Lure of the O's

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Jaggsy1979
Fresh Alias

Lure of the O's

Post by Jaggsy1979 »

I know that a lot of the rumour pages mostly talk bollocks but nearly every player we've been linked with has gone elsewhere, now McCallum joins that list and for a club in a lower division

Now, we don't KNOW (well some of you might) if we were in for any of these players or not, but lets just say we were in for them, this raises the question, have the O's lost their pulling power? or more importantly did we have any to begin with?

We've always been a team that scrapes about for freebies or very low fees, but are we also really tight with what we offer wage wise? a lot has been said in the past about the appeal of clubs in London but with rising housing costs etc, are we now massively at a disadvantage?

Curious to know others thoughts...on another note if we were NOT after those players, then who the hell are we after?
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Lure of the O's

Post by DuvB »

Plenty of fish
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

What the dating site?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

McCallum is a NL player tbh, no loss there.

I don't think we're after anyone, wouldn't be surprised if Cissé is the only signing of the summer (and I'm bloody glad we got him).

Club looks to be going into financial survival mode for this season, lumbered with the squad from last season unable to afford any additions. In the current climate seems like batten down the hatches and ride out next season with the view other clubs won't be able to do the same.

Could be seen as prudent business wise but risky on the football front. Blind faith in the NL squad coming good this time round...

As a player coming in the club doesn't really have a footballing identity now, not really somewhere you're going to move up the pyramid via promotions or to work with a strong experienced manager to improve your game.
Last edited by gshaw on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Jaggsy1979 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am Curious to know others thoughts...on another note if we were NOT after those players, then who the hell are we after?
Coaches.
Jaggsy1979
Fresh Alias

Post by Jaggsy1979 »

Disappointing if we arent after anyone as i'm sure there are plenty of decent free agents out there, I guess the board have to make a judgement call on whether or not they can go higher with wages as a higher wage combined with a cheaper cost of living can make a lot of clubs a financially more attractive option, even if its a less competitive option
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

NuneatonO's wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am
Jaggsy1979 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am Curious to know others thoughts...on another note if we were NOT after those players, then who the hell are we after?
Coaches.
Apparently we are looking at a couple of under 16 coaches from burnley and tottenham to join Ross and the boys.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:48 am
NuneatonO's wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am
Coaches.
Apparently we are looking at a couple of under 16 coaches from burnley and tottenham to join Ross and the boys.
I hear Southend may be making some coaches redundant soon, we do love a free transfer. 😜
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Lets face it, we aren't a lure at all.

We are located in one of the most expensive places to live in the country (and possibly the world).
We have a rookie manager who is unproven.
We've very recently been in non-league.
We finished bottom half and have essentially the same squad.

I think we are going to struggle to secure very good players in the next few years.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

gshaw wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:40 am McCallum is a NL player tbh, no loss there.

I don't think we're after anyone, wouldn't be surprised if Cissé is the only signing of the summer (and I'm bloody glad we got him).

Club looks to be going into financial survival mode for this season, lumbered with the squad from last season unable to afford any additions. In the current climate seems like batten down the hatches and ride out next season with the view other clubs won't be able to do the same.

Could be seen as prudent business wise but risky on the football front. Blind faith in the NL squad coming good this time round...

As a player coming in the club doesn't really have a footballing identity now, not really somewhere you're going to move up the pyramid via promotions or to work with a strong experienced manager to improve your game.
The club have already said they expect to bring in a centre half and a striker, sorry things are not moving quickly enough for you but if you are patient you might just see some movement quite soon. Doesn't have a football identity what are you on about you really do spout some nonsense, do you think Cisse is here by accident, he believes in the club obviously a lot more than some of our fans.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

''now McCallum joins that list and for a club in a lower division''
I would be VERY surprised if Leyton Orient were looking to sign Paul McCallum this season.
Jaggsy1979
Fresh Alias

Post by Jaggsy1979 »

As I said, the rumour pages mostly talk bollocks, but McCallum was one of a few names we were linked with, but as you say we probably weren't really in for

Here's all the ones I have seen and the resulting outcomes...

