh Alias

Post by lonelybean »

A signing is due early next week. Not a loan.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

:off
lonelybean wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:42 pm A signing is due early next week. Not a loan.
I'm sorry, have you not been reading this thread. The experts are saying no-one wants to come here
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

lonelybean wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:42 pm A signing is due early next week. Not a loan.
this is a proper OFF post. I know something you don't. If you are so sure it is happening then please name the person and if you're right we will congratulate you.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

The reality is, there isn't a lure unless you're unemployed or on the books of a much lesser club. (But that applies to most other clubs)
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

It’s about the wages mostly. Unless they are considering joining Southend and then it’s “will I actually get paid”,
lonelybean
Fresh Alias

Post by lonelybean »

Thor wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:03 pm
this is a proper OFF post. I know something you don't. If you are so sure it is happening then please name the person and if you're right we will congratulate you.
No congratulations needed. Can't name the name, defender coming in, with one likely going the other way.