Still annoyed

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Still annoyed

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Howling Mad Murdock wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:39 pm
B.whitehouse+10more wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:36 pm I was so happy to have got back into the EFL we could have lost 6-0 and I would still have gone home with a smile on my face. Fylde are welcome to the cup, ask them if they would swap it for a place in the football league.
I'm thankful they beat Salford for us. :D
No need to be because it didn't matter.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:09 pm
Stowaway wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 pm I promised myself that I would enjoy the game yesterday whatever the result, it’s be a great day out and a celebration. So why was I pretty fed up last night and actually feel quite down today?
Mainly because of the manner in which we lost, I guess. I watched Flynde last week and they were pretty awful, and I was sure we’d win comfortably, I had us down for 3-1, and we could finally put the Wembley hoodoo to bed, surely even we couldn’t lose? Instead we put in a really poor show and ballsed it up royally in front of about 30,000 fans yet again. In the end we left at the final whistle, and went home. The wife and I stopped off at a pub in Victoria just to get a decent beer for once in the day, we had a pint and then got the train back to Crystal Palace.
I’ll get over it, but I’m much more fed up then I thought I’d be. Is it just me?
Sounds to me like you made the mistake of assuming a team's typical level of performance based on one game, and expected them to play just as badly against us
This. Perhaps the OP should be more disappointed with their own thought processes, especially having seen the obvious rust the team showed after 3 weeks without a competitive fixture.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

RientO wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm
Stowaway wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 pm I promised myself that I would enjoy the game yesterday whatever the result, it’s be a great day out and a celebration. So why was I pretty fed up last night and actually feel quite down today?
Because you care. And that's a good thing.
Agree, its because you are a true fan. It hurts all true fans, but the silver lining to remember is "we are going up".
Philip J. Fry
Fresh Alias

Post by Philip J. Fry »

I'm annoyed that the players didn't turn up in a title-winning game against a relegated side AND a Wembley cup final. How much more motivation does this team need? Just a goal in one of those games would have been nice considering what was on offer
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Philip J. Fry wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 am I'm annoyed that the players didn't turn up in a title-winning game against a relegated side AND a Wembley cup final. How much more motivation does this team need? Just a goal in one of those games would have been nice considering what was on offer
Have a word mate. We turned up when it mattered, Wrexham both games, Solihull both games, Fylde both league games, Salford away, Harrogate both games. This Orient side has more bottle and character than any other I've ever seen.
Orient Punxx
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Orient Punxx »

Still hurts - convinced a few people including myself that 8/11 was a cracking price to lift the trophy!
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Red_Army wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 am
Philip J. Fry wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 am I'm annoyed that the players didn't turn up in a title-winning game against a relegated side AND a Wembley cup final. How much more motivation does this team need? Just a goal in one of those games would have been nice considering what was on offer
Have a word mate. We turned up when it mattered, Wrexham both games, Solihull both games, Fylde both league games, Salford away, Harrogate both games. This Orient side has more bottle and character than any other I've ever seen.
Agreed. It's been a while since we have seen such a gritty Orient team. The unattractive football they play is a concern and we need a minimum of 7 additions to the squad.
Philip J. Fry
Fresh Alias

Post by Philip J. Fry »

We turned up when it mattered? The Cup final mattered, and when it got to the business end of the season, we came very close to bottling it. 3 games without a win starting with that 0-0 at Barnet, and then no goals in our last 2 games. We limped over the finish line, and are very fortunate Salford lost their last two.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Philip J. Fry wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm
We turned up when it mattered? The Cup final mattered, and when it got to the business end of the season, we came very close to bottling it. 3 games without a win starting with that 0-0 at Barnet, and then no goals in our last 2 games. We limped over the finish line, and are very fortunate Salford lost their last two.
Are you being serious? We went 6 games unbeaten at the end of the season. We drew the last two games, the first being the 0-0 at Solihull, widely regarded as a fantastic result that basically sealed the title, and the 0-0 against Braintree when we didn't need to win.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

EliotNes wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 am
RientO wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm
Because you care. And that's a good thing.
Agree, its because you are a true fan. It hurts all true fans, but the silver lining to remember is "we are going up".
Careful when throwing terms like 'true fan' around.

Was the OP even at Bradford?
Philip J. Fry
Fresh Alias

Post by Philip J. Fry »

Red_Army wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Are you being serious? We went 6 games unbeaten at the end of the season. We drew the last two games, the first being the 0-0 at Solihull, widely regarded as a fantastic result that basically sealed the title, and the 0-0 against Braintree when we didn't need to win.
We went into the final month of the season with 2 games in hand over Salford, while already being a point clear. At our final game of the season, they had a chance of winning the title. Not sure where the disagreement is here.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Philip J. Fry wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm
Red_Army wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm

We went into the final month of the season with 2 games in hand over Salford, while already being a point clear. At our final game of the season, they had a chance of winning the title. Not sure where the disagreement is here.
We won the league by 3 clear points, with a much superior goal difference. You are clearly trying to talk down our achievement- that's the disagreement.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

You can't talk down our achievement. We won the league.

But Phil is kind of right in that we limped over the finish line, as ourselves and our promotion rivals all stuttered in the final month.

We had an absolutely outstanding set of results in March winning god knows how many games on the bounce (even though performances weren't all that but let's not go into that). Then we lost our way, drawing at Barnet (where we were awful), losing at tinpot Bromley (where we were awful and I thought we'd thrown it away) and then a draw at home to poxy Halifax.