Hayden White (Mansfield) - apparently in talks with Oldham
Paul McCallum (Solihull Moors) - signed a perm deal with Dagenham & Redbridge
Manny Onarise (Dagenham & Redbridge) - Signed for Scunthorpe
Ricardo Santos (Barnet) - Signed for Bolton Wanderers
Alex Woodyard (cant remember previous club) - close to signing a deal with Tranmere Rovers
Jay Spearing (Blackpool) - Signed for Tranmere Rovers
Simeon Akinola (Barnet) - Now available on a free, hasnt signed anywhere else yet
Elliott Freer (Forest Green) - according to the rumour page that posted it, we have signed him on a 2 year deal with an option for a third, but this was posted nearly two weeks ago, so safe to say its utter bollocks, as far as I know hes still with FGR
Alex Lacey (Notts County) - Now out of contract but has been offered a new deal
Mark Byrne (Gillingham) - has left Gills to return to Ireland
Anthony Wordsworth (Wimbledon) - not sure if we were in, and think he has been offered a new deal by the Dons

There was another one, cant remember his name if i'm honest - think hes injured a lot as people on here were joking that he meets Lings usual requirements

Any that I have missed?

Oh, and apparently (apparently being the key word) we were in talks to re-sign George Marsh on loan from Spurs again
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I reckon any new player here, will be a loanee, nearer the beginning of the season. Time will tell
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Top of the JES wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:30 pm Doesn't have a football identity what are you on about you really do spout some nonsense, do you think Cisse is here by accident, he believes in the club obviously a lot more than some of our fans.
Let me flip that back on you, based on last season what is our style of football under Embleton?
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Style of football and football identity are different though, are they not?

You were using that example to explain why players won't come here as they won't get promotions (even though we had one a year ago) to move up the ladder (well worded because as you know we've had many move up the ladder lately) or an experienced manager. We don't have an experienced manager though.

If you're talking style of football now, it really is the most overrated aspect of football by an absolute country mile. The top clubs can parachute players in to fit a system, the vast majority have to parachute players in to fit a budget. Also, if our style was 'total football' it would be a constant moan on here of how 'that don't work in League 2!!!!!', if it was ugly hoofball we'd be told he can't get them playing.

I think you've just chosen your horse and running with it regardless.
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Anderson Coaches have put forward a couple of drivers both have points on thier licences but it's nice to have points on the board!
Seriously was thinking that because of the financial restraints we may only be looking to sign players inside the M25 i.e no rellocation costs involved.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Question

Exactly how many players do we need in our Squad ?

Any fans able to tell me difinitvely ?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

PoliticOs wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:29 pm Style of football and football identity are different though, are they not?

You were using that example to explain why players won't come here as they won't get promotions (even though we had one a year ago) to move up the ladder (well worded because as you know we've had many move up the ladder lately) or an experienced manager. We don't have an experienced manager though.

If you're talking style of football now, it really is the most overrated aspect of football by an absolute country mile. The top clubs can parachute players in to fit a system, the vast majority have to parachute players in to fit a budget. Also, if our style was 'total football' it would be a constant moan on here of how 'that don't work in League 2!!!!!', if it was ugly hoofball we'd be told he can't get them playing.

I say it because one of the things coming out of the Sotiriou saga was that he didn't like the defensive style Embleton plays. How much truth in it is up for debate as the whole thing is one bit rumour mill but if that were correct you could see why certain flair players might think twice about Orient.

The salary cap now adds a twist to this, cost of living in London might work against us now we have the same cap as a club outside the M25. Only time will tell on how that system pans out.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

gshaw wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:30 pm Doesn't have a football identity what are you on about you really do spout some nonsense, do you think Cisse is here by accident, he believes in the club obviously a lot more than some of our fans.
Let me flip that back on you, based on last season what is our style of football under Embleton?
You seen unsure what football identity is, style of play is different from the profile a club has that makes it what is.

Football wise I thought we looked better as the season went on, difficult for Embleton early on because of everything going on around JE we were a club very much in transition, he was managing "JE's team". Being elevated into that position too early in his career didn't help Ross and he was clearly conflicted wanting to do the best thing for the club whilst being uncomfortable and finding the pressure difficult, but I think anyone of Ross's age would be the same. That said his demeanour is much better now he seems more positive and confident and like it or not he is highly regarded by the players and enough to pursuade a very good player in Cisse to sign for us when he had other options.

To be honest we were no better or worse than 60% of league two for most of the season for most of it we looked a very average team in a very average league. But it's a game of fine margins as was proven once Cisse arrived, it galvenised people (fans included) and allowed others in the team to push forward and I thought we looked capable going forward in the last few games and much better than we did for the earlier part of the season.

Profile wise I think we identify as a solid community club and a squad with some very talented players, we have a great fanbase and are very well run by the owners, that alone will help some players decide they want to be here, we clearly have the potential to push on to a top half finish but let's see who we bring in before now and the start of the season.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

gshaw wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:29 pm Style of football and football identity are different though, are they not?

I say it because one of the things coming out of the Sotiriou saga was that he didn't like the defensive style Embleton plays. How much truth in it is up for debate as the whole thing is one bit rumour mill but if that were correct you could see why certain flair players might think twice about Orient.

The salary cap now adds a twist to this, cost of living in London might work against us now we have the same cap as a club outside the M25. Only time will tell on how that system pans out.
You really don't want to take too much notice of some the "rumours" floating about on the Internet. 99.9% have no basis in fact at all.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Yes, but then don't forget the rumour that Sotiriou was offered contracts at 4 Championship clubs Under 23 teams in January (including Huddersfield) but specifically chose to see the season out at least as he personally is known to really rate Embleton's style of football. That's got to be taken into account surely?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

PoliticOs wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Yes, but then don't forget the rumour that Sotiriou was offered contracts at 4 Championship clubs Under 23 teams in January (including Huddersfield) but specifically chose to see the season out at least as he personally is known to really rate Embleton's style of football. That's got to be taken into account surely?
Thats right it only counts if it's a rumour apparently ;)
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

PoliticOs wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:15 pm

That's a new one, when was that posted? Makes his behaviour over a new contract even more bizarre if true...
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Where was yours posted out of interest?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Top of the JES wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:04 pm
gshaw wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 pm
You seen unsure what football identity is, style of play is different from the profile a club has that makes it what is.

Football wise I thought we looked better as the season went on, difficult for Embleton early on because of everything going on around JE we were a club very much in transition, he was managing "JE's team". Being elevated into that position too early in his career didn't help Ross and he was clearly conflicted wanting to do the best thing for the club whilst being uncomfortable and finding the pressure difficult, but I think anyone of Ross's age would be the same. That said his demeanour is much better now he seems more positive and confident and like it or not he is highly regarded by the players and enough to pursuade a very good player in Cisse to sign for us when he had other options.

To be honest we were no better or worse than 60% of league two for most of the season for most of it we looked a very average team in a very average league. But it's a game of fine margins as was proven once Cisse arrived, it galvenised people (fans included) and allowed others in the team to push forward and I thought we looked capable going forward in the last few games and much better than we did for the earlier part of the season.

Profile wise I think we identify as a solid community club and a squad with some very talented players, we have a great fanbase and are very well run by the owners, that alone will help some players decide they want to be here, we clearly have the potential to push on to a top half finish but let's see who we bring in before now and the start of the season.
Would have been interesting to see how many of the games not played we could have won.

Still roll on the new season & hope
its a very succesful one .

Up the O's
😁
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.