Thankfully we turned it around with 3 massive back to back wins.
Philip J. Fry
Fresh Alias

Post by Philip J. Fry »

It was a great achievement, definitely. As a season, it has been a success. I just don't think we've been decent for a while now, with my original point being that our last 2 games have had a trophy on the line, and both times we played terribly and couldn't even score.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm You can't talk down our achievement. We won the league.

But Phil is kind of right in that we limped over the finish line, as ourselves and our promotion rivals all stuttered in the final month.

We had an absolutely outstanding set of results in March winning god knows how many games on the bounce (even though performances weren't all that but let's not go into that). Then we lost our way, drawing at Barnet (where we were awful), losing at tinpot Bromley (where we were awful and I thought we'd thrown it away) and then a draw at home to poxy Halifax.

That's not true though is it. We were second best at Barnet but we were inches from nicking a win. We were far from awful at Bromley, we just got done with a few decisions going against us. We got sucker punched with two first half goals by Halifax and came back and took a really important point. We were magnificent against Eastleigh, and got really good wins against Sutton and Harrogate. We then got the magnificent point at Solihull and did what was required in a strange game against Braintree.

I know some people are sore that they hedged against us, but to try and paint our title win as a fluke, a bad one in comparison, or any other revisionist lesser achievement is frankly nonsense.
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

Thor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 pm
O Superman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 pm Disappointed, yes, certainly with the first half performance. But then I'm 'disappointed' every time we lose. Gutted? certainly not. I had a great day out with the Old Man (who is 88 and has supported the Os all his life). Shame it didn't work out but I was nowhere near as upset as I was after the Rotherham match. Everyone has different expectations though and I went there very much with the mindset that the main job was already done.Actually, I though that was the opinion of most people given the number who have been banging on all season that the Trophy would scupper any chance we had of winning the league. :D
I’m pleased you managed to watch the o’s with your dad, nothing beats watching the game with your dad. I hope he enjoyed the day if not the result.
He loved it thanks. He spent the whole of the first half repeating the mantra 'they're faster to the bloody ball than us'!..... He was right as well! :D
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

In retrospect it seems the story was written in the stars for us to win the league and leave the trophy to Fylde.

Such fine margins, we may have hit the post 3 times on Sunday but compare that against the value of the chance missed against us from 2 yards out that hit the inside of the post and came out (home game, can't even remember who against now) and it just has that aura of our name being on the NL Champions cup.

Doesn't excuse the first half on Sunday though, that was bloody awful, a little reminder we're not entitled to win just by turning up. A good lesson for next season in the end, no complacency allowed
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Red_Army wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:21 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm You can't talk down our achievement. We won the league.

That's not true though is it. We were second best at Barnet but we were inches from nicking a win. We were far from awful at Bromley, we just got done with a few decisions going against us. We got sucker punched with two first half goals by Halifax and came back and took a really important point. We were magnificent against Eastleigh, and got really good wins against Sutton and Harrogate. We then got the magnificent point at Solihull and did what was required in a strange game against Braintree.

I know some people are sore that they hedged against us, but to try and paint our title win as a fluke, a bad one in comparison, or any other revisionist lesser achievement is frankly nonsense.
Little point in continuing this, I think.

Who is saying our title win was a fluke? We were less than flattering in the final run in, I don’t see the issue in admitting that. However many times you throw ‘magnificent’ into your game descriptions, I’m not going to change my mind on that.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

But we did what we had to do, end of. How you get there don’t really matter, that you get there does, and we did.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Absolutely.
The Big Shot
Fresh Alias

Post by The Big Shot »

If someone had offered me the league title and and runner up in the FA Trophy 9 months ago - I'd have bitten your arm off for it.

People need to look at the bigger picture. The wins at Brackley and twice over Telford were part of a nine game winning streak and gave the players believe and confidence to finish the job in winning the league, thats good enough for me.

I'm sure Fylde would gladly swap cups with us............
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

But we didn't even get there badly! We were 6 games unbeaten.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

There’s some pretty shady results in there.

Those 3 massive wins in the middle of the dodgy spell are what got us over the line.

Red, it doesnt matter how we did it, we got the job done!

NATIONAL LEAGUE Sa 30Mar 2019 Barnet 0 - 0 Leyton Orient

NATIONAL LEAGUE Tu 02Apr 2019 Bromley 2 - 1 Leyton Orient

NATIONAL LEAGUE Sa 06Apr 2019 Leyton Orient 2 - 2 Halifax

NATIONAL LEAGUE Tu 09Apr 2019 Leyton Orient 3 - 2 Eastleigh

NATIONAL LEAGUE Sa 13Apr 2019 Sutton Utd 1 - 2 Leyton Orient

NATIONAL LEAGUE Fr 19Apr 2019 Leyton Orient 2 - 0 Harrogate T

NATIONAL LEAGUE Mo 22Apr 2019 Solihull M 0 - 0 Leyton Orient

NATIONAL LEAGUE Sa 27Apr 2019 Leyton Orient 0 - 0 Braintree
orienfan64920
Fresh Alias

Post by orienfan64920 »

Don't think that constitutes limping over the line. Poor against Barnet and Braintree when it was all wrapped up, unlucky against Bromley, and then gutsy comebacks against Halifax, Eastleigh, Sutton and quality results against Harrogate and Solihull. I thought we finished the season quite well actually